The Amazing Race Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Ranking the seasons

amazing_race

[81]Sep 18, 2010
    • level: 54

j19000 wrote:

amazing_race: Although I was not a fan of the second season, the leg in Sydney and the two New Zealand legs really stood out. My main problems with TAR 2 were the lack of suspense, like those non-elimination legs were placed in exactly the same manner to the first season, and it was predictable. Also, the casting. It was painful having to bear to watch Tara & Wil b*tching and arguing all the time, with her and Alex hitting on one another. Chris & Alex were another team I consider awful, and both teams went on to the final.

There weren't many memorable players that season, except Blake & Paige and Oswald & Danny. It could have been better.

Based on casting, locations, action, suspense, the outcome and task design, my top five seasons are (in no particular order):

3, 5, 6, 7 and 9.

I have to agree with your commwents, j19000 about TAR2, except that I personally loved Tara & Wil. Oswald & Danny were great players, as were Blake & Paige.

My top five seasons in no particular order are 3, 5, 6 ,7, and 15.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Rocky1254751

[82]Oct 22, 2010
    • level: 2

My top 3 are seasons 5,6 and 7 in that order.

My worst three are: 8,16 and13 in that order.

I have watched all of seasons5,6,7,9 10,11,12,13,14,15,16 and watched most of 2,3,1,4. I have only watched a few episodes of 8.

So my rankings are:

amazing_race

[83]Oct 22, 2010

Rocky1254751 wrote:

My top 3 are seasons 5,6 and 7 in that order.

My worst three are: 8,16 and13 in that order.

I have watched all of seasons5,6,7,9 10,11,12,13,14,15,16 and watched most of 2,3,1,4. I have only watched a few episodes of 8.

So my rankings are:

I have to mostly agree with your ratings. The only thing that I can actually disagree on is TAR10, but I am pretty amuch in agreement for the rest.

j19000

[84]Nov 6, 2010
    • level: 50

Looking at this now I guess my rankings still haven't changed all that much, but here goes:

Season 6 - Will always be my favourite entry. This installment provided the best set of locations, tasks, suspense and entertainment. Although the winners did suck, the season was too truly incredible to be put down by such an event. Good casting as well. This was also the first season I managed to watch every episode, and the one that got me so interested. Who could forget teams like Kris & Jon, Lena & Kristy, Lori & Bolo, Hayden & Aaron or even Jonathan & Victoria.

Season 5 - This season marked the beginning of the golden age of TAR, and saved the series after a tired TAR 4. This cast were my third favorite of the seasons, with so many memorable players. Locations were top notch, even with the absence of any European destinations. Suspense, action and tasks were as equally as promising making it a 'balanced' installment. It was never boring, and provided various new twists. The winners were quite deserving, placing it second on my list.

Season 3 - The best of the 'old' seasons (TAR 1-4). I absolutely loved this one, with the BEST cast the show has ever seen, top notch locations, high quality entertainment and some good challenge. It was however the old times and in which suspense was not as high as it would be later on in the show (mainly referring to non-elimination placement). This season had an amazing feel to it, nice winners and a very unique installment.

Season 7 - Another wicked installment, although somewhat weaker than the previous two entries. This season was the last of the golden age in my opinion. The best thing about TAR 7 were the people on it, and character development. The locations were very low key compared to what we had seen in previous editions making it whole lot less entertaining, suspense was good enough. The players were so interesting, and it was another highly structured season with the BEST winners. Good one. This season attempted to repeat TAR 5 though, and it did not succeed as I preferred 5.

Season 9 - Huge improvement over the less than wonderful Family Edition. This brought the series back to life, an although there are a number of flaws that cannot be avoided, it was a very good entry. The lack of suspense was the major problem I had, namely non-elimination positioning and a couple other points. Locations were very good, and so was the action. A great comeback to The Amazing Race. I liked the winners as well.

Season 15

Season 11

Season 4

Season 1

Season 10

Season 12

Season 2

Season 13

Season 8

Season 14

Season 16

VLONEWOLFV

[85]Nov 8, 2010
    • level: 6

Wow, everyone ranks 14 so low. I actually started with 14 and think that it is still my favorite. Victors turn around really sold it for me. Ranking them I would say:

14/16/15

I would probably rank season 17 as my favorite though if it keeps up the pace it's moving at right now. This season has been spectacular so far.

