The Amazing Race Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Ranking the seasons

amazing_race

[101]Dec 23, 2010
    • level: 54

Well I too despised Tyler & James. The only positive part of their win was that 'Bama did not win. I have stated and described my hatred of this team on many occasions, but when you compare them to other M/M teams who WON (e.g. Chris & Alex, Reichen & Chip and Dan & Jordan) I think I'd prefer Tyler & James (although I still hate all the teams I mentioned). And they certainly are better than winners like Freddy & Kendra and Eric & Danielle.

S13AR10AFan wrote:
    Amazing_Race, are you asking me why I think Blake/Paige are overrated or why I don't like them? I think they're overrated because most people I know love them and I don't. I don't like them because they were predictable, didn't respect other cultures (remember when they said, "We do not worship idols"?), and acted incredibly superior to the other teams.

Well fair enough, but just so you know, I saw a YouTube video in which Blake has started a shoe-business which distributes free shoes to children in Africa, so I think if they didn't respect other cultures on the race, he certainly does now.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

PintheDog

[102]Dec 23, 2010
    • level: 29
    You didn't like Dan & Jordan, either, amazing_race? I thought it was anyone but Cowboys for you that season.

amazing_race

[103]Dec 23, 2010

PintheDog wrote:
    You didn't like Dan & Jordan, either, amazing_race? I thought it was anyone but Cowboys for you that season.

It was anyone but the Cowboys up until Steve & Allie got eliminated. At that point, I realised that I hated everyone left (except maybe Caite, who didn't deserve to be there in any case) so I actually found myself cheering for the Cowboys over Dan & Jordan in TAR16's Final Leg, after it became apparent that Brent & Caite would finish third.

I'd say Dan & Jordan are my equal least favorite winners alongside Freddy & Kendra, Eric & Danielle and Tammy & Victor. That is because they lacked the slightest shred of a personality.

PintheDog

[104]Dec 23, 2010
    Ah. I never really found Dan & Jordan all that bad. But then, I gave up that season after petty Caite sent Carol & Brandy home at frickin' Louie & Michael's order.

j19000

[105]Dec 23, 2010
    • level: 50

S1 - The first season was odd, and only the beginning. The show was still forming, but overall good cast, good task design and a fairly enjoyable race. I didn't like the locations however, or the lack of suspense. 7/10

S2 - I give this a very mixed review. All the good teams went out first, leaving behind the awful Tara & Wil and Chris & Alex. Winners were awful, and the suspense was even worse than that of the original season (again, non-elimination placement and predictability). On to positives, locations have improved but Europe was nowhere to be found, good cast in B & P and O & D. This edition was the stand point of where the remaining seasons would follow. 5/10

S3 - Terrific season, and the best in its time. I loved all cast members, some more than others. I liked the winners believe it or not, and this season finally brought TAR to a place where I could fully remember and speak positively about all as a whole. The location mix was excellent, hitting Mexico and some of the best parts of Europe. Suspense was better, as I could not always predict who would go out. Though, one major flaw that hasn't been fixed are the non-elimination placement, where this time it was un-predictable, but left too long to the point where there were only 5 teams left. I loved the back-to-back NEL however, stunning. This is one of my favorite seasons, as there were no teams to hate, and most of the race was flawless. 8.5/10

S4 - Eh, downhill again. Apart from the locations which were highly interesting (in the first half), this one was simply plain, and boring, especially near the end. There was next to no suspense with the non-eliminationsbunched up at the end, together (worse than S1-3 placements). Onto the cast, uhhhh... none of these players were really memorable, likable or interesting. There was also un-necessary violence, and all this name calling thoughout. Task design was nothing new, or special. The two legs in India as well as the first leg in Borneo were dull. The show was not in a good place at this time, needing twists, a decent cast, and more suspense. If there is anything good to point out, I was happy with the winners, Reichen & Chip. 4/10

S5 - At this point it seemed as if there was a good, bad, good, bad pattern to the seasons. So you would expect Season 5 to be good right? Well, yeah! Actually it was awesome. This season marked the beginning of the TAR golden age, which would carry out through the next two seasons. The producers finally took a serious look and 'did' something regarding the issues. We were given a terrific cast, nice locations, various new twists, suspense, wicked task design and more importantly, arace highly memorable to most viewers, because it was soentertaining. The winners were great, and it just afeel good season. The locations, even those that didn't look interesting before hand convinced me, and another thing, the problem with the non-elimination placement was finally resolved, where they wereplaced throughout (not bunched together at the end) and un-predictable. This season is a clear winner in my books. 9/10

