The Amazing Race Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

The perfect destination list

j19000

[1]Oct 20, 2011
    • level: 50

In my humble opinion, here is an excellent list for TAR to do if they ever would...

Leg 1 - USA to New Zealand

Leg 2 - New Zealand to Burma

Leg 3 - Burma to Nepal

Leg 4 - Nepal to Yemen

Leg 5 - Yemen to Kenya

Leg 6 - Kenya

Leg 7 - Kenya to Albania OR Montenegro

Leg 8 - Montenegro to Slovenia

Leg 9 - Slovenia to Norway (Around Bergen)

Leg 10 - Norway to Switzerland (Eiger Nordwand)

Leg 11 - Switzerland to Italy (Amalfi Coast OR Northern Italy)

Leg 12 - Italy to Canada to USA (FINISH)

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

amazing_race

[2]Oct 20, 2011
    • level: 53

I always enjoy doing things like this. Here is one that I just created (I'll be avoiding Asia for the most part, lol!):

Leg 1: USA (East Coast start) -> Lisbon, PORTUGAL

Leg 2: Lison, PORTUGAL -> Barcelona, SPAIN

Leg 3: Barcelona, SPAIN -> Florence, ITALY

Leg 4: Florence, ITALY -> Belgrade, SERBIA

Leg 5: Belgrade, SERBIA -> Yerevan, ARMENIA

Leg 6: Remaining in ARMENIA

Leg 7: Yerevan, ARMENIA -> Cairo, EGYPT

Leg 8: Cairo, EGYPT -> Lome, TOGO

Leg 9: Lome, TOGO -> Dubai, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES

Leg 10: Dubai, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES -> Tashkent, UZBEKISTAN

Leg 11: Tashkent, UZBEKISTAN -> Sydney, AUSTRALIA

Leg 12: Sydney, AUSTRALIA -> Auckland, NEW ZEALAND -> Phoenix, ARIZONA or elsewhere in the USA (but not LA or San Francisco) (With two Detours and two Roadblocks in the leg, and the second Roadblock being a Memory Challenge).

It is a highly unconventional route, but would be fun to see.

amazing_race

[3]Oct 21, 2011

I thought I'd also create a slightly different one which makes use of only never-before-visited countries, which would be an interesting idea for an upcoming season, even if they use a slightly different route:

Leg 1: USA -> Luanda, ANGOLA (Fly to Johannesburg, SOUTH AFRICA and sign up for one of two charter flights to Angola).

Leg 2: Luanda, ANGOLA -> Yaounde, CAMEROON

Leg 3: Yaounde, CAMEROON -> Bangui, CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC

Leg 4: Bangui, CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC -> Malabo, EQUATORIAL GUINEA

Leg 5: Malabo, EQUATORIAL GUINEA -> Doha, QATAR

Leg 6: Doha, QATAR -> Belgrade, SERBIA

Leg 7: Belgrade, SERBIA -> Nicosia, CYPRUS

Leg 8: Nicosia, CYPRUS -> Yerevan, ARMENIA

Leg 9: Yerevan, ARMENIA -> Dushanbe, TAJIKISTAN

Leg 10: Dushanbe, TAJIKISTAN -> Vientiane, LAOS

Leg 11: Vientiane, LAOS -> Suva, FIJI

Leg 12: Suva, FIJI -> USA

jekyll

[4]Oct 21, 2011
    • level: 86

I can't help but think that some of those countries are on the excluded list that TAR won't host legs in (and in some cases won't even allow layovers) due to safety reasons.

j19000

[5]Oct 21, 2011

Well, good point there Jekyll. That kind of sucks about the laws and everything.

If I could pick the perfect destination list that would entirely be my choice, and not having to cross certain continents:

Leg 1 - USA to Venezuela

Leg 2 - Venezuela

Leg 3 - Venezuela to Tahiti

Leg 4 - Tahiti to United Arab Emirates

Leg 5 - United Arab Emirates to Kenya

Leg 6 - Kenya to Uganda

Leg 7 - Uganda to Greece (Corfu)

Leg 8 - Greece to Slovenia

Leg 9 - Slovenia to Norway (Stavenger, Bergen)

Leg 10 - Norway to Italy (Capri - Amalfi Coast)

Leg 11 - Italy to Switzerland (Eiger Nordwand)

Leg 12 - Italy to Canada (British Columbia) to USA (San Francisco)

For another season I would make sure that Luxembourg, Montenegro, Slovakia and Monaco get an appearance.

amazing_race

[6]Oct 21, 2011

Other never-before-visited countries that would certainly be needing a visit (in Eruope) are Latvia and Wales. Let's hope TAR picks up some of the listed countries at some point.

