A The Americans Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on FX

The Americans S02E08: "New Car"

I’m not sure anyone had a good time in "New Car," this season’s slow-turning eighth installment directed by John Dahl and written by Peter Ackerman. Henry got caught creepy-crawling, Larrick took steps to break off his ties with the KGB, and Stan remained out of both his family and work loops while still playing the role of a puppet to string-holders Nina and Oleg. Elsewhere, Anton got a little taste of his new Russian life (thanks to Vasili!), Martha wanted to put a stop to her in-office recon, and Lucia met her maker, all while 160 Russian sailors drowned to death at the hands of decoy submarine plans. But hey, you want to see people have a good time, watch Nick Jr., you know? All season long there’s been a growing sense of ideological disillusionment from Elizabeth and Philip, and "New Car" prodded the Jennings into taking yet another look at the ultimate good (or lack thereof) they do in the grand scheme of things.  

Well, I guess Philip did get to boogie down a little bit in some shades with his boy Henry next to the family’s bitchin’ new Camaro, and Oleg got in a few games of pinball at the bowling alley. Hell, he and Nina even shared a few video game chuckles before Arkady’s stark warning about Oleg’s family. Is Nina working Oleg, or letting her hair down? I'd suspect her reluctance to go dancing with Oleg had to do with Arkady's concerns. She could get more involved, but having just escaped trouble so recently, Nina's playing it safe. Last week was intense for Nina, and if there’s anything that can trip her up, it's resting too much on her laurels during this victory lap. The Nina we see (cunning, strong-minded) is different than the one Stan sees (helpless, adorable), and once her FBI agent is able to compare these two disparate versions, the game is over. But what a game!

"When you get down to it, buying a car is about feel. How does it make you feel?" said the car salesman to the Russian spy engaging in a very American situation. Selecting a car is selecting a life, usually one you want. A Philip who hopes for a quieter, more stable existence might've chosen a station wagon, or something with great gas mileage. But as we’ve seen, Philip said goodbye to "sensible" a long time ago, so his choice of a rad Camaro feels more like an extension of that wild man as he comes to terms with who he is and isn’t. Regular suburbanites have mid-life crisises and buy fast cars; trained killers see the guilt of murder catching up and need to drive faster. Or maybe Philip just digs sweet wheels. 

"Don’t you enjoy any of this, sometimes?" Philip asked his suspicious companion Elizabeth, to which she clarified, "It’s nicer here, yes, it’s easier. It’s not better." I like this wrinkle to the Jennings' cover, but Philip being tempted by materialism and Elizabeth’s subsequent disapproval never seem to approach any truly dangerous territory—and that can make this element feel stagnant. That’s why it was so fun to see Paige explore Christianity, because it was something different. But the writers seem to know this, which is why Philip’s willingness to embrace parts of Western life only appears every now and again.  

Elizabeth is giving Philip more space, though—not the lonely kind, but the loving, respectful kind. However, Martha is making more demands now that she and Clark have successfully navigated the first major storm in their sea of love. Guilt can drive people to change, and so Martha requested exfiltration because she likes her coworkers. Cue Philip's doctored audio recordings containing a bunch of hateful, hurtful remarks from Gaad and the boys about how many scotches and bags over the head it would take to have intercourse with Martha. Though Clark ultimately withheld his plans this week, if he does choose to proceed with them, I’m not so sure Martha’s going to react like Philip and Elizabeth think she will. I could see a version of this scenario playing out where her damaged ego makes Martha do something reckless—like confront Gaad and his peers. It was very kind of Philip to spare Martha the humiliation, but she’s still going to want to pull out of this operation at some point. 

But Martha was the least of the Jennings' worries this week, with Lucia making good on her threats to go after Larrick and Elizabeth allowing the Sandinista’s death. We all saw this coming: Lucia struggled to separate her personal motivations from her role in the Cause (Larrick trained the man who killed her father), and folks who strike out on their own do not fare well on The Americans. I had hoped she would’ve at least taken out Larrick before her demise, but it makes sense that a deadly SEAL would come out the survivor. Yes, he had the size and the training on Lucia, but he was also more emotionally focused. He knows how he feels about the KGB (a.k.a. he wants nothing to do with them), and he didn’t have any vendettas clouding his motives. Just goals and actions. 

