A The Affair Community
Sunday 10:00 PM on Showtime

Showtime released a new teaser for its upcoming drama The Affair on Tuesday—but before you scroll down and click play, I feel compelled to suggest that you avoid watching it. 

I know I sound ridiculous, but hear me out: In short, I wish that Showtime would stop releasing promos for The Affair

I've already screened the first episode of the series, which premieres Sunday, October 12 at 10pm, and I can't wait to see more. Of all the new shows that are set to debut this fall, it's the one I'm personally looking forward to the most. But one of the reasons I enjoyed the pilot so much is that I viewed it without knowing very much about the series beyond its basic premise—two people have an extramarital affair during a summer in the Hamptons—and that's precisely why it worked so well. 

Basically, there's more to The Affair than we saw in the first trailer, and I believe that the series' most intriguing elements are the ones you don't see in that first look. What's more, I think the pilot will be a lot more successful if viewers don't know it's coming. However, Showtime seems determined to spoil the fun with its marketing campaign for the drama, which is giving away more and more with each passing day. 

Now, the days of remaining truly spoiler-free have come and gone, and in the network's defense, it's just trying to get people to watch a new show—always a difficult feat. In the end, maybe it won't matter one way or another. So I'll leave it up to you: I've embedded the teaser below, even though I don't think you should watch it. Just know that I recommend ignoring whatever else you see about The Affair between now and its debut, so that when you sit down to watch it in October, you'll have the best chance of being surprised and amazed by how innovative it is. You'll thank me later.

The Affair premieres Sunday, October 12 at 10pm on Showtime.

TV.com's 2014 Fall Preview: 
New Shows, Network Schedules, Trailers, and More

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/4/2016

Season 3 : Episode 3

Next Episode

AIRS ON 12/11/2016

Season 3 : Episode 4

27 Comments
Comments (27)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Absolutely nothing is spoiled in this trailer. If anything I struggled to get through a super boring minute and twenty.
Flag
Then I think I'll skip the teaser too, it intrigued me when I first saw the trailer a while ago.
Flag
Thanks for the warning. I hate spoilers and I'll be going into this fresh.
Flag
Thanks for the warning. I did not watch this trailer.
Flag
If it gets your motor running, Kaitlin, then I'm in..
Flag
After the disaster that was the first trailer, I'll pass on this one, but I'll still watch the pilot when it airs. Despite it all, I'm still intrigued.
Flag
I'll give it a go just because of Dominic West. I've seen the first promo and it didn't look very good but I want to give it at least the 4ep test.
Flag
Did you watch BBCs The Hours? I thought it was also pretty good.
Flag
Haven't seen it but I'll give it a go - something to watch before the autumn season starts :) thanks
Flag
The Hour was great! I was very bummed when it was canceled.
Flag
Oddly, I watched most of season one of The Wire, and didn't really like it.
Flag
It took me ages to finally watch the Hour and just wanted to say thanks for your recommendation. I really liked it a lot and it's a great shame there will be no 3rd season.
Flag
I'm going to take it one step further and not watch the show.
Flag
A few unfortunate experiences have taught me all too well that things can't be unseen, so I'll take your advice and skip the trailer. I'm not a fan of watching streaming video anyway and will just wait to watch the real thing when it premieres.
Flag
Not even the trailer looks interesting. Next!
Flag
I know, right? I'm downright worried Kaitlin claims this is the fall premiere she's most looking forward to. Either that was one hell of a pilot, or she's being paid well enough to write somewhat convincing lies about it all?
Flag
I get paid in waffles. So I don't think that's it.
Flag
Well, I would be more worried, but anyone willing to accept payment in the form of waffles can't possibly be evil, and is likely very bad at deception, so I'll run with it for now!
Flag
i`d do anything for waffles. good waffles...... now i`m hungry.

i trust your judgement! thanks!
Flag
I trust you enough not to watch the trailer Kaitlin, but I'll have to make up my mind when I watch it to decide whether or not it's actually any good. The premise alone leaves a lot to be desired.
Flag
After her stint as Alice Morgan; I will watch Ruth Wilson in anything. I even suffered through that horrible Lone Ranger movie for her
Flag
Oh come on, Lone Ranger wasn't really THAT bad. Sure, it was far from greatness, not even as good as the worst Pirates of the Caribbean movie, but it had a great many things going for it. But yeah, most of it was Ruth Wilson. Pity she didn't have more appearances on Luther, but hey... there's still the possible Luther movie in the works!
Flag
"not even as good as the worst Pirates of the Caribbean movie"! Is it just me or is that not a massive red flag for anyone who hasn't seen it yet (me)?
Flag
Johnny Depp wore a fake dead bird on his head for the whole movie. It was really really bad. I would gladly watch John Carter a good dozen times before I watch this again.
Flag
Yeah, I thought most of the running joke of the movie was never being completely sure if the bird was alive, dead, or just toeing the line of both based on Tonto's level of insanity at the time?

I've still never watched John Carter, mostly because the exact same number of people said it was pretty good as those who said it was absolutely horrible.
Flag
Are you sure that it was fake?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members