Rocky1254751

[86]Nov 9, 2010
    I would slot Amazing Race 17 in between 3 and 9 on my list probably for the moment. Its not going to place in my top 2 because of the awesomeness of Seasons 5 and 6 but if it gets better may become my third favourite season ever..... assuming an all-female team wins haha

amazing_race

[87]Nov 15, 2010

VLONEWOLFV wrote:

Wow, everyone ranks 14 so low. I actually started with 14 and think that it is still my favorite. Victors turn around really sold it for me. Ranking them I would say:

14/16/15

I would probably rank season 17 as my favorite though if it keeps up the pace it's moving at right now. This season has been spectacular so far.

My reason for despising seasons 14 and 16 is that both had lame winners, in my opinion. Victor was bossy, and quite vile, particularly in Romania, whil e Tammy was flimsy and useless in the race. Dan & Jordan just lacked a shred of personality, so I couldn't stand them either.

j19000

[88]Nov 18, 2010
    • level: 50

Rocky1254751 wrote:
    I would slot Amazing Race 17 in between 3 and 9 on my list probably for the moment. Its not going to place in my top 2 because of the awesomeness of Seasons 5 and 6 but if it gets better may become my third favourite season ever..... assuming an all-female team wins haha

Yeah, Seasons 5 and 6 were the best of all I agree there. This season just hasn't been very convincing to me, and I don't even watch the show anymore. It is better than a lot of past seasons such as 2, 8, 13, 14 and 16 but it doesn't match up with the rest.

amazing_race

[89]Nov 18, 2010

I think Season 17 has been phenomenal. I've enjoyed it so much - and if it ends with a good outcome, then I think I'll rate it very highly.

Rocky1254751

[90]Nov 19, 2010

amazing_race wrote:

I think Season 17 has been phenomenal. I've enjoyed it so much - and if it ends with a good outcome, then I think I'll rate it very highly.

Definately agree! I started with Season 14 originally. It is miles better than 14,15 and 16 and most of the older seasons I've watched. I like Season 17 because of the unpredictability factor, the good locations, the (for the most part) harder tasks and most of the likeable teams being strong.

eaudra

[91]Nov 19, 2010
    • level: 11

Time to update my list of TAR seasons. TAR17 already has a spot in there, but if it ends to my liking (with any of MY teams winning) it might go WAY higher than at the moment. So here it goes:

1. S5 - the most competetive season like ever, nice cast, awesome locations, the most memorable teams (both heroes and vilains), some hard tasks and such a great Finish. Laughing

2. S7 - Uchenna and Joyce, Meredith and Gretchen. Aren't that enough? Then add Romber - once you hate them, once you like them, but that season they really did all to make TAR most entertaining.

3. S3 - while Flo was annoying in the end, they were quite fun to watch. Not to forget awesome brothers Ken and Gerrard. And this was also my very first TAR season.

4. S2 - LOVED Paige and Blake, the Cha Chas. And this is one of a few seasons with all male team winners I really liked. Though I still believe that Will and Tara could have one, if they were a team running to the finish rather than 'two people mostly done with each other' - one having let go, and the other apparently moved on.

5. S9 - the most favorite all male team winners. Memorable Detour and Roadblock tasks (Oman Cool). Most favorite geek team ever - Dave and Lori

6. Reserved for TAR S17, but as mentioned above that might change to a higher placing after the Finish Wink

7. S12 - Kynt and Vyxin Laughing

8. S13 - awesome 2nd place runners, wish Ken and Tina would've won though. One of the smoothest switch IMHO of editing from being total vilains to almost lovable heroes - Nick and Starr.

9. S15
    10. S6 - Lori and Bolo, the sweetest dating couple Kris and Jon, Hayden and Aaron. The most memorable fighting team Jonathan and Victoria Wink
    11. S16 - winners were lame, but I still liked the cowboys Embarassed. And Brent and Caite were a hilarious laugh too
    12. S12 - yikes for winners, but I enjoyed Jaimie and Cara so much.
    13. S10 - am I the only one who really enjoyed Mary and David?
    14. S11 - All Stars. Lame winners, but was nice to see Charla and Mirna, Romber, and some other teams come back
    15. S4
    16. S8 - this season should have never happened

S1 isn't in the list as I've only seen a few eps of it

amazing_race

[93]Nov 19, 2010

PintheDog wrote:
    eaudra wrote:
    One of the smoothest switch IMHO of editing from being total vilains to almost lovable heroes - Nick and Starr.
    Anyone who believe that needs to be hanged. That wasn't smooth at all. That was totally, completely sudden and made no sense.

