The Amazing Race Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Need some Race season suggestions please...

EdgeOfThorns316

[1]May 16, 2012
    • level: 8

I am a serious reality junkie, yet...the Race never grabbed me or my wife until this past season. I always meant to get into it but just never have, im huge into Survivor and other shows but needless to say, i am officially HOOKED with Amazing Race.

I plan to get caught up on the seasons regardless, but any seasons that you guys most definitely prefer? Or do you think starting with season one and working our way up is what i should do?

Either way....i cant believe it took me this long to get sucked in, shame on myself lol...but im good to go now, great show.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

j19000

[2]May 16, 2012
    • level: 50

Ok good question mate. From the perspective of a serious TAR fan, these are the seasons I would recommend and why...

TAR 1 - It is very old and different from everything that comes from Season 2 onwards, but it was the original and has this form of power that no other has, despite being very dated now. I would recommend it, but just be aware that it feels like a different show

TAR 2 - Very good season. Nice set of locales including Brazil, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. It feels like a classic, though it does lack the suspense of future editions. I would recommend it, very good season. Though, I didn't like the winners

TAR 3 - Amazing. Highly recommend it. The third season contains 12 teams, none of them I disliked. Some of the best locations ever visited including Mexico, Scotland, Portugal, Morocco, southern Germany, Austria and Switzerland. You would love TAR 3, great winners, great tasks.

TAR 4 - This is a tough one to be honest. It lacked suspense and it was boring at times. Besides the nice locations in the first half, the teams were mediocre and the entertainment was at a low. I probably wouldn't recommend it.

TAR 5 - Yes, definitely. This was the beginning of the golden age. Suspense was high, locations were diverse, great cast of teams with decent winners and a highly entertaining season from start to finish. You will love it, believe me. Locations include Uruguay, Argentina, Russia, Egypt, UAE, New Zealand and Canada.Highly recommend

TAR 6 - my favorite season of all time. Highly recommend. Best locations, great tasks, highly suspenseful, a lot of drama, good teams, non stop entertainment. The season the sticks out the most.

TAR 7 - Normally considered the best season but I disagree. It is great however, with one of the greatest casts the race has ever seen. Decent locations, decent tasks, the best winners of all time! Very great season with a high positive factor

Continue later...

EdgeOfThorns316

[3]May 16, 2012
    Loving the commentary for the seasons man, by all means keep them coming. What makes the first or older seasons different? Just curious, as i know how lets say Survivor has changed, how did people and or the show change from season 1 onward?

amazing_race

[4]May 17, 2012
    • level: 53

I agree with j19000's comments/opinions almost completely, but I'll add my own thoughts as well within the hour!

amazing_race

[5]May 17, 2012

OK, I haven't seen Season 1, but here's my thoughts on the others:

TAR2: Some interesting locations and tasks. I enjoyed Leg 5 a lot. Something was missing to prevent this season from being exceptional. The ending was the most dramatic one of all time.

TAR3: My favourite season of all-time. For me, every single second was spectacular. Not one boring momentt. Not one boring task. Not one boring team. The cast was absolutely flawless! Only season that I loved every single team! The winners are my favourite ever! Can't give a single negative comment about it!

TAR4: Had some truly spectacular legs! Leg 1-5 (and particularly 3-5) were spectacular, as were one or two of the latter ones, particularly in South Korea. A few interesting teams on the cast, but I hated the winners. Above average, but not by much.

TAR5: Spectacular season! Another amazing winning team! The locations were amazing! Only season to ever visit Egypt!!! Only season to visit 6 continents!!! Only negatives I can think of are that I despised one of the teams and I also didn't enjoy the New Zealand leg for some reason, but the rest of it was incredible!!!

TAR6: Spectacular again! Although it had disgusting winners, it was an epic season! Almost every leg was flawless, although I thought Legs 4-5 could've been better! Some amazing teams on the cast. There were in fact several couples which I just loved! So much drama! Highly recommend it.

TAR7: Very good again! Fourth best season for me, behind 3, 5 and 6. Winners were extremely likeable. I can't speak too highly of the locations on this season, although the African legs were remarkable, as was England and Jamaica. Very enjoyable to watch!

TAR8: The Family Edition was quite mixed for me. The first 3-4 legs were truly epic. But the rest was absolutely abysmal. They don't leave North America, and they barely leave the States. Not too much to see here, but you can't help but love the kids!

TAR9: Some awesome moments, for sure! Great legs in Europe. In fact, some of the best European legs ever. Only season to visit Greece!!! Winners were relatively likeable, although many more interesting teams existed. The Thailand episode is one of my all-time favourites! There were some negatives, however. The cast as a whole was not particularly overwhelming, althought there were some great teams. I'm not a big fan of the Brazil legs either.

TAR10: Very mixed feelings here. I rank it very low, because the cast is absolutely horrid. Only one decent team in there, and that team is one of my all-time favourites. The rest of the cast I just hated, although a couple of interesting teams were around, but they didn't make it far at all. Great legs in Kuwait, Mauritius, Madagascar and The Ukraine, and a great half-leg in Spain. But the first few legs were boring (except Mongolia) and as I said, the cast was dreadful.

