The Adventures of Superboy

(ended 1992)

wudaddy79

The Adventures of Superboy Fan Reviews (8)

7.1
  • This show not only brings back my childhood, but reinforces my belief a man can fly. yea season one was a little cheesy but after that, it was amazing what they were doing and this was the early 90's. I got hooked, if only the other seasons would come out

This show was great, along with the Flash series that was on around the same time. the work they did with props, and cameras before the major influx of cgi, and enourmous tv budgets, its phenomenal. I hope they release the other seasons on dvd, to not only perserve this superman legacy and time in history, but to show yet another example of a show character driver, not Cgi or special effects festival. I give this show a high rating, i admit the first season is a little hard to get through but after that it grows by leaps and bounds, yeah it freezes you somewhat in a time period, but there are plenty of good classics that do that. So take the time to review these videos for yourself if you can find any past the first season, i have some on vhs, and maybe their will be a petition or something for the release of more on dvd. just give it a shot. Any superman fan I think would at the very least respect them.
  • A Weak Show

Superboy was a really weak show. Bad plots and actors. The plots usually seemed to be very uninteresting. I dont know where got this guy from but he was a nobody. He was ok but it was like come on. There were some ok episodes. Mostly never that good. The effects werent all too good. The guy who played Lex was pretty crappy. The show starts out with just him being Superboy. It doesnt have a origin story til later. It was not even that interesting. I know it was the 80's but still seemed liked it could of been much better. In the end one very mediocre show.
  • One Weak Show

Superboy was a really weak show. Bad plots and actors. The plots usually seemed to be very uninteresting. I dont know where got this guy from but he was a nobody. He was ok but it was like come on. There were some ok episodes. Mostly never that good. The effects werent all too good. The guy who played Lex was pretty crappy. The show starts out with just him being Superboy. It doesnt have a origin story til later. It was not even that interesting. I know it was the 80's but still seemed liked it could of been much better. In the end one very medicore show.
  • pretty cool show

6.9
    i did not get to watch it very often, i did not get the channel that it came on in very cleary. i caught a few episodes and the ones i saw i liked. i hear the show is going to start coming out on dvd. i guess i'll bite the bullet and buy them so i can see the whole series.
  • After two sad episodes, we needed an happy one and we got it.

7.9
    After two sad episodes, we needed an happy one and we got it.
    The plot did not really advance, but it was funny to listen. He was crazy because of is ring, Pete of Fall Out Boys making up with the girls, The both "lost" in the forest. In short, this episode made me laugh.
  • This show was great in the late 80's and I remember watching it and taping them on VHS and put them away for a long time. Recently, I found the tapes and I started watching them again with a friend. What came from these viewings are worth every minute.

Ok, we sat and started watching the episodes in order and zipped through the first season in no time. The acting by John Haymes Newton is pretty decent, Stacy Haiduk's Lana Lang was very sexy and Jim Calvert as the photographer Jimmy Olsen, I mean, TJ White as a comic in the making was borderline. The cheesy acting came in the form of lex Luthor played by Scott Wells and his lackey Leo played by Michael Manno. As you watch these, there are parts that are not supposed to be funny but are hysterical as when the fake Superboy robs a bank and the real Superboy gets arrested. He then calls TJ to ask for money as he needs money for bail. Another scene by the poolside focused a little too long on Leo's package. The villains were amusing especially when Mr. Mxyzptlk made an appearance. I don't remember the actor who played him being a slow type of reader. Just too cheesy. Pa and Ma Kent made appearances as well and one part that really got us was when when Pa Kent got hurt in Smallville, Clark immediately went to see what happened to him. When I say immediately, I mean take a plane and then a bus to get to Smallville. What???? When he gets there he gets dirt rubbed on him by two big older henchmen. Classic. When the DVD comes out for season one, I recommend it highly. This was the weakest of the seasons even though they were written by some of comics greatest writers at the time. Season 2 and up were better. They got rid of Newton as Superboy and TJ as well ( both wanted pay hikes, shown the door) and replaced Supes with Gerald Christoper, a real comic book fan with a lot of enthusiasm. Ilan Mitchell Smith played Andy MacCallister who replaced TJ. This guy was a ripoff of Ducky from those Pretty in Pink type movies. Sherman Howard, who replaced Scott Wells as Lex Luthor was superior and a real good actor. Sadly, Leo and his package were murdered in the first episode of the second season. His new lackey came in the form of Darla with the biggest hair ever shown on TV. The villains came fast and furious- Metallo, Dracula, Bizzaro, etc and the shows become sharper. And of course, like I wrote in the beginning, some of this stuff was unintentionally funny. There is a weird episode where Superboy loses the use of his legs (foreshadowing the great Christopher Reeves accident) and confronts Lex in a wheelchair and he had a blanket covering his legs complete with tights and boots. He gets blasted out the window in the wheelchair and it just spins round and round as he plummets. I dare you not to laugh once. Anyway, enjoy this great show and buy the DVD when it comes out.
  • Superboy - Really Good and Bad

This show is very good but bad at the same time. Non Superman fans would hate it.

John Haymes Newton (Season 1's Superboy) is actually very decent, his Clark is good too because its not too geeky. Gerard Christopher (Season's 2-4 Superboy) is Ok and his Clark is very geeky. So in my opinion Newton's portrayol is better than Christopher. The show itself is really cheezy and the small budget is very evident (i.e. There's an episode with a Rocket Launch that has obviously been taken from a documentary video therefore the quality in picture is different and it doesn't fit in with the scenes. But aside from the Cheeziness and some lame acting this show is pretty fun and is a must have for any Superman fan. WB have just announced that Season 1 will be released later in the year (thanks to the hype of Superman Returns).

My final rating is 9/10
  • This one of the classic Superman shoes in the 80's

This was a great show that showed the teen years of Superman. It is not quite like todays Smallville where it gives insight to how Clark becomes Superman, but this so non the less, was very entertaining in it content. This show was one of my favorites as a child and I am glad to see that they are planning on releasing this show on dvd. Believe me I will defintely be one that will have to pick it up.