The Amazing Race Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Ranking the seasons

j19000

[121]Feb 1, 2011
    • level: 50

Really, TAR 6 would have been your favorite if that was the case? Wow, I didn't know that. It still is my favorite now, despite the winners. I just can't really sense anything wrong with it, apart from Freddy & Kendra getting closer and closer to the end. It had the best in terms of suspense, non-elimination placement, balanced cast, excellent locations based in Europe, Africa and Asia, and of course the task design. The challenges set in Season 6 were among the most difficult we've seen in the show's history.

So, TAR 6 is still my favorite, followed closely by TAR 3, and TAR 5 respectively. I agree with you amazing_race that Season 3 is indeed amazing, as it was so great in fact, that you can't help but watch it over and over - kind of like how I felt towards Season 6. The only downside to TAR 3 were the seven-straight elimination factor, but that problem was pretty much erased due to the surprise back-to-back NEL in Switzerland, AND the absence of a final 4 NEL. I also would have preferred it if leg 12 had of been set someone where else, rather than Vietnam again. Besides that, I can't really complain.

TAR 5 is still incredible, providing some of the best television in history. Sometimes I find it hard to decide which was better, that, or TAR 7. Both were amazing and I can see why the majority of TAR fans place these TWO seasons at the top, but I still preferred Seasons 3 and 6 over these two. Close competitors are TAR 9, and 15.

My FIVE least favorite seasons pretty much remain the same, and in order:

Season 16

Season 14

Season 13

Season 8 (Family Edition)

Season 12

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

amazing_race

[122]Feb 2, 2011
    • level: 53

If Gus & Hera, Johnathan & Victoria or Hayden & Aaron had won TAR6, it would probably be my favorite season. If Lori & Bolo, Adam & Rebecca or Kris & Jon had won, then TAR6 would probably be my equal favorite with TAR3.

What I love about TAR6 is the brilliant locations, and the amazing challenges. The legs in Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Hungary, France, Ethiopia, Sri Lanka and even China were great. Legs 4 and 5 are the only part of TAR6 that I didn't enjoy, apart from the winning team.

Regarding TAR3, it had a sub-standard first leg, but Legs 2-13 were all magnificent in my opinion, and there wer also some great locations and challenges!

S13AR10AFan

[123]Feb 2, 2011
    • level: 9
    I liked TAR6 outside of Freddy/Kendra and Jonathan/Victoria.

eaudra

[124]Feb 3, 2011
    • level: 11

Continued

S10 - overall a very mediocre season, though some locations (e.g. Mongolia, Ukraine) were really great and highly enjoyable. On the one hand, the cast was quite poor, but some small gems helped save the day. One of those teams being BQs, and the other being that of David and Mary. The latter team was so out of place and 'alien' like, that I could not help myself but fall for them This leaves me with 5/10 ranking.

S11 - it could have been a really decent season with lots of strong and likeable teams, returning for yet another attempt for 1 million bucks, but... alas, here comes a 'but' - Eric and Danielle came along to ruin the All-stars. Luckily, along the way there were some good moments too (U-turn was used oh so well ), as well as Romber's elimination was so enjoyable, especially as they've lost that one to Charla and Mirna. If not for the one of the lousiest winners on TAR, S11 could've scored higer ratings, but it goes with just 7/10

S12 - a huge improvement after S11 and S10. Very well cast contestants, lots of drama, and suspense. Some interesting locations, and some great tasks along the way. Neck-to-neck race to the finish, and a really really difficult, and highly enjoyable final Roadblock task. Also Kynt and Vyxsin is one of my most favorite if not the most favorite team to ever run the race. Yet on the other hand, it was the only season, during which my hometown (Vilnius, Lithuania) was visited, making me cherish the season even more. Making my final ranking of solid 9/10.

S13 - this season was flawed by some unlucky elimination order, which booted some good casts rather early, thus making it possible for a very undeserving team to sneak into F3 (Dandrew, yikes). And while Nick and Starr definitely weren't the best team to win, as well as they were sometimes really annoying, I was quite OK with them winning, though Ken and Tina's victory would've been more to me liking, eh. Legs in Bolivia and Kazakhstan were simply phenomenal and provided some good old LOLs. Overall - 7,5/10.