S6 - TAR 6 broke the good, bad pattern, and it is also my favourite season. Immediately after S5, the producers immediately turned to a sixth edition knowing that 5 was such a huge success to audiences throughout. The way I see it, S6 has everything that made 5 so good, but only more. Locations were the best crossing the best parts of Europe, Africa for two legs which provided high interest, andlast few legs were as equally as great. Task design was at its best, suspense and entertainment were at its best throughout. Most importantly, most of the entertainment came from the individual teams themselves bickering and arguing from the stress, hilarious and enjoyable to see. Two flaws I do have however, two of my least favorite teams made it to the final (F & K, A & R) and the winners... Well what can I say? Pretty damn bad. Oh well, that aside, this ranks at the top. 9/10

S7 - Another fine edition of the race, though it was basically another attempt at S5, where as S6 provided us with something different. Casting has never been greater this time, best selection of teams for a season. They were all so competitive and determined. This race introduced the double-length-legs and provided what I'd call the hardest edition at this point. Locations were less interesting this time copying S5 in less satisfying manner. They spent too long in South America, Africa and India. Non-Elimination placement was good, but not as strong as the two seasons prior to this. The best teams went on through to the end which was good (if you excludeR & K). This season is also worthy for having perhaps the greatest season finale in TAR history, where the best possible team crossed the finish first. This season was great in its time, and it is still the same now. It wasn't as good as seasons 3, 5 and 6 but its superb in its right. This was also the last season of the golden age. 8/10

S8 - Uhhh, no thanks. A Family Edition? That was one thing, but keeping them confined in one continentfor most of the journey was ridiculous. I could say I liked some teams, and locations, but really guys, this season was really nothing more than laughable. Although and I quote "we should not judge a book by it's cover" and in this case TAR: Family Edition, this was as bad as it sounded, if not worse. I didn't appreciate the winners, and the season lacked suspense. I'm sure Phil himself was bored being the hostand had one or two things to point out to the producers. It didn't work out too well in my opinion and I'm going to call it one of the worst seasons. 3/10

S9 - Huge improvement over S8, huge. We get back to the roots with the ninth season, and it was a darn impressive season overall. We were given a fine cast, nice locations, entertaining episodes, good suspense and nice balanced entry. The winners, BJ & Tyler deserved to win, and I was hoping to see them again in an All-Star edition, but unfortunately that never happened. There wasn't much to complain about, except the non-elimination placement (again) where they were bunched at the end. All the least likable teams went out first, leaving in those who a motivation to suceed. I won't go on, its not in my top three but I really enjoyed S9 and I could think positive about future seasons. 8/10

I'll review the rest in a later postfollowing Christmas Day.

Edited on 12/23/2010 7:39pm
    Edited 2 total times.

PintheDog

[106]Dec 23, 2010
    Honestly, I can't take anyone seriously if they actually thought the highly-predictable TAR9 was enjoyable. Sorry, j19000.

amazing_race

[107]Dec 23, 2010

Well after reading j19000's summaries, I decided to review it myself (without including TAR1 which I haven't seen):

The Amazing Race 2 - An interesting season for a time. The early legs were uninteeresting with poor task design. I loved the two legs in Thailand however (I always love Thailand episodes!!!) and I enjoyed seeing my home city of Sydney! The Final Four had three great teams (Oswald & Danny, Blake & Paige and Tara & Wil) but as usual, the 25% chance of bad winners came into fruition. I was highly disappointed with the ending. 6/10

The Amazing Race 3 - My favorite season! I can't flaw this season at all. It had a flawless cast (I loved every team this season). Locations were great (amazing concept they had this season, with the idea of only visiting countries they hadn't been to before) and I enjoyed every leg. My favorite legs were the England/Scotland leg, the Portugal leg, the fuel mishap en route to Morroco and the Switzerland legs. I enjoyed the Totem Pole memory challenge, and TAR3 is the only season pre-Family-Edition that had a memory task at the end. Most of all, perfect winners! My favorite winners so far! Flo was pure comedy, week in week out. And Zach was honestly amazing for dealing with her for nearly a month. 10/10

