The All-New Popeye Hour

CBS (ended 1981)

The All-New Popeye Hour Fan Reviews (1)

6.9
  • The All-New Popeye Hour...the best show never shown on WWL-TV Channel 4! :-P

Unfortunately, I did not get to watch The All New Popeye Hour in my area (New Orleans) during its first season, for WWL-TV Channel 4, New Orleans' CBS afilliate, rejected the network feed in favour of playing its own local Popeye And Pals, which was scheduled @ the same time as The All New Popeye Hour (9:00 AM Central). Pity, though, as I was kinda looking forward to seeing it, what with all the hype CBS was racking up in favour of it.

The next year, WWL-TV blacked out The All New Popeye Hour again, thus prompting me to watch it on former independent station WGNO-TV 26, which was generous enough to carry the CBS feed of the show that season (once I found out about it!). And you know, I kinda dug it! WWL-TV finally accepted the network feed when the whow became The Popeye And Olive Comedy Show.

I bought one of the Rhino Video releases of the 1970s Hanna-Barbera Popeye 'toons, but boy, was I rooked! I thought they'd include the original main title opening to The All New Popeye Hour...but then the tape included Hanna-Barbera Popeye 'toons from other seasons, too. (It's a good thing TV Ark site had a RealVideo file of the opening!)

Shame on you, WWL-TV, 4 not accepting The All New Popeye Hour and depriving its local legion of Saturday Morning fans the opportunity to get a glance at this spectacular show!