Sunday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

24.12 "Do You Believe in magic?" 5-18-14

skbrettbug

[1]May 18, 2014
    • level: 19

Discussion for episode 12 (finale).

Spoilers are allowed in this thread.

Final Sunday night episode???

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

UnovaChampion

[2]May 18, 2014
    • level: 17
    This season has been terribly atrocious.

And no not even Brenchel winning and me winning the pool would have saved it.

skbrettbug

[3]May 18, 2014
    • level: 19
    I win the pool.

Tough season

joepetrizzo7

[4]May 18, 2014
    • level: 9
    The season got better. I just wish the final task was something much more skill oriented.

ltcomstella

[5]May 18, 2014
    • level: 18

too much baby talk, and brendons dumb face of oh god no what am i doing...

oh they just had to show the achilles tendon breaking AGAIN..

how did the countries get ahead of dave n conner ?

countries really are stupid, they leave the box in the car and then can't figure out how to open it..

for me the right team won.. but that's not really saying much..

i hate the brenchels with an absolute passion and i hate david copperfield..

the countries have been saved by luck and other teams mistakes and the uturns and the nel's

once again an anticlimactic finale..

they win hugs all round a brief summary and then roll credits..

amazing_race

[6]May 19, 2014
    • level: 53

Pretty obvious but I'll say it nonetheless - worst finale ever, and worst episode ever. TAR19's was so bad but at least they had a memory challenge (albeit really easy). Here we literally had 2 tasks and whoever can change light bulbs wins.

amazing_race

[7]May 19, 2014

Also the winning team has a heavily unbalanced Roadblock count - I thought we had rules against this since TAR6?

frontman19

[8]May 19, 2014
    • level: 14

Even though the challenges in this episode (aside from the really cool magic roadblock) where terrible, I think the right team won. They were very consistent throughout, a very strong team and I think the absolute best team won this. That said, it was a pretty disappointing season overall, not a great final three. I would have much rather have seen Jet & Cord in the final three along with Brendan & Rachel and Dave & Connor, since they were another consistently strong team. The challenges seemed much easier this race, which I thought was shocking and highly disappointing for an "all-stars" season, where everyone is supposed to be so strong. It says a lot about how this season went if a team like the country singers can make it to the final three without winning a single leg or even having that strong of a showing in any leg.

eaudra1

[9]May 19, 2014
    • level: 8

That was the worst finale of the most recent seasons. Definitely TAR24 ain't a keeper.

And amazing_race, you're right. I might be mistaken in my calculations, but there's something off with Dave and Connor's Roadblock count per team member. Have rules been changed so that a bully old man could have an easier run to the finish or what?

marknmo

[10]May 19, 2014
    • level: 12
    Yes, this was a very disappointing finish. I can't say I'm surprised, as Dave & Connor's edit all season has been like they were perfect angels. Even when Dave made the snide remark about Rachel's looks a few legs back, it was accompanied by TAR's "oh, you cute old man!" music, whereas any other team would have gotten the hideous dramatic music for saying something like that.

I wanted Brenchel to win, but I figured it was a long shot since the last several legs have been focused on the petty U-Turn fiasco, and it felt like the editing was trying to really drill into us that Brenchel was the team we were "supposed" to root against. It was horrible seeing them lose mainly because they had that terrible cab driver. She put them so far behind that it didn't matter that they missed the clue-box at the Mirage. Also, I will say that while I'm a Brenchel fan and wanted them to win, they really disappointed me with their juvenile behavior on this leg.

I'm also so happy the Country Girls didn't win. They were completely incompetent this whole race, and the only reason they got to the end was because soooo many other teams helped them out along the way. They probably wouldn't have been able to find their way out of the first airport in the race if other teams hadn't stopped and left them little M&M breadcrumbs trails to follow to the cab areas.

The tasks in this leg were just . . . awful. There wasn't a single task to stump anyone on, so it really was just who got to each area first. The digging was simple. The magic trick (and I loooooove David Copperfield, but...) was simple. The boneyard was simple. The lightbulbs was simple and sadly the hardest task on the leg. I guess the helicopter thing could have been tough, but it didn't seem like it at all. I think there's a balance that TAR is having trouble finding. In this season the tasks were just way too easy on the final leg. In other seasons (like TAR 21), the final challenge was way too hard and just ruined the outcome of the race. I dunno, I guess like the ones where they have to remember something from each leg and then combine them all into one task, like the surfboard task in TAR 14 and the weigh-stations in TAR 12.

We got another long recap at the mat about Dave & Connor's cancer struggle in case anyone missed it the first 100 times. We also got to see Dave & Connor and the Country Girls fluffing each other on the mat again about how they're the good teams and you-know-who is bad: "Awe, if we had to lose, we're just happy it was to you." - "Oh, we felt the EXACT same way about YOU!" **SUPER-FRIENDSHIP-ALLIANCE-TO-THE-END!** Thanks CBS...

I hope next season is a lot better than this one. This was felt like it got really good for me in the middle and some of the beginning, but in the end, it was just plain awful. I really feel like the editing crew on this show needs to be replaced, because they made it so obvious who their favorite to win was. I also wish they would let us choose who we don't like instead of trying to highlight things with hero and villain music constantly. I can't imagine how awful watching a football/baseball game would be like if the commentators tried to sway the audience's likes towards one team so heavily over another.

eaudra1

[11]May 19, 2014

Dave 5 Roadblock, Connor - 8. Sounds like either the rule of equal roadblock performed per team members has been altered or waved so that the hero edit of this team would live it up.

joepetrizzo7

[12]May 19, 2014
    amazing_race wrote:

Also the winning team has a heavily unbalanced Roadblock count - I thought we had rules against this since TAR6?

Phil actually tweeted about this and said the rule is they have to split the roadblocks for the first 10 legs and then the remainder 2-1. Here is the tweet "rules same 4 all no team could do more than 6 RBs B4 end of L10 - 3 RBs in L11+12 those can be divided 2-1"

This was absolutely the worst finale (not quite sure if the worst leg ever) although I tweeted to Phil that it was the best so he would retweet me (He didn't.) Does anyone know what the point of taking the lightbulb from the question mark was? Did it go in the I?

joepetrizzo7

[13]May 19, 2014
    Further reading tweets imply the rule previously was the you only had to be equal or +1 roadblock at the F4 and then it didn't matter. They really need to tell us these rules that change willy-nilly. I still think that Travis/Nicole and Jason/Amy should have been penalized on the robot. Also. I think the Race has a thing for terrible female cab drivers. It just seems that everytime a team has a woman driver they get lost and the driver doesn't care. This has happened a few times, most memorably Michael and Kathy is S3 in Scotland had that driver that got lost and laughed about it.

ltcomstella

[14]May 23, 2014
    • level: 18

i forget who it was but i remember the best cab ride ever was the one who didn't know english well if at all and took two guys to a compound with sinister dudes hanging around.

amazing_race

[15]May 24, 2014

Well that Roadblock rule (the new one) that Phil actually tweeted out is rather pointless if you ask me. It ended up with one person being able to do three more than the other, which is the closest thing you can get to a Flo/Kim/Christie/Nicole only doing one...

eaudra1

[16]May 26, 2014

amazing_race wrote:

Well that Roadblock rule (the new one) that Phil actually tweeted out is rather pointless if you ask me. It ended up with one person being able to do three more than the other, which is the closest thing you can get to a Flo/Kim/Christie/Nicole only doing one...

That's so true. If the rule 'equal roadblocks per team mate' only apply for part of the race, then it in a way loses the whole point, and a team with one weaker member thus can keep on racing, though otherwise they might get out before F3