The Amazing Race 4 - This season had a sensational first five legs. Italy, Austria, France and The Netherlands were brilliant! The second India leg was also quite good, but everything after there was dull (except that remarkable South Korea leg with one of my favorite Detours ever). This was the first time they ignored Africa on the route as well, which I won't complain about, since it is the first time. I loved Kelly & Jon and I was cheering for David & Jeff the first time I saw this season, but I didn't like Reichen & Chip. While this wasn't an exceptional season, I do feel it is underrated. 7/10

The Amazing Race 5 - As j19000 mentioned, this was the start of the TAR golden era. The locations were great (only season to visit Egypt) for the most part. For some reason, I really dislike the New Zealand leg of this season, even though New Zealand legs are usually phenomenal. The Russian caviar challenge was brilliant, and there was another great eating challenge in Tanzania. Casting was quite good (Chip & Kim, Brandon & Nicole, Linda & Karen, Charla & Mirna) but there were some awful teams (Colin & Christie, Marshall & Lance, Alison & Donny). I loved the winning team here! 10/10

The Amazing Race 6 - In terms of locations, TAR6 is very difficult to top. Places like Iceland, Senegal, Hungary, Ethiopia and Sri Lanka have only been visited in this season, and even Norway and Sweden hadn't been visited before this season (although they have been visited since then, unlike the five other countries I mentioned). I thought the task design was brilliant (Hay-bales in Sweden, 'Beer/Brats' Detour in Germany, 'Catapult Crash/Cannonball Run' Detour in Hungary and the dreaded keys in Xi'an, China) and casting was phenomenal (Lena & Kristy, Gus & Hera, Jonathan & Victoria, Lori & Bolo, Hayden & Aaron, Adam & Rebecca and Kris & Jon were terrific teams) but the winners were disgusting people. I still can't get over Kendra's racist comment in Senegal. But apart from that blemish, TAR6 was incredible. 9.5/10

The Amazing Race 7 - This season did have great casting as well. I was a Romber fan when I first watched this season, but even though I hate them nowadays, they were great competitors. Other great teams were Ryan & Chuck, Ray & Deana, Brian & Greg, Meredith & Gretchen and Uchenna & Joyce. The locations were forgettable in my opinion, apart from the African legs and the England and Jamaica legs. The winners were marvellous, but I don't think this season had the best final leg (I'd rate it as the second-best final leg in the pre-All-Stars period, behind TAR3). Great season! 9.5/10

The Amazing Race 8 - The Family Edition would've been better if they didn't spend so much time in the US itself. There were some interesting teams (Gaghans, Godlewskis, Bransens and who could forget the Paolos) but there were the Weavers who seemed to have some sort of inner problem and the Linzes who were ridiculously arrogant. I liked the map challenge at the end of the race, but this season was suspenseless. uninteresting, and quite boring. 3/10

The Amazing Race 9 - This is one season which I believe is overrated. The casting was sub-par (John & Scott and Lisa & Joni were weak competitors, Danielle & Dani and Eric & Jeremy were extremely annoying and even BJ & Tyler got on my nerves from time to time). There were some good teams (David & Lori, Fran & Barry and Ray & Yolanda) and I didn't mind the MoJo. The locations were unoriginal, although I did enjoy the first leg in Sicily, the first ever visit to Oman and I LOVED the monkey-Roadblock in Thailand! (Did I mention I love Thailand legs?)Winners were decent, although I think they were way over-the-top and quite predictable (although it beats an Eric & Jeremy win, hands down). 6.5/10

The Amazing Race 10 - TAR10 was very bad, in my opinion. There were some great cast members, but all interesting teams (except Dustin & Kandice) were eliminated early (Bilal & Sa'eed, Vipul & Arti, Kellie & Jamie, Duke & Lauren, Peter & Sarah). After Peter & Sarah's elimination, the race deteriorated, and once Dustin & Kandice were gone, I didn't even look forward to the final leg. Some good locations were used, such as Kuwait, Mauritius, Madagascar and The Ukraine, and I did love the Tomatina Detour in Spain. The winners were predictable and annoying, albeit they were an improvement on Eric & Jeremy from the last race, who were less tolerable. 4.5/10