S14 - casting for the season was really good, but locations weren't. And a really unworthy team snatched the 1st place in the end. *Sigh* 3/10

S15 - an obvious improvement over previous season, but seriously flawed by any lack of suspense. OK, OK, Meghan and Cheyne were really likeable, but them coming in 1st on almost every single leg on that race... I was rather bored in the end. Estonia, Dubai, Czech Republic, and the Netherlands's legs were great. Kafka's Roadblock was one hell of a task, as well as the unlucky Detour in the Netherlands. 8/10

S16 - not a gem in TAR's crown, but I've found it very enjoyable. Casting was that of some bad (Carol and Brandy, Dan and Jordan), to that of some really great teams (Jet and Cord, Steve and Allie, Joe and Heidi). The season brought in some awesome new locations, and a very picturesque Detour in France. Along the way there were some good laughs, what with Jordan and Jeff, and Brent and Caite shining in all the glory of 'we're not dumb' series LOL. Also it was one of those rare seasons during which I solely cheered for an all male team, which unfortunately were beaten by Dan and Jordan . So make it 8/10

S17 - awesome, simply awesome season, which finally gave us all girls team winners! An easy 9,5/10

amazing_race

[125]Feb 3, 2011

eaudra, regarding Season 16, I thought the leg in Germany, the second leg in France and the Seychelles leg were phenomenal, but I felt that the rest of the season was seriously flawed. Three phenomenal legs, nine mediocre ones, that doesn't weigh well for me.

I personally think casting was shocking in TAR16, apart from the first few teams who were eliminated, Steve & Allie and maybe Brent & Caite. I actually found myself cheering for Jet & Cord at the end, simply because everyone else was even worse!

I personally think TAR1y6 is the worst season of TAR ever, although TAR14 would come very close.

j19000

[126]Feb 3, 2011

Nice posting eaudra, and it's great to see a third opinion of all 17 editions overall. Regarding your second list of opinions, I agree with you on most seasons, except S12, which I do find to be overrated, and S16, the season that should not have been made.

I would have to agree with you, amazing_race in terms of your TWO weakest seasons. Yes, seasons 14 and 16 were very very awful in my eyes. Why all the like towards S14? People have listed it as - the 'different' season which made it stand out in a positive sense. I couldn't disagree more. My favourite seasonpre-All Stars was6, followed by 3, 7and5 respectively. Least favorites were 8 and 10. (Nope, I didn't add Seasons 2 or especially 4 to my weakest list, as they actually had more to like than both the Family Edition and S10 of the race)

Regarding post-All-Stars, S15 is definitely the best, followed closely by 17. 12 is decent, but the rest were either dull, or terrible in my opinion.

Edited on 02/03/2011 7:38pm

eaudra

[127]Feb 4, 2011

Well, I must agree, that TAR16 wasn't a great season, but I did enjoy it quite well. I personally think, that if I want to watch one or another season again, it ain't all that bad, and I watched TAR16 a couple of times already, and still get the same level of satisfaction. So from there comes my rather high ranking of season.
    And as seasons 8, 14, and 4 are in my personal 'don't want to watch it ever again' section, that make them the worst seasons, S8 being the worst season ever.
    Then there are some mediocre seasons which I watched more than once, and mots probably will watch them again, but with skipping some episodes entirely or partially.
    The good and great seasons are that I watch over and over again once in a while and watch them complete, that is not skipping any eps.

amazing_race

[128]Feb 4, 2011

eaudra wrote:

Well, I must agree, that TAR16 wasn't a great season, but I did enjoy it quite well. I personally think, that if I want to watch one or another season again, it ain't all that bad, and I watched TAR16 a couple of times already, and still get the same level of satisfaction. So from there comes my rather high ranking of season.
    And as seasons 8, 14, and 4 are in my personal 'don't want to watch it ever again' section, that make them the worst seasons, S8 being the worst season ever.
    Then there are some mediocre seasons which I watched more than once, and mots probably will watch them again, but with skipping some episodes entirely or partially.
    The good and great seasons are that I watch over and over again once in a while and watch them complete, that is not skipping any eps.

Yeah, I enjoy rewatching the middle portion of TAR16 again, but I don't like the beginning, and especially the end. The last three episodes of that season were some of the worst TAR episodes ever, in my opinion.

TAR8 is awful, and I personally would rate it as either my third or fourth least favorite season, and TAR14 is my second least favorite. But I do enjoy parts of TAR4, mainly the first five episodes, and a few of the others as well.