It is understandable that certain countries cannot be visited due to safety concerns, but in a few years, who knows what will be going on the world, and that can possibly change. I just hope TAR20 spends no more than two legs in Asia, as TAR18 and TAR19 have spent overly excessive periods there.

j19000

[7]Oct 21, 2011

Asia needs to be cut off The Amazing Race for at least two seasons. They seem to spend more time there during the show's budgeting periods, and making it last for three-five legs. One or two is more than enough, and the only place I would like the show to visit in Asia now is Nepal.

More Europe, more Canada, more Africa and a little bit of South America. South America was one they would overuse back in the old days of TAR, but they could really visit Costa Rica again, and see Venezuela, surrounding countries and Paraguay perhaps. The show should be focussing on Europe.

amazing_race

[8]Oct 22, 2011

I would like to see them spend a good 5-6 legs in Africa on one season. They seem to have no problems spending such elongated periods in Asia almost every season, so it would be terrific if somewhere like Africa or Europe was used extremely extensively.

For me, legs in Asia are, for the most part, the most boring. There are obviously some major exceptions to this, but in general, legs in Asia are quite dull. Europe and Africa are generally the most exciting, and South America is sometimes great and sometimes not. There are obviously major exceptions to each of these observations, but this is my generalisation.

j19000

[9]Oct 22, 2011

Yes, hmm. I must say, amazing_race, the only seasons where I have enjoyed the visits to Asia have been:

TAR 2, TAR 3, TAR 6, TAR 9, TAR 11 and TAR 15.

That's not very many if you think about it. I don't include India as part of Asia on that list.

AR 6 definitely had the greatest visit. Shanghai and definitely X'ian. Outstanding.

amazing_race

[10]Oct 22, 2011

I'm going to evaluate each season's trip to Asia, although I won't be counting the Middle East or Australia as part of Asia, even though those countries would, say, participate in the Asian soccer competitions.

My favourite trip to Asia would actually have to be from TAR9 - I think that Thailand leg is one of the best all time legs, and hwhile the Japan leg lacked suspense, I enjoyed the tasks at least.

I enjoyed the trips from TAR2, TAR3, TAR4, TAR6, TAR9, TAR12, TAR13 and TAR17 to Asia. Obviously in most cases, there are certain great legs and some below-par legs.

TAR's visit to Asia in TAR2 was quite good. Thailand legs have a history of being awesome for me, and TAR2 established that. Leg 5 was terrific, and Leg 6 was decent. Leg 7 wasn't bad either.

There is nothing I can ever fault about my favourite season; TAR3. The Malaysia leg was quite good, the first Vietnam leg was slightly better and the second Vietnam leg was immaculate with my favourite Detour of all time. Especially with the Flo tantrums spread decently throughout these three legs!

For TAR4, Leg 6 in India was bad, Leg 7 was average. I rather enjoyed Legs 8 and 9 in Malaysia, particularly Leg 9. Leg 10 in South LKorea was spectacular, as I loved the Detour.

For TAR6, j19000's favourite season, I would have to say that this season had the equal second best trip to Asia with TAR3. Sri Lanka was decent, but not particularly spectacular for me. Shanghai was very good and Xian was absolutely amazing. Terrific stuff!

Moving to TAR12, where the India leg was very, very poor. However, both Japan and Taiwan were spectacular for me, and solidify my reasoning for TAR12 being my favourite post-All-Stars season. I particularly loved the Detour in Japan and the Taiwan leg had great suspense.

TAR13 spent a few legs in Asia. Cambodia was abysmal and Leg 6 in India was even worse. However, Leg 7 was spectacular and in my opinion, it is the best ever leg in India, by a long shot. Furthermore, Leg 8 in Kazakhsatn was also brilliant!