The Amazing Race 11 - All-Stars had 10 great teams to make a great season. Well, what do you know! The 1 bad team wins! Romber's early domination was good, but I was pleased with their elimination, moreso since it was at Charla & Mirna's hands at that final Roadblock. I loved the second leg in Poland, but way too much time was spent in Chile and China. Great to see teams like Oswald & Danny, Charla & Mirna and Dustin & Kandice excel, but I was extremely disappointed that someone so classless as Eric was not only invited back, but he won this race. Extremely frustrating. 7.5/10

I gotta go now, but in a few hours, I'll cover the post-All-Stars seasons!

j19000

[109]Dec 24, 2010

amazing_race wrote:

Well after reading j19000's summaries, I decided to review it myself:

The Amazing Race 5 - As j19000 mentioned, this was the start of the TAR golden era. The locations were great (only season to visit Egypt) for the most part. For some reason, I really dislike the New Zealand leg of this season, even though New Zealand legs are usually phenomenal. The Russian caviar challenge was brilliant, and there was another great eating challenge in Tanzania. Casting was quite good (Chip & Kim, Brandon & Nicole, Linda & Karen, Charla & Mirna) but there were some awful teams (Colin & Christie, Marshall & Lance, Alison & Donny). I loved the winning team here! 10/10

That's right, I remember you mentioning your dislike towards the New Zealand leg. How come, I don't understand? A bit of a shame, not just because it is my country and scenes are filmed in my born/current city, but I don't know, the tasks were sensational - the Wet & Dry Detour, the Zorb challenge and especially the Auckland harbour bridge task on the following leg. I accept your opinion of course, but I thought the worst episodeswere the legs in the Philippines.

PintheDog wrote:
    Honestly, I can't take anyone seriously if they actually thought the highly-predictable TAR9 was enjoyable. Sorry, j19000.

To submit pointless responses regarding acceptance in certain users repeatedly, well, that I cannot take seriously, Pin.

Edited on 12/24/2010 1:09am

PintheDog

[110]Dec 24, 2010
    Then don't. In that respect, we're even.

amazing_race

[111]Dec 24, 2010

j19000 wrote:

amazing_race wrote:

Well after reading j19000's summaries, I decided to review it myself:

That's right, I remember you mentioning your dislike towards the New Zealand leg. How come, I don't understand? A bit of a shame, not just because it is my country and scenes are filmed in my born/current city, but I don't know, the tasks were sensational - the Wet & Dry Detour, the Zorb challenge and especially the Auckland harbour bridge task on the following leg. I accept your opinion of course, but I thought the worst episodeswere the legs in the Philippines.

I agree that the Philippines legs were the worst for TAR5, as that ascender challenge really screwed up Linda & Karen. New Zealand legs are usually awesome (I loved TAR13's visit there and even TAR2's was decent). I really don't understand why I don't like the TAR5 NZ leg. I can't explain it, but I don't enjoy it when I rewatch it (except for the Zorb challenge). I really can't explain it!Tongue out

I'll give my TAR12-17 opinions tomorrow!

PintheDog

[112]Dec 24, 2010
    What was probably wrong with that leg was that there was barely anything exciting on it.

amazing_race

[113]Dec 24, 2010

PintheDog wrote:
    What was probably wrong with that leg was that there was barely anything exciting on it.

I guess that's true. Colin & Christie had guaranteed first place from the get-go. The only action was the drama between Chip & Kim and Kami & Karli.

amazing_race

[114]Dec 24, 2010

Ok, here's my summary of Seasons 12-17.

