The Amazing Race Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Amazing Race 19 Season Premiere "Kindness of Strangers" 9/25/11

killerband55

[1]Sep 21, 2011
    • level: 5

Well the season premiere is this sunday, with Ethan and Jenna who are past Survivor winners on a team and the 1st person under the age of 18 to sail solo around the world with his father will be on this race, who's ready for the season premiere?

Discuss?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

amazing_race

[2]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 53

Definitely looking forward to TAR19! I'm actually liking the alpha-male team on the season for a change, as I think a pair of snowboarders is new and interesting to see!

My early favourites, however, would have to be Liz & Marie, Kaylani & Lisa, Justin & Jennifer and Amani & Marcus - but I am liking all fof them (at least for now!).,.

EvelinVallad

[3]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 1

Usually watch this show with my husband too bad he's deployed, but I still enjoy it, hopefully he'll be back to watch the final episode with me.

j19000

[4]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 50

Very nice premiere episode. Was totally worth it. It sorted reminded me of the TAR 6penultimateleg, with the beautiful music tunes and style.

Taipei was a decent first destination, I have seen much better. I guess however, a small island in Asia is a rather nice change from previous seasons.

Now, the starting challenge was fairly straight forward, but enjoyable. Lalaynie and Lisa's mistake of losing their passports, well I really thought it was over for them. Just after the event, I was kind of hoping that they would be eliminated. As the leg progressed, I knew they had a bigger significance and therefore I would like them to stay, for now.

All the way through this leg I knew it would be a non-elimination, and it looks like the first of four non-elimination points due to the SHOCK double-elimination next leg. It was a great leg, my team in the pool Jeremy & Sandy scored a nice second place. I like all of the teams at this point, except maybe Amani & Marcus and Liz & Marie. My favorite teams judging by the first leg are currently Ernie & Cindy (or is it Justin & Jennifer who were bickering?), Jeremy & Sandy, Ethan & Jenna, Andy & Tommy and Laurence & Zac.

The Roadblock was decent as well, proving to be somewhat of a challenge for some teams.

The boat challenge was the highlight of the tasks this leg I believe. I enjoyed watching that. The end ended with Ernie & Cindy winning the Express Pass, Kaylani & Lisa getting the 'new' Hazard task, and Bill & Cathi getting hit with a Speed Bump in the first of four pre-determined non-elimination legs. I can't wrap my mind around this, but obviously the season would have its final leg with 3 teams, rather than 4. That would be impossible to keep up with a total of 12 legs. Maybe one or two of these non-elimination points will be To Be Continued legs as it was in the Unfinished Business edition. We'll see. Definitely be interesting.

Overall, a nice first episode, though I guess I am not exactly interested in Taiwan or much of eastern Asia. I can't wait for Africa and Europe this season, if they so shall be visited.

We really didn't get much of an opportunity to get to know the teams yet, and I am still trying to observe them myself. Lets see how we go in the next leg.Smile

LOVE: Ernie & Cindy, Jeremy & Sandy, Ethan & Jenna, Andy & Thomas, Laurence & Zac

LIKE: Ron & Bill, Bill & Cathi, Laylani & Lisa, Amani & Marcus

NEUTRAL: Justin & Jennifer, Liz & Marie

SlidingKat

[5]Sep 26, 2011
    Loved that they got their passport back, because of people tweeting.

marvelfan89

[6]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 39

It was all right but nothing special for me. Entertaining but nothing special. I do hate the fact that they already have somebody who won on one of their shows on this. It's just shameless self promotion, not too mention it is bias and a conflict of interest, but it's CBS. However, they are not as Rob and Amber who were pathetic and selfish. I don't see Ethan and other girl going too far.

I did get a good laugh out of the showgirl protesting that they don't fit the dumb showgirl personality, and then one of them proceeds to lose their passport (on the first episode no less). Yikes.

Too bad for the old people who got lost, but they got bailed out. It seems the double elimination for next week is just a way to make for non-elimination on this leg.

The first challenge was somewhat difficult, but surprised that so many didn't get the Confucius saying. It wasn't like a speech, it was just a saying. Already I am coming away feeling that half the teams are idiots, and it's only the first episode.

amazing_race

[7]Sep 26, 2011

Quite a good premiere episode, although TAR17 and TAR18 were much more enjoyable with their premieres.

Taiwan was definitely a great destination, but the TAR12 visit to Taiwan in its penultimate leg was much better than this one, that's for sure.

I didn't like the Starting Line Challenge compared with TAR15 or TAR18's challenges, but I was glad that there was a Starting Line Challenge, and I liked the Hazard Penalty, although it just seems like a Speed Bump with a new name.

The Roadblock was seemingly very simple, although these teams made it look very complex, particularly Liz & Marie, my team in the pool. I'm sure I could've gotten than one my second attempt, at worst. It didn't seem too difficult.

I'd have to agree with j19000 in saying that the dragon-boats were the highlight of the leg. It's definitely a great snippet into the culture and it looked quite fun! I loved the Snowboarders saying to Amani & Marcus that they love the pink shirts!

so far, it is hard to pick one outright favourite, although I would have to go with Amani & Marcus. I am liking the two all-female teams immensely, one being my pool choice and the other making a comedy of errors.