TAR3 - I have watched this season almost 20 times because I love it so much. It is my favoriet, and I think the Top Six seasons that are several notches above the rest are (in my order of preference):

3-6-5-7-15-17

Those seasons are the ones that stand out for me, and hopefully TAR18 will join them!

eaudra

[129]Feb 4, 2011

My Top Six would be 5-7-3-2-9-17, in respective order. And here's the funny thing, ranking the seasons separately, S2 only scores as mediocre (6/10). But I still love that season.

Off topic. Ever since TAR12 came to Lithuania, I was kinda wondering, if TAR often does present some local customs to produceers' liking? Remember that Midsummer's festival in Rumsiskes with all those people dressed up (Kynt and Vyxsin loved that part so much )? Well, though here we DO have a tradition to celebrate Midsummer, we do not dress in costumes for that holliday.The costumes are for a very popular Mardi Gras festival.

Rocky1254751

[130]Feb 4, 2011
    • level: 2

Looking back to my previous rankings I do think I may have overated seasons 7 and 10. 5 beats everything else by a mile in my opinion basically with season 6 in second place.

Here are my top 6 rankings:

5-6-3-12-17-2

Season 15 just missed out...

I couldn't have scripted a better season 5 if I tried and that season had the perfect characteristics for a great season (perfect route, excellent teams for the most part, drama, unpredictability, great winners, a villian team/s, brilliant tasks).

Season 6 had possibly thebest tasks of any season and a great route. The only country I could have done without is perhaps Senegal because I didn't really kuje what happened in that episode.

If Season 5 was released on DVD with extras I would buy that in a heartbeat!

And my worst season is 16 because I had no one to root for in the Final 5. They were all horrible to me really. I hated the Cowboys, didn't like Brent and Caite, hated Louie and Micheal, despised Carol and Brandy and Dan and Jordan were okay. Luckily my favourite team from the Fina; 5 won or to me it would have been even worse. Plus I didn't like the route apart from the Germany leg, the two france legs and the Seychelles leg. I didn't really care that much about watching after Steve and Allie were eliminated.

amazing_race

[131]Feb 4, 2011

TAR12 was a great season, in my opinion, but what I didn't like about that season and the one after it was that there were only eleven episodes - one less than any other season. TAR12 had terrific locations (Ireland, Burkina Faso, Lithuania, Croatia, Italy, Japan, Taiwan) and the cast was very good, althuogh the winners were very boring.

Ranking all seventeen seasons (apart from Season 1, of which I have now seen the first episode):

3-6-5-7-15-17-12-4-13-11-9-2-8-10-14-16

j19000

[132]Feb 4, 2011

Nice choice of ranks there Rocky, but OK, if I just included the top five seasons in my opinion, here's how it would be put, and why:

6-3-5-7-15

Season 6 is my favorite, and that will never change. Perfect route (this season made Europe look perfect), tough & excellent task design (the keys in Xian, hay bales, all tasks in Scandinavia, Hungary, Sri Lanka and China), nice balance of teams in Hayden & Aaron, Lori & Bolo, Jonathan & Victoria, the high suspense (non-elimination placement, and the first double leg) and of course entertainment. The one and only downside... Here it comes... The winners.

Season 3 comes second. Terrific edition of the race with THE BEST cast in TAR history (Derek & Drew, Flo & Zach, Michael & Kathy, Andre & Damon, John Vito & Jill, Ken & Gerard and Teri & Ian), lovely destinations, nice task design, high emotional times, pure team conflict, good winners and a good amount of suspense. The back-to-back NEL has to be one of the best aspects of the season, but the people on TAR 3 gave it the level of awesomeness that it deserves. The one downside to TAR 3 was the fact that the NE points were left until the very end, but the back-to-back in Switzerland improved on that.

Season 5 is a tad overrated, but still very incredible. Massive improvement after the less than wonderful 4th season, great competitors in Charla & Mirna, Brandon & Nicole, Colin & Christie, Dennis & Erika, and Chip & Kim. For a season that barely touched on Europe, the locations were fantastic! Argentina, Egypt, Tanzania, DUBAI, even Calcutta, and of course, my beautiful city Auckland. Nicesuspense andnice winners. My only downside against the season was Dennis & Erika's early elimination, and Kami & Karli (who I cannot stand).