The Amazing Race 12 - An interesting season. This one had great locations with places like Burkina Faso, Lithuania, Croatia, Taiwan and even Ireland, which have never been visited in other seasons. There were a few great cast members, including Lorena & Jason, Shana & Jennifer, Azaria & Hendekea, Kynt & Vyxsin, Nicolas & Donald, Ronald & Christina and even Nathan & Jennifer. The winners were so boring, I was not on the 'mellow train' in this race. The final leg of TAR12 is my personal favorite, with an epic memory challenge. 8.5/10

The Amazing Race 13 - This season was not good, but I still do feel it is a little underrated. The funny thing about TAR13 is that it is so inconsistent. There are some legs which were phenomenal (Bolivia, New Zealand, India #2, Kazakhstan) and some legs were exceptionally dull (both Brazil legs, India #1, Russia #1). I think that TAR13's final leg is my second favorite, behind TAR12. The good cast members were booted early or at best, didn't make the Final Three (Anita & Arthur, Mark & Bill, Marisa & Brooke, Aja & Ty, Kelly & Christy, Terence & Sarah, Toni & Dallas). While Nick & Starr were annoying, they aren't the worst winners we have ever seen. 7/10

The Amazing Race 14 - Casting was brilliant (Amanda & Kris, Christie & Jodi, Mel & Mike, Kisha & Jen, Jaime & Cara) but there was bossy Victor and useless Tammy who won the race, and also crybaby Luke who decided to pick a fight with Jennifer. The locations were a shambles (India again, THREE EPISODES IN CHINA, WITH A CHINESE SPEAKING TEAM (AND THERE WERE TWO DETOURS WHERE SPEAKING CHINESE GAVE YOU AN ADVANTAGE). I did enjoy the first three legs, particularly Romania and also (once again) the Thailand legs. 2/10

The Amazing Race 15 - A huge improvement over its predecessor, even though it also only visited two continents (excluding North America). There were some brilliant legs (both Dubai legs, The Netherlands, Sweden, Estonia, both Czech Republic legs) and the cast was sensational (Eric & Lisa, Garrett & Jessica, Marcy & Ron, Lance & Keri, Canaan & Miss Waterslide, Maria & Tiffany, Flight Time & Big Easy, Brian & Ericka, Meghan & Cheyne). even though the race was predictable in the end, at least this time, the predictable team was likeable! 9/10

The Amazing Race 16 - If you want an example of awful casting, look no further! Anyone interesting was eliminated in the first three legs (except for Steve & Allie). Overused Cowboy theme, overused 'bro' theme, overused 'everywhere like such as' theme. There were three sensational legs (Germany, France #2 and Seychelles) but the South American legs were mediocre and all of the Asia legs were abysmal. The winners were awful, probably my least favorite, and the rest of the Final Three (heck, even the rest of the Final Five) was hardly likeable in any case. One point just for the three legs I liked. 1/10

The Amazing Race 17 - This was just awesome! With teams like Brook & Claire who can't make you stop laughing and Nat who was racing (and won) with Diabetes, it was the perfect combination. There were great legs in England, both Ghana episodes, Sweden, both Russia episodes, Oman and Hong Kong. I didn't like the Norway or Bangladesh legs, but one of those countries had never been visited before, so that compensates for me. Casting, as I mentioned, was spectacular and we had TAR history with our first-ever all-female winners! 9.5/10

PintheDog

[115]Dec 24, 2010
    amazing_race wrote:

PintheDog wrote:

I guess that's true. Colin & Christie had guaranteed first place from the get-go. The only action was the drama between Chip & Kim and Kami & Karli.

Well, that, yes, but the tasks weren't that exciting, either.

j19000

[116]Dec 25, 2010

I thought the tasks were exciting, and NZ style, but they needed more instead of just a Detour and Roadblock. This brings me to my next point; I did however think that they needed an additional leg in NZ, like the eleventhleg, keep the teams racing in my city - Auckland. Take them out to the superb west coast beaches such as Piha and or Bethells. I could recommend a ton of places they could have directed teams to go on leg 11, including Rangitoto and Waiheke Island, Howick village, the Auckland War Memorial Museum, Kelly Tarlton's Underwater Worldand maybe Rainbows End (NZ's leading theme park located in the south of Auckland).

A visit to Hamilton, Raglan and perhaps Mount Ruepehu (Taupo)would have also created suspense.

The New Zealand leg on TAR 13 was incredible, right in the heart of my city. I had been to every one of those places visited in Auckland, but not Te Puke, unfortunately.

amazing_race: One day I would love to hear your opinion about suitable places for the teams to visit the next time Sydney were to be seen (excluding next season). I'm sure you have not heard of most of the locations I mentioned above so look them up, if you like.