LOVE: Liz & Marie, Amani & Marcus, Kaylani & Lisa, Bill & Cathi, Jeremy & Sandy, Laurence & Zac, Justin & Jennifer
    LIKE: Ernie & Cindy, Andy & Tommy
    NEUTRAL: Ethan & Jenna, Ron & Bill
    DISLIKE: (Temprarily) vacant
    HATE: N/A

Can't wait for a double-elimination, as I've been waiting to see that for some time now!

bowling255

[8]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 66

When they said the last team to check in may be eliminated I knew it was going to be a non elimination leg because they always before in the first leg said will be eliminated.

VLONEWOLFV

[9]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 6

marvelfan89 wrote:

The first challenge was somewhat difficult, but surprised that so many didn't get the Confucius saying. It wasn't like a speech, it was just a saying. Already I am coming away feeling that half the teams are idiots, and it's only the first episode.

I wouldn't go so far to call them idiots. When you are in a situation like that it is very hard to memorize something that is not quite proper english. The Twin pretty much had it but she would add a word in. A simple to miss mistake which makes it worse cuz then you think you don't have it memorized at all since they don't say what you have wrong.

j19000

[10]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 50

bowling255 wrote:

When they said the last team to check in may be eliminated I knew it was going to be a non elimination leg because they always before in the first leg said will be eliminated.

Yes thats how I knew as well. Same thing happened with Seasons 15 and 18. There will be four non-elimination points this season, obviously if they are eliminating off two next week. I just only hope they don't over use the To Be Continued legs, I'd rather how the majority as proper non-elimination legs with a mandatory rest period.

amazing_race

[11]Sep 26, 2011

j19000 wrote:

bowling255 wrote:

Yes thats how I knew as well. Same thing happened with Seasons 15 and 18. There will be four non-elimination points this season, obviously if they are eliminating off two next week. I just only hope they don't over use the To Be Continued legs, I'd rather how the majority as proper non-elimination legs with a mandatory rest period.

I'm just guessing here, but I thikn we will see at least one To Be Continued leg. I will personally be more than happy with the one, but I certainly hope we don't get any more. Two was OK on TAR18, given that it was an All-Star type season, but I'd hate to see it again on a regular season.

jekyll

[12]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 86

VLONEWOLFV wrote:

marvelfan89 wrote:

I wouldn't go so far to call them idiots. When you are in a situation like that it is very hard to memorize something that is not quite proper english. The Twin pretty much had it but she would add a word in. A simple to miss mistake which makes it worse cuz then you think you don't have it memorized at all since they don't say what you have wrong.

Phil tweeted during the Roadblock, "Remember that as teams try to remember the saying they are running without real sleep, not so easy."

jekyll

[13]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 86

As Phil tweeted there would be, today's New York Times has an article that more fully details how Twitter saved Kaylani and Lisa's race. It ended up being someone in Georgia prodding the passportfinders to go to LAX. Really impressive usage of social media.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/26/twitters-amazing-race-assist/

bonjovichick

[14]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 16

Honestly though why would your passport be able to fall out so easily? When I travel abroad it is attached to my body in a zipper pouch so that I don't lose it. Only comes out when I need to and otherwise zipper type. They make all kinds of things like that you wear around your neck or I wear one round my waist. Flown all over the world and it has never caused me an issue.

I personally like Ethan and Jenna being onthe show. They won Survivor but then have had many challenges in life and I like that they can go out there and show that they have truly survived!

VLONEWOLFV

[15]Sep 26, 2011

bonjovichick wrote:

Honestly though why would your passport be able to fall out so easily? When I travel abroad it is attached to my body in a zipper pouch so that I don't lose it. Only comes out when I need to and otherwise zipper type. They make all kinds of things like that you wear around your neck or I wear one round my waist. Flown all over the world and it has never caused me an issue.

I personally like Ethan and Jenna being onthe show. They won Survivor but then have had many challenges in life and I like that they can go out there and show that they have truly survived!

In one of the background vids on the site they explain what happened. She had everything laying out on the seat so she could organize all of their stuff together. She wasn't finished when they stopped for gas and when she got out of the vehicle, she knocked it out.

starwolf99

[16]Oct 2, 2011
    • level: 12
    After watching the second episode, one must re-evaluate the possibility that maybe half of them are idiots.

amazing_race

[17]Oct 2, 2011

starwolf99 wrote:
    After watching the second episode, one must re-evaluate the possibility that maybe half of them are idiots.

After watching the second episode, unfortunately 'half' is an understatement.

VLONEWOLFV

[18]Oct 3, 2011

starwolf99 wrote:

See, I just see that as proving how difficult the leg actually was. It's an oversight due to a longer than 24 hour leg. Has nothing to do with idiocy.

asuperstar103

[19]Oct 4, 2011
    VLONEWOLFV wrote:

starwolf99 wrote:

See, I just see that as proving how difficult the leg actually was. It's an oversight due to a longer than 24 hour leg. Has nothing to do with idiocy.

I agree! Mistakes can easily be made in such situations. Mistakes that you wouldn't normally make just from lack of sleep and I'm sure it's completely stressful. Fun but stressful. Mistakes will be made!

amazing_race

[20]Oct 5, 2011

I agree that the stress absolutely and definitely leads to mistakes - but I can't definte 8 out of 11 teams msissing a sign within plain sight as a 'mistake'. I think that if one or two (or even 4 or 5) teams missed that sign, I would call it a mistake - but I just find the concept of eight teams missing it to be rather hilarious.