Season 7 is also a bit overrated, but like TAR 5, an incredible installment. The locations are a definate drop after the stunning places seen on 5 & 6, but then you must consider that S7 has the best selection of teams alongside S3, huge suspense and what these amazing contestants had to put up with (namely Meredith & Gretchen and Uchenna & Joyce), and that, is one of the reasons why I recommend S7 for any TAR fan. My only flaw were the locations.

Season 15 is underrated, and spectacular. Of all the awful seasons that came after All-Stars, 15 proved otherwise and we given a highly interesting and wonderful piece of television. Nice new twists, stunning locations (every place visited from Dubai on was spectacular), great suspense, a very likable cast (Flight Time & Big Easy, Mika & Canaan, Meghan & Cheyne, Gary & Matt and my favorite - Maria & Tiffany). First switchback task presented, and well, that sums it up. Nice installment of the race, and under appreciated.

Rocky1254751

[133]Feb 4, 2011
    • level: 2

I think the points you gave are very, very good. Season 6 seems to be a love it or hate it season and I'm glad you love it (I think people that don't like it are underating just how great that season was)

amazing_race

[134]Feb 5, 2011

Rocky1254751 wrote:

I think the points you gave are very, very good. Season 6 seems to be a love it or hate it season and I'm glad you love it (I think people that don't like it are underating just how great that season was)

I'd definitely agree with that statement. Apart from the winners (which was a pretty big flaw) the rest of the season was flawless.

j19000

[135]Feb 5, 2011

People often complained about the over-used bunching on TAR 6. I have to disagree, apart from the one at the Kandi Art Association in Sri Lanka, they were all greatly positioned. Gave teams a chance to catch up, which made things very intense and suspenseful. Something that TAR 9 failed to do on so many levels. TAR 5 was another season with a fair amount of bunching, but TAR 7 needed more, I reckon. Particularly on the fourth, sixth, seventh and tenth legs.

amazing_race

[136]Feb 5, 2011

I actually like two or three consecutive legs with no bunching,like the Germany-France legs of TAr16. However, if used correctly, bunching can also be very good (although as you mentioned, the Kandi Art Association bunch-up was quite a bad idea.)

j19000

[137]Feb 7, 2011

Hmm, good point.

Another thing I hope from the Unfinished Business season is for the non-elimination placement to be a bit more evened out. It was quite next to perfect on TAR 16, but as for last season, I did not like it how the leg in Ghana was a non-elimination, not because it was too early, but I'd rather it were on the Sweden or Norway leg. I just didn't find it very fitting to Leg 3 on TAR 17. The second and third non-elimination placements were also out of shape. Leg 6 was too early for a second non-elimination, knowing that the following three legs would be elimination points. Lastly of course, the third non-elimination should not be made so predictable, being on F4. Maybe do a F3 for once, and give us a two hour finale. That would be a good idea for Unfinished Business, as long as # 1 and # 2 are placed accordingly. Maybe, legs 5 (f7) and 8 (f5), legs 3 (f9) and leg 7 or 8 (f6, f5) legs 4 (f and either 7 or 8, or legs 5 and 7 (f6). Just a few ideas. I wasn't really satisfied with any of the three non-elimination points last season.

amazing_race

[138]Feb 8, 2011

While I must agree that a NEL on Leg 3 is too early, I still think it was good because it was unexpected, and a NEL has never been placed that early, if you don't count Maria & Tiffany's first leg NEL in TAR15.

I would actually like to see the last NEL of TAR18 to be placed on the Final Five, after which there will be two consecutive elimination legs, before the finale.

j19000

[139]Feb 8, 2011

I'd have to disagree with that last paragraph, that being another reason why I disliked TAR 14. OK, that's your opinion. I mean if that were to happen on TAR 18, there would have to be a To Be Continued... after the f5, but after hearing rumors of the TBC being aired on leg 1, I especially hope that they do not attempt that this season. I also hope if leg 1 is a TBC, that it isn't split into two episodes and we can't witness the first elimination on the premiere. That would be an unwanted first in the history of TAR.

amazing_race

[140]Feb 9, 2011

I think that once in a long while, having no NELs after the Final Five is a decent idea, but seeing as it happened in TAR14, I can understand tht they should wait a couple more seasons before doing so again.

You always mention the fact that nearly every season has a predictable Final Four NEL, and I guess the reason it is there is because placing your last NEL any sooner leaves too many eliminations before the finale, while you can't send the NEL any later, either, because then someone woul d have a Speed Bump on the final leg (which would actually be an interesting twist!).