As for TAR17, Bangladesh was not good at all, but the first ever Double U-Turn made things somewhat interesting. Hong Kong was a spectacular leg and South Korea was decent, although suspenseless.

--------------------------------------------

On the other hand, the award for worst trip to Asia goes to TAR16. TAR16's leg in Singapore was very good for me, but both Chinese legs and the leg in Malaysia were very, very dull.

Coming in for a close second would be TAR11 for me. Did not enjoy the Malaysia leg, aside from the cookie Detour option. Hong Kong and Macau were also quite dull, with a few interesting moments.

TAR15 takes third place for worst trip for Asia in my opinoin. Japan's game show was exciting, but there was not enough on that leg at all. Vietnam's two legs were sub-par, although the Child's Play Detour of Leg 3 was definitely decent. The ducks of Leg 2 were good, but just like Leg 1, not enough on that particular leg. As for Leg 4, welll, quite bad really.

TAR7 only had two legs in India. The first was poor, the second was slightly better, so it'd place at my fourth worst position.

TAR10 is also quite bad, but it is saved from being any worse by a great Mongolian leg. Aside from that, China was suspenseful with the Double Elimination, but it wasn't interesting. Vietnam was better than that of TAR15. The third leg was not good, but I rather enjoyed Leg 4. Leg 5 in India was bad as well.

TAR19 is shaping up to go into the 'bad' pile. Leg 3 was spectacular, but the rest have been below par in many respects. Perhaps Leg 5 in Thailand will save it from joining the five aforementioned seasons (hopefully),.

--------------------------------------------

This leaves three seasons (excluding TAR1 which I haven't seen) which I would consider to be in the middle somewhere; TAR5, TAR14 and TAR18.

TAR5 had a boring Indian leg, except for the head-shaving drama. However, this is easily compensated by the two legs in The Philippines. Those two legs were definitely spectacular, but I feel TAR5 falls a little short of those other seasons that I placed in my 'like' pile, in terms of Asia.

TAR14 spent a lot of time in Asia and some of it was rather good. Leg 6 in India definitely wasn't good, and Leg 7 in Phuket, Thailand was scarcely better, although I must admit that I enjoyed Jaime yelling at little Thai store-owners. Leg 8 had a terrible Roadblock, but I loved the Detour, as it was so different. Then Leg 9 in Guilin was cancerous to the whole season, due to the Kisha & Jen / Margie & Luke kerfuffle, and the tasks there were preposterous, particularly the Detour that advantaged one team ridiculously unfairly. Leg 10 had its merits; it was quite emotional for Jen & Kisha, who were my favourites at that point, and it was enjoyable to watch the swimming things. And also, the TBC caught me well off guard, as I was not expecting that at all! It hadn't come up for three seasons, so it was a spectacular surprise! Then Leg 11 had another Detour which was biased for one team exceptionally unfairly again, although the task itself was interesting. Tammy & Victor probably wouldn't have made the Final THree, let alone won the race, if the penultimate leg did not eventuate in China, and if the Detour required them to know Chinese. Anyway, I am done with my TAR14 ranting, and although it had zero spectacular legs in Asia, almost all of them had one memorable thing to help TAR14 avoid the 'bad' pile.

TAR18 had an awful Japan leg, a terrible Varanasi, India leg in Leg 7 and a medicore leg in Lijiang, CHina for Leg 4. However, Legs 5 & 6 were spectaculr, particularly the respectiev Roadblocks that took place on each leg. Those two Roadblocks help TAR18 avoid the 'bad' pile.

Well, that concludes my evaluation. So ranking the seasons in order of best legs in Asia:

9 - 3 - 6 - 12 - 2 - 13 - 4 - 17 - 5 - 18 - 14 - 10 - 7 - 15 - 11 - 16

Currently TAR19 would be positioned between TAR10 and TAR7, but that could change drastically depending on how well the next (and final) leg in Asia goes.

Wow, that took a while to write!

j19000

[11]Oct 22, 2011

Whoa, you can write a lot amazing_race. Heheh, nice one though.

Yeah, my favorite TAR leg of all time is surprisingly an Asian leg!

