The Adventures of Pete & Pete

Grounded for Life

Aired Unknown Sep 25, 1994 on Nickelodeon

• Young Pete's Great Escape

This episode was funny obviously paroding a little on the film "The Great Escape" we saw Pete use a rather daft choice of tool for diging a tunnel, a Statue of Liberty paper weight (why the heck he never used any proper digging tools like a shovel or pick ax is anyones guess). We had a sense of suspense hoping that Dad wouldn't catch on to Pete's tunnel and seeing the intricate mining system Pete constructed. However it was really the interaction between both Young Pete and Nona (Michelle Trachkenberg) that was the real strength of the episode, both of their dilemas parallel one another since both have lost their sense of freedom and are prisoners of an enviorment they don't want any part of and yet both of them develop a bond toward one another and act as silent partners, Nona of course helps Pete out in a big way when the tables look like they could turn and could destroy the whole operation but most of all give each other a sense of freedom. The epsode hits at the theme about our neverending need to fight against an authorty that is tyranical and unfair, has tresspased by repressing our human rights. Our common anxieties over moving to a new unfamilar envorment and lonelyness. As well as our need to excape from the confinements of an inprisoning predicament and become free but also connection.