TAR11: Aside from having one of the worst winners ever, this season was pretty good. So many truly amazing teams came back for a second chance! Poland was EPIC in every sense of the word! The first half of the race was definitely better than the second half of the race, but definitely an above average season, with one huge flaw - the winners.

I'll give my Post-All-Stars reviews shortly!

amazing_race

[6]May 17, 2012

TAR12: My favourite season in the post-All-Stars period. The locations are the best EVER, in my opinion. Dubrovnik has to be the most beautiful place I've ever seen! Ireland, Burkina Faso, Lithuania and the aforementioned Croatia were spectacular legs and countries that have not been visited in any other season, plus amazing legs in Italy, Japan, Ireland and Taiwan!! A lot of great drama! The winners were boring, but I can't say that I hate them in hindsight. Only flaw for me is the India leg. Great season!! Highly recommend it!

TAR13: Lots of positives and lots of negatives. First off, the Bolivia, New Zealand, India #2 and Kazakhstan legs were truly amazing!!! Some intense action there! However, there were lots of boring legs too, such as the first two legs, as well as Cambodia, India #1 and the Russia legs. The winners were OK for me, but loads more likeable teams went out easrlier. Mixed feelings about this one, but I rank it above average!

TAR14: The first three legs were incredible. The fourth was OK. Everything from then on was pretty disgraceful. A lot of amazing cast members here, but the winners were vile, in my opinion. Location-wise, it was a disgrace. Only 3 continents visited, and that includes North America. Below average for sure.

TAR15: Only visited 3 continents, just like TAR14, but a lot more time in Europe, which was nice to see. The cast was pretty good, although there were a couple of boring teams in there. The winners were very likeable, in my opinion. Truly epic legs in UAE #1, UAE #2, Netherlands, Sweden, Czech Republic #1, Czech Republic #2 and the finale, and maybe even Estonia as well. Very good season. Probably ranks as my seventh favourite. Highly recommend it!

TAR16: Disgusting winners. Horrible route. Lacklustre cast. This season is terrible, really. Legs 6 and 7, ironically, are my top two favourite legs of all time, but the rest of the season is a snore, except Leg 4. Didn't enjoy it much. Hated the winners a lot. Very forgettable. Second worst season ever, for me.

TAR17: Such a great bounce-back after the horror of TAR16. The cast is amazing! Winners are incredible! Route was great, with the first visit to mainland Africa since TAR12. I think highly of this season, except for a couple of less exciting legs in Norway and Bangladesh, and maybe South Korea too. Overall, amazing season! If you like seeing women catapulting watermelons into their own faces, this one's for you!

TAR18: Breathtaking season! They brought back some truly incredible teams! My second favourite winners of all-time! One of the best Final Threes of all time! The route looks terrible, with two legs each in China and India, but both China legs and the first India leg were very good. Australia was nice, and the European legs were incredible and flawless! The finale seemed boring in some ways, but I enjoyed the drama! Amazing and incredible season! Highly recommend it! My sixth favourite season ever, behind 3, 5, 6, 7 and 12.

TAR19: RUBBISH! Worst season ever! Leg 6 was average. Leg 7 was good. Leg 8 was average. The rest is garbage. DISGUSTING winning team. They are vile. Highly recommend that you don't wantch this one, lol! I hate it.

TAR20: Much, much better than TAR19, but still a long way off the good seasons. The winners were good, the race course was passable, I guess. Legs 3 and 4 were amazing for me, but there was a lot of truly horrible task design, such as Legs 6, 7 and 11. Final leg was not great either, although highly suspenseful. Cast was good, though. One big positive that I have to give TAR20 is that it pulled off two amazing legs in India, and that's something that not many other seasons have done!

I hope this helps you decide which ones to watch! If you have the time and the interest, I'd recommend watching all of them! But if not, then I think 3, 5, 6, 7, 12, 15, 17 and 18 are the must-see seasons! That's just my opinion, but I'd love to hear what you thought of them, after you watch them!

j19000

[7]May 21, 2012

I wont go into my post TAR 9 reviews here, but to sum it up mate, these are the seasons:

HIGHLY Recommend - 3, 5, 6, 7 and 15

Very Recommend - 9 and 18

Recommend - 1, 2, 11, 12 and 17

Mixed - 4, 8 and 10

Not Recommend - 13, 14 and 20

TERRIBLE (Do not recommend) - 16 and 19

EdgeOfThorns316

[8]Dec 11, 2012
    Been loving the race big time, although i was hoping for different winners in the season that just ended this past sunday!

Watching season 6 now, loving it....and almost finished with it.