Thepenultimateleg of TAR 6 in X'ian. Yes, you guessed it. It was the perfect leg, well I guess the Detour was not that exciting and only the 'Spray' option was chosen by all teams, just as it was with the Shanghai Detour in the previous leg. However, just the visit to the Terra Cotta Warriors Museum, the race in taxis to Mount Hua, the scenery of North Peak and especially the finale Roadblock just raised it beyond limits. This leg also had the best music playing ever formed on TAR to relate it to X'ian - end of the train ride & arrival in Xi'an, accessing Drum Tower, and Phil'ssynopsisof the Terra Cotta Warriors Museum.

TAR 3's visit to Asia was pretty good, though I must admit it does not come as something of highly memorable. Leg 10 in Singapore was probably my least favorite leg of Season 3, but of the three legs in Asia, the 11th leg (first in Vietnam) was by far the best in my opinion. I reckon the 12th leg should left Asia for a more exciting leg. Might have helped to cool Flo's complaining as well lol.

TAR 4's visit was lame. Only leg 9 in Borneo was good, with Millie & Chuck's elimination. Still not a particular stand out.

TAR 5's visit. Surprisingly, not a fan. I found both legs in thePhilippinesto be incredibly boring, and hated the first leg of the final.

TAR 6's visit. Well, not having considered Sri Lanka, I liked it very much. Very nice and a change from India. Though, I found the Sri Lanka leg of TAR 6 to be one of the darkest episodes of the series. There was something incredibly spooky about that leg. The Detour was awesome, loved it. Roadblock was awesome (but consider that one of part I found freaky). It was a great episode, just damn scary, especially with Phil's synopsis of the Pit Stop knowing someone would get eliminated. Shanghai was cool, X'ian was perfect.

TAR 7's visit to India was lame. At least the first part of the one leg was. The second half in Jodhpur was OK.

TAR 9's visit to Thailand was nice, quite a stand out. Japan was so-so.

TAR 10's ... Lame. Just lame.

TAR 11 was good, I liked Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong was nice and so was Macau. Good effort.

TAR 12.. Lame.

TAR 13.. Lame.

TAR 14... Even more lame.

TAR 15... Pretty good, this season has underrated legs 1-4.

TAR 16... Meh.

TAR 17's visit was not memorable.

TAR' 18 spent too long in Asia, and every leg was boring, except for maybe leg 4.

TAR 19 has to record quite possibly the worst visit to Asia yet.

amazing_race

[12]Oct 22, 2011

It is quite ironic that your all-time favourite leg is from Asia, j19000, although Xi'an was definitely a terrific leg!

It is also ironic that my all-time Top Two legs are both from my least favourite season; TAR16, with Leg 6 in Champagne, France and Leg 7 in The Seychelles.

Wow, very ironic...

j19000

[13]Oct 24, 2011

Hmm yes. How is it that you have your favorite legs in your least favorite edition of TAR? lol

Yes, I'm surprised too that my favorite TAR leg is the Xian leg.

amazing_race

[14]Oct 24, 2011

j19000 wrote:

Hmm yes. How is it that you have your favorite legs in your least favorite edition of TAR? lol

Yes, I'm surprised too that my favorite TAR leg is the Xian leg.

Well, when it comes to TAR16, I hated everything other than Leg 6 and Leg 7. The rest of the legs were beyond abysmal (except perhaps Leg 4), the cast was awful (or, at least, the Top Five were awful), the winners were atrocious and the Final Leg was the worst leg in TAR History.

eaudra1

[15]Oct 24, 2011
    • level: 8

We have a saying here that exceptions prove the rule. Same would apply for the fact that while Asia is totally overused, there were some exceptionally great legs there during past seasons. And Xian visit is definitely a proof to that.

I'm not going to specify the exact countries TAR should visit to make it a perfect one destination wise, but they really should do much much less legs in Asia. Instead more legs in Africa and in Europe, some in South America, and some in Middle East. Australia I believe also still has some interesting stuff so she could make a decent 'cherry' for a visit

j19000

[16]Oct 24, 2011

The X'ian leg was just perfect. It may not have had an outstanding Detour but so many other factors made it amazing, the locations, the music, the teams getting lost in X'ian, namely Hayden & Aaron with a terrible taxi driver.