Edited on 12/25/2010 12:19am
    Edited 3 total times.

amazing_race

[117]Dec 25, 2010

j19000 wrote:

amazing_race: One day I would love to hear your opinion about suitable places for the teams to visit the next time Sydney were to be seen (excluding next season). I'm sure you have not heard of most of the locations I mentioned above so look them up, if you like.

I don't spend much time in the core of the City here in Sydney. I'm mainly in the suburbs, but there's plenty to do nearby, such as several beaches that are fairly close to where I live. I loved the 'Bridge-Climb' when TAR2 visited Sydney and they could do some stuff around Darling Harbour. They could head to one of the big stadiums in Olympic Park down by Homebush (do a search for a clue under the 80,000 chairs type of challenge) and I'd highly recommend any of the beautiful beaches for a Pit Stop!

j19000

[118]Jan 11, 2011

S10 - I really enjoyed the tenth installment, despite it's numerous flaws. The season had a decent cast, but only few teams were very memorable.The six-pack alliance still remains one of the stupidest attempts in race history, especially considering it never really worked out in the end, and by the time David & Mary were sent packing, team Alabama had no desire to keep an alliance with the Cho brothers. Onto the locations, now in this respect, it began rusty, and slowly improved (and I mean slowly). Kuwait was the first location for me to enjoy, while Mauritius, Finland, Ukraine and France were superb. I did not care much for locations visited on the first five legs, nor Madagascar and Morocco. I was happy with the winners - Tyler & James who I consider to be underrated, and more likable than Dustin & Kandace. I did like the Beauty Queens during their first season though, and other nice teams were Erwin & Godwin, Rob & Kimberley and surprisingly Bilah' & Sai'ed. The tasks and suspense were fairly memorable, but again, I've seen way better from older editions. The final leg wasatrocious, but at least the winners were deserving. It's a fairly good season that could have been better, and it was evident the producers weren't really trying in this one, despite the new twists (double elimination first leg, the Intersection and 'Marked For Elimination).

7/10

S11 - Hmmm, it didn't exceed my expectations for being an All-Star edition, nor was I very satisfied with minor flaws such as casting, suspense and ugly play. It was a significant improvement over S10 though I'll give it that. The good teams were John Vito & Jill (DAMN IT, I wanted them to win!! Eliminated first??? What the hell...), Rob & Amber (still loved their competitive nature), Uchenna & Joyce (having already won doesn't necessarily mean they don't deserve it a second time), Oswald & Danny (these guys made me laugh on S2, and they still do) and Teri & Ian (providing quality television entertainment). The worst teams were kicked off earlier (Kevin & Drew & David & Mary) but I also began to develop a strong disliking to Charla & Mirna in the latter.. Sorry but it's the truth. Anyway, huge twists and turns occurred, there were some very exciting legs such as Mozambique, Tanzania, Poland (Leg 8 only in Krakow), Malaysia and both China legs. I was glad to see Eric & Danielle and the Beauty Queens reach the final, but in all honesty - Oswald & Danny instead of Charla & Mirna - seriously. The second-last leg in Guam was terrible, and the last leg was average. I don't have a list of positives AND negatives to give to this season, but I'm sure if the producers had just tried harder in the attempt, task design would have been more fair, a better cast maybe and something a little more memorable. I enjoyed All-Stars for what it was though, definitely underrated around here.

7.5/10

S12 - This was where the show began to lose it's momentum, and my interest. I did enjoy the twelfth season however, but to me it came across as being quite forgettable due to the lack of strong and likable players, yes that's right. It lacked a decent cast, well, the majority of them were nice but I don't know... The locations were probably this season's strongest point, and usually when that's top notch, I declare that season as one of my favorites.Unfortunatelyin this case, nope. I didn't agree with the non-elimination legs being reduced to two, and their positioning this season. Other problems include predictable outcomes, lack of interest and a rather tired looking edition. The first seven legs were quite memorable, but after that everything turned forgettable. India was boring this season, the legs in Asia were predictable and un-interesting and the final leg was shocking - feeling toned down and not much to enjoy. TK & Rachel have got to be the most boring winners we've had, not bad, but just boring. They didn't deserve to win. I don't know, there were a number of factors to enjoy, but most of it is ruined by numerous flaws that seem to make the good factors less effective. It was a decent edition, but I only watch through to leg 7 (Italy), after that I'm not interested.