I was neutral towards Nick & Starr for 10/11 episodes of tht season, and I really despised them in Episode 3 after the incident with Kelly & Christy. They are certainly no t the worst winners TAR has, but they certainly arent' great either.

eaudra

[94]Nov 20, 2010

Well, I do not want to say, that Nick and Starr were great winners or something like this. For the most of the season I was neutral towards them, except for some moments I've thought they were really playing dirty. But in terms of editing, at the beginning they were mostly shown as a team of baddies who play their own game and do not care for the others. And later into the season they were shown as more likable. The latter was mostly due to Starr's decision to team up with Dallas and Toni. That is what I can the smoothest switch from being baddies to almost heroes. They were mostly baddies, but some human traits (Starr rooting for Dallas) made them likable. So hang me, if you don't agree, but that is my reasoning Innocent

In any case I think that this switch was smoother than some others, e.g. Victor and Tammy - just could not get where the hell all this 'goodness' in the late season came from?

S13AR10AFan

[95]Dec 21, 2010
    • level: 9
    Season 1's great: we had great winners, the Frat Boys, and Nancy/Emily.

Season 2 has the overrated Blake/Paige, but an awesome finish and my favorite team ever, the ChaChas.

Season 3 is middling-I hated Zach/Flo and also loved them. But hey, Teri/Ian and John Vito/Jill!

Season 4 had a rather middling cast and not very good winners.

Season 5 was awesome, although I was never big on Chip/Kim.

Season 6 had the worst winners ever and the haybale task from hell but was otherwise very competitive and fun.

Season 7 had three of my favorite teams ever: Ramber, Uchenna/Joyce, Meredith/Gretchen. Oh, and two of my least favorites: Ron/Kelly and Lynn/Alex.

Season 8 should've never happened, and the winners were so obvious. Oh, and the stupid Weavers.

Season 9 had the most predictable Final 5 ever but was still pretty enjoyable.

Season 10 is underrated-I liked the F4 quite a bit. Models were fun, Rob/Kim had the tomato meltdown, Bamma vs Beauty Queens was awesome. David/Mary, though? UGH.

Season 11 had terrible winners but hey-more ChaChas! Oh, and Ramber's epic journey: 1st to 1st to 1st to last. WOW.

Season 12 had Ron/Christina, Azaria/Hendekea, Nicholas/Donald, and the most boring winners ever. I didn't notice they were still in until about F6. Oh, and I like the Goths, but they never won a single leg-they're overrated.

Season 13 had the most predictable winners ever. There were two U-Turns available, and nobody thought of eliminating Nick/Starr with them? They won SEVEN legs! Of course they were going to win the whole thing!

Season 14 was solid throughout, but never really approached amazing.

Season 15 had the second most predictable winners ever and an awful twist (Starting Line elimination). But hey, at least we had the Globetrotters/Poker Players too! But also the water slide incident, 2 quitters, and a team that lost their passports.

Season 16 was quite bad. Uninteresting winners, runner-ups who had the race practically rigged for them (sweeping floors? Really?), Ms South Carolina vs Lesbians for no real reason, and really stupid tasks. "Oh, let's have the teams drink a glass of beer shaped like a boot!"

Season 17 was a little predictable (Nat/Kat were obviously going to win), but at least an all girl team won, and it gave us Team Dumbass (Nick/Vicki) and the watermelon heard round the world!

amazing_race

[96]Dec 21, 2010

Can I just ask you what your reasoning is to think Blake & Paige are overrated?

PintheDog

[97]Dec 22, 2010
    • level: 29
    And what was so frickin' good about boring old Tyler & James?

S13AR10AFan

[98]Dec 22, 2010
    • level: 9
    Well, Tyler/James weren't amazing and I don't consider them great winners, but they were fun and likable.

Amazing_Race, are you asking me why I think Blake/Paige are overrated or why I don't like them? I think they're overrated because most people I know love them and I don't. I don't like them because they were predictable, didn't respect other cultures (remember when they said, "We do not worship idols"?), and acted incredibly superior to the other teams.

PintheDog

[99]Dec 22, 2010
    • level: 29
    S13AR10AFan wrote:
    Well, Tyler/James weren't amazing and I don't consider them great winners, but they were fun and likable.

HA! Tell me another one! I mean it! Tell me another one!

eaudra

[100]Dec 23, 2010

PintheDog wrote:
    S13AR10AFan wrote:
    HA! Tell me another one! I mean it! Tell me another one!

HA! Indeed, that is a joke of the day. Tyler and James were anything but fun. Cheesy and hollywood looking - sure, but definately nothing fun or likeable. Quite just the opposite. But, well, that is what diversity of oppinions and tastes are for Wink