The Terra Cotta Warriors Museum is probably my favorite historical site visited on The Amazing Race. Searching for that clue around the Museum was harder than it looked as well. Mount Hua and the key-lock Roadblock was the real highlight. Awesome and pure brilliance. It came down to patience, luck, and careful use of the eyes. I was sad to see Hayden & Aaron go out, but the marriage proposal was incredible, unlike Chad & Stephanie's in Oman. It was either Freddy & Kendra or Adam & Rebecca who should have gone out, but I'm not complaining.

Ranking my TOP FIVE legs in ASIA:

1. TAR 6 - Xian, CHINA

2. TAR 11 - Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA

3. TAR 5 - Kolkata, INDIA

4. TAR 6 - Shanghai, CHINA

5. TAR 6 - Sigiriya, SRI LANKA

amazing_race

[17]Oct 24, 2011

My Top Ten legs in Asia would look like this:

1. TAR9 - Bangkok, THAILAND

2. TAR12 - Osaka, JAPAN

3. TAR3 - Hue, VIETNAM

4. TAR13 - Delhi, INDIA

5. TAR13 - Almaty, KAZAKHSTAN

6. TAR6 - Xi'an, CHINA

7. TAR3 - Ho Chi Minh City, VIETNAM

8. TAR17 - Hong Kong, CHINA

9. TAR4 - Seoul, SOUTH KOREA

10. TAR18 - Kunming, CHINA

j19000

[18]Oct 24, 2011

Thats a nice list. Nice trend going there.

My top twenty legs in Europe would be:

1. Stockholm, SWEDEN (TAR 6)

2. Montreux, SWITZERLAND (TAR 3)

3. Voss, NORWAY (TAR 6)

4. Stockholm, SWEDEN (TAR 15)

5. Grindewald, SWITZERLAND (TAR 3)

6. Sugesta, SICILY (TAR 9)

7. Fussen, GERMANY (TAR 3)

8. Aberdeen, SCOTLAND (TAR 3)

9. Grandivik, ICELAND (TAR 6)

10. La Pietra, CORSICA (TAR 6)

11. Prague, CZECH REPUBLIC leg 11 (TAR 15)

12. Zermatt, SWITZERLAND leg 9 (TAR 1

13. Riksgränsen, SWEDEN (TAR 17)

14. Salzburg, AUSTRIA (TAR 1

15. Munich, GERMANY (TAR 9)

16. Athens, GREECE (TAR 9)

17. Budapest, HUNGARY (TAR 6)

18. Zoutcamp, NETHERLANDS (TAR 15)

19. Lisbon, PORTGUAL (TAR 3)

20. Keava, ESTONIA (TAR 15)

Honorable mention - Turku, FINLAND (TAR 10)

amazing_race

[19]Oct 24, 2011

Great list! A lot of very good choices. M y list will have some similarities, so here it is:

1. TAR16 - Epernay, FRANCE

2. TAR3 - Aberdeen, SCOTLAND

3. TAR6 - Stockholm, SWEDEN

4. TAR12 - Dubrovnik, CROATIA

5. TAR12 - Florence, ITALY

6. TAR3 - Montreux, SWITZERLAND

7. TAR12 - Vilnius, LITHUANIA

8. TAR3 - Grindelwald, SWITZERLAND

9. TAR15 - Prague, CZECH REPUBLIC (2nd leg)

10. TAR6 - Voss, NORWAY

11. TAR17 - Saint Petersburg, RUSSIA (1st leg)

12. TAR14 - Bucharest, ROMANIA

13. TAR5 - Pushkin, RUSSIA

14. TAR7 - London, ENGLAND

15. TAR18 - Zermatt, SWITZERLAND (2nd leg)

16. TAR18 - Zermatt, SWITZERLAND (1st leg)

17. TAR4 - Saint-Remy-de-Provence, FRANCE

18. TAR4 - Amsterdam, THE NETHERLANDS

19. TAR18 - Salzburg, AUSTRIA

20. TAR4 - Gmunden, AUSTRIA

Honourable Mention #1: TAR4 - Venice, ITALY

Honourable Mention #2: TAR10 - Kiev, THE UKRAINE

Tough to decide, but that's what I'm sticking with!

amazing_race

[20]Oct 24, 2011

Also, I forgot to add two TAR9 legs for my honourable mentiones above:

TAR9 - Segesta, ITALY

TAR9 - Moscow, RUSSIA