6.5/10

S13 - Uh oh, and so if S12 wasn't enough to bring down the show, this (and the following season) would do just that. I hate being negative about The Amazing Race but the thirteenth edition of the series took it's 'tired and weak' feel to a completely new level, and more visible at that. Where to begin, OK. The first two legs in South America were garbage, leg 3 was mildly entertaining, leg 4... Oh yes. This season's only real saving grace. The visit to Auckland, New Zealand, my hometown/current city. Now that was an amazing leg, it was a huge improvement over the previous visit to New Zealand. The challenges (Sky Tower climb, MOUNT EDEN! pure awesomeness & Gulf Harbour etc) were sweet as. I've been to all those, but not Te Puke, which is quite surprising. The great time for this season would be short lived, as onto leg 5, another poor episode, and every leg thereafter sucked. Couldn't enjoy any, just did not appeal to me. For the love of Pete, what is with the lack of Fast Forwards and U-Turns now, it's like they're reducing one or two just to save costs. Finally, casting was stink. I'm glad this season is not being represented in the Unfinished Business coming up. They were all bottle heads and whiners, and what happened to the good old days when the producers selected great players. Who knows, and cares anymore. Andrew & Dan were an embarassment to TAR, Terrance & Sarah were annoying, Ken & Tina... the less said the better, and worst of all the Toni & Dallas problem at the end, causing their elimination, followed by their absence from the finish line. Nick & Starr won, big whoop. They deserved it, but S13 was rubbish.

4/10

S14 - This is the worst season ever. Oh boy, and we only hoped it would not get any even worse. S13 was garbage but at least it still felt like The Amazing Race, this one comes off as being somewhat of a comparison. Lets start with the positives: I rather liked the casting compared to the previous four seasons, locations were excellent in the beginning, task design was good to begin with, and there was some suspense here and there. Onto the negatives: Locations turned sour after Europe with yet again another leg in India - and get this right; Four consecutive legs in Thailand and China combined. I was bored before they even got there. The worst teams got through to the finals, undeserving winners, a string of lame tasks including the Taxi dancing party in Thailand which was disgusting among many others (one of which gave one team the opportunity to get ahead in terms of language barriers), NO Fast Forwards shown or used, some of the more interesting teams eliminated earlier and then I have to mention the awful babiesh character in Luke. Margie & Luke were god-awful, but so were Tammy & Victor and Jaime & Cara. *Sighs. What ever have they done to this show? I could see why ratings were so low during this time.. What a waste. I couldn't even enjoy this season on an ironic level.

Luckily, hope remains for the success of TAR, as the next season would become one of my favorites.

3/10

S15 - By far, the best installment in the second generation of TAR, beginning at TAR 12 to me. This was a huge improvement over the last two, and I'm glad. I was about to throw in the towel. There's a lot to like here, brilliant casting, nice location mix, high suspense, many great legs, and sufficient task design. Regarding each individual leg; legs 1 and 2 were good, legs 3 and 4 were rather boring, legs 5, 6 and 7 were great, 8, 9, 10 and 11 were awesome, and the final leg was above average. Meghan & Cheyne winning was predictable, but they deserved it at least. This season's cast had many memorable players- Zev & Justin (despite their problem in Cambodia resulting in their elimination), MIka & Canaan (I really liked them until Mika's stupid decision resulting in their elimination while racing in Dubai), Sam & Dan, The GlobeTrotters (hell yeah! those two were excellent players and deserve every right to come back for the Unfinished Business, and last but not least - Maria & Tiffany. I loved them to death, and their racing strategy. Tiffany... She is just gorgeous. Had to say that, and I was upset to see them go as a result of the Detour proving to be a death challenge for them. The Sweden leg was my favorite in S15, mainly due to the 'Switchback' task. All in all, a very memorable season and it gets better every time I watch it. One of my definite favorites.