My question guys is this, anywhere other than amazon to find the seasons at a good price? I want to collect them, but man those prices just stink, 15-20 bucks would be ideal. Not sure if anyone has a place they purchase them at better prices.

marknmo

[9]Dec 12, 2012
    • level: 12
    The only places I found cheaper by searching is Overstock (they only have two seasons, though), and Newegg. Newegg appears to have several seasons that are about the same price as Amazon, but they had a couple that are $27. I did also look at the sellers on Newegg for one of the seasons, and one of them was called iNetVideo and was selling the cheapest. I've never heard of them, but they do have Season 7 for sale for $19.49 with shipping starting at $2.50 (though it mentions free shipping, I didn't fiddle around with it enough to figure out how to get that). I really enjoyed season 7, as it was the one Rob and Amber from Survivor were on, and they really played the game in that season. Here's the link for that S7 price:

http://www.inetvideo.com/the-amazing-race-season-seven-boxset-new-on-dvd-boxset-at-inetvideo.html

Also, I agree that I was hoping somebody else would have won this season of the Amazing Race. It was a truely fantastic season for me, with almost every team being a supurb casting choice, but I really just never liked the team that ended up winning. Oh well, I at least feel confident that if they do have another All-Stars season, they'll definitely be inviting one or two of the stand-out teams I did enjoy from this season.

EdgeOfThorns316

[10]Dec 12, 2012
    marknmo wrote:
    The only places I found cheaper by searching is Overstock (they only have two seasons, though), and Newegg. Newegg appears to have several seasons that are about the same price as Amazon, but they had a couple that are $27. I did also look at the sellers on Newegg for one of the seasons, and one of them was called iNetVideo and was selling the cheapest. I've never heard of them, but they do have Season 7 for sale for $19.49 with shipping starting at $2.50 (though it mentions free shipping, I didn't fiddle around with it enough to figure out how to get that). I really enjoyed season 7, as it was the one Rob and Amber from Survivor were on, and they really played the game in that season. Here's the link for that S7 price:

http://www.inetvideo.com/the-amazing-race-season-seven-boxset-new-on-dvd-boxset-at-inetvideo.html

Also, I agree that I was hoping somebody else would have won this season of the Amazing Race. It was a truely fantastic season for me, with almost every team being a supurb casting choice, but I really just never liked the team that ended up winning. Oh well, I at least feel confident that if they do have another All-Stars season, they'll definitely be inviting one or two of the stand-out teams I did enjoy from this season.

My wife and I JUST finished season 7 last night Mark, great season...i loved it. I wish more Survivor cast members were on the race seasons. Were any others in any other race that you know of?

Rob played one hell of a game thats for sure.

marknmo

[11]Dec 12, 2012
    The only Survivors I can think of aside from Rob and Amber are Ethan and Jenna in TAR S19. Aside from that, I can only think of a few contestants from Big Brother who ever went on TAR. Rob and Amber come back for TAR's first All-Star season (season 19), though, so you have more of them to look forward to if you haven't watched it yet.

j19000

[12]Dec 12, 2012

The four seasons you really need to watch are

Seasons 3, 5, 6 and 7. Those are my personal top four, with Season 6 being the best.

EdgeOfThorns316

[13]Dec 12, 2012

marknmo wrote:
    The only Survivors I can think of aside from Rob and Amber are Ethan and Jenna in TAR S19. Aside from that, I can only think of a few contestants from Big Brother who ever went on TAR. Rob and Amber come back for TAR's first All-Star season (season 19), though, so you have more of them to look forward to if you haven't watched it yet.

You referring to not this recently finished up season but the one before Mark? The one that had Bopper and Mark in it, had that couple from Big Brother. Were there any others?

Edited on 12/12/2012 7:48pm

marknmo

[14]Dec 12, 2012
    EdgeOfThorns316 wrote:

marknmo wrote:

You referring to not this recently finished up season but the one before Mark? The one that had Bopper and Mark in it, had that couple from Big Brother. Were there any others?

Yeah, Jeff Schroeder & Jordan Lloyd from Big Brother appeared on TAR 16 and Alison Irwin was on TAR 5. I remember really enjoying TAR 5, because it also had a great cast with memorable people. TAR 16 was okay, I don't remember it too well, but I remember a few teams that I thought were annoying, heh.

amazing_race

[15]Dec 13, 2012

I wouldn't mind seeing some past Survivors come of TAR! That would be cool!

marknmo

[16]Dec 13, 2012
    You know, I think it would be really cool to see a Survivor All-Stars . . . on TAR! All of our favorite survivors paired up and playing a completely different game. We'd see them interact in a whole new way, since they wouldn't be isolated from society anymore, and I think some of the pairings could be really funny, heh. Imagine Coach and Russell paired up. Plus, it would be the perfect opportunity to bring Rob & Amber back for a third race (my all-time favorites)!

EdgeOfThorns316

[17]Dec 14, 2012
    Im surprised though that more from Survivor havent, youd think that would be right up their alley and would bring in some more ratings for TAR. All i know is i am a total race addict now, i dont know wtf was wrong with me to NOT get into the race when it started....but i am loving that i have all these seasons to sit back and enjoy.