8.5/10

S16 - One of the worst seasons to date, and here we go again... When we thought the show was back to it's roots, this one gives us another TAR 14, but major differences are well... This season has better tasks & locations, while 14 had the superior cast. This season's other few positives were the couple of exciting legs in the middle, the suspense - now I quite enjoyed this factor. Also included are three pre-determined non-elimination legs like last season, but this season positioned ideally. There were few other memorable bits and well, but the negatives ultimately kill the positives. Yep, it had everything coming its way, but poor casting ruined it.

I don't hate this one as much as I hate S14, but I'm still going to have to give it a 4/10. I can't say much, just poor casting, non-TAR like and another brutally wasted edition of the show.

4/10

S17 - The latest edition, and now it might seem that there could be a good, bad, good, bad pattern happening to the seasons. Too early to say yet. I liked this season, but I've never really had much to do with it. I just haven't had the time to really see it, and when I did, I guess I just witnessed the less enjoyable legs. Yeah, well I'm going to go ahead and give S17 a positive review even though I haven't caught up with missed episodes online (I have limited Broadband). I loved the Scandinavia legs, though I wonder why people dislike the Norway leg, I personally enjoyed it a lot. I also managed to catch the first three legs, the two in Russia and the one in Oman. Actually very interesting, and even though I still don't know the cast off-hand, I can say The Amazing Race is running on a nice streak at present. The outcomes were fair, task design and suspense was a success, so all in all, TAR 17 does the trick. I may not declare as one of the best, but it works. Good stuff TAR for getting back on track, as I'm sure Phil would be proud.

7/10.. may be increased in future

Edited on 01/12/2011 2:02am

eaudra

[119]Jan 31, 2011
    • level: 11

OK, following the flow, I've thought of giving my own ratings per season.

S1 - just the beginning of TAR, which I really tried to watch, but failed and gave up after a couple of seasons. So 0/0 ranking is not because the season was bad, but because i cannot rate it at all.

S2 - somewhat lacking in suspense, but had some very good casting - the best siblings team so far Blake and Paige to run TAR, memorable and totally lovable Danny and Oswald. Tara and Wil, whom I liked in the beginning, later really annoyed me with constant bickering, as well as Tara running the race for other team in the end 6/10

S3 - originally S3 was the first season I've watched and it was so good that TAR hooked me in for better or worse. Very good casting, some awesome locations, and some very good tasks (builing a bicycle among them). On the other hand some lame tasks and Fast Forward (e.g. surfer). Impreved quite a lot in terms of suspense. Overall left me a genuinelly good and lasting impression. 9/10

S4 - an obvious downfall from previous seasons. Lots of European locations, but even that did not help to boost my interest in this season as it ws plain boring and totally forgetable. 4/10

S5 - simply terrific season. Lots of passions running between teams, highly competitive teams, and very very memorable cast as well as some really great tasks (caviar eating, plowing) and great locations. Awesome winners and great villains Karen and Linda not making into F3 was IMHO the only major failing of that season. But even so it is my most favorite season so far, so my ranking is 10/10

S6 - awesome locations, great task design (cannon ball run, Xian keys Roadblock), very good casting. Enjoyed almost every second of the show, except for the most unpleasant team in face of Kendra and Freddy winning. 8/10

S7 - the last piece of TAR's golden era. Awesome winners, the most lovable old couple Meredith and Gretchen making it so far into the race Even Romber was fun to watch this time round, especially seeing thecoming in 2nd to the Finish line. One of the most scariest FF like ever (Ray and Deana's in South Africa, yikes). 9/10

S8 - terrible terrible mistake on producers' part which unfortunately did happen. 2/10

S9 - had it's flaws in share of casting somereally weak teams (Joni/Lisa, John/Scott), as well as really annoying Daniele and Danni. On the other hand, a whole load of great and really likeable teams (Dave/Lori, Ray/Yolanda, MoJo, BJ/Tyler) kept me satisfied. BJ and Tyler's vs Eric and Jeremy's race for the 1st place on so many legs weren't helping in terms of suspense, but BJ/Tyler's goofiness, as well as some great tasks and locations helped me to really enjoy the ride. 8.5/10

To be continued...

amazing_race

[120]Feb 1, 2011

Nice rankings eaudra, and I have to agree with you on most of that list! TAR6 would've probably been the best ever TAR season if a better team had won. It is still amazing, but my favorite is TAR3, closely followed by TAR5.