Elizabeth demonstrated a similarly emotionless resolve, trading Lucia’s life for Larrick’s help in one swift, professional negotiation. It’s never fun to see murder happen (sorry, I'm just going out on a limb here), and Lucia’s was so nonchalant in the moment that it struck me as one of the show’s more chilling deaths. "Get that body out of my house" is a difficult order to take when you’ve just looked your protegé in the eye and then OK’d her kitchen strangulation. Lucia had a small arc on this show, but one that exercised the motherly spy part of Elizabeth: Elizabeth coached Lucia through a drug overdose, helped her seduce and kill, warned her to play by the rules, and ultimately condoned her exit. Little did Lucia know that Elizabeth’s lesson in suppressing emotion was as much for the mentor as it was for the protegé."If she didn’t understand what comes first, then she didn’t understand anything," Elizabeth explained to a sympathetic Philip. He's been struggling with the idea of avoidable deaths too, so hey, silver lining: Lucia's death gave them something to bond over. Greater good, right? 

The announcement that the propellor plans Elizabeth and Philip stole a little while back A) caused the deaths of all those sailors, and B) had been planted by the U.S. sure made this all feel like a zero sum game. It’s one thing to have a casualty of war here and there, but to learn that the missions Philip and Elizabeth are conducting might be actively hurting their own people sure seems like a good reason to step back and take a good hard look at this whole espionage business. Even Stan Beeman, whose actual job is to take on Russia with the alleged support of his own country, can't seem to move forward.

Worse, his counterparts are basically already celebrating that he's a turned agent. Bureaucracy's a bastard, and if there’s one thing unifying the Stans with the Olegs of the world, it’s the shared experience of being on the front lines without the proper support from those in charge. Everyone can relate to this, because even outside of work—in just being a regular citizen to a country—we face rules decided by people who don’t live our lives (sorry, trying not to let this week’s Tax Day bitterness seep into this review). The only difference is that Oleg has the ability to maneuver the powers up top to his liking, even while criticizing his country’s own shoddy work from the battlefield.

EXTRA INTELLIGENCE

– Henry’s cries about not being a "bad person" echoed his father’s explanation to Elizabeth about what it means to be "human." 

– Elizabeth seething at Reagan on the television set will NEVER get old.

– "Pier 9? The wildest disco in town?" 

– Stan's garage outburst was his first angry explosion not involving spycraft.

– That garbage man was so scared. 

– "Maybe we kill Burov." "Is that a joke?" "That would depend on your sense of humor, sir."

– An MI-5 Agent spying for the USSR. Beeman's sweating it.

– "Other people have important jobs and wives." Oh, Martha!

– "Show the world American hypocrisy, their bloodiness, their willingness to topple democratic governments." Kate sure is passionate!

What'd you think of "New Car"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/8/2016

Season 4 : Episode 13

58 Comments
Comments (58)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Staff
Lucia's chilling death reminded of another chilling death from another amazing show. Breaking Bad, Walter White watching Jane choke to death on her own vomit. Choosing not to do anything because the cause was more worthy than their life. Great stuff.
Flag
The kids on this show rock, Henry nailed it and his pleading resonated with heartfelt honesty and then cue credits. Sheer gold!! The show did not let us off the hook this episode,
Via con dios Sandinista! Whoah Cold Blooded!
Is Ronald Regan the devil?
Philip talking up the beauty of self indulgence and then after hearing of the submarine deaths almost looked like he'd throw up on the gaudy Camaro.
Hey Vasilli cleared of all charges and not in some Siberian gulag, good to know.
I wish there was more of Stan's family, love all Sandra scenes and also his kid, how's his rock band going?
Stan needs a new car door or a target for his frustration at least.

Now comes my usual seething Oleg hatred, perhaps I need therapy but I can't understand why I liked Claudia playing Pac Man but find Oleg playing pinball and arcade games derivative.
Why must Arkady's character now be reduced to stupidity to promote Olegs? Oleg explaining stealth and radar to the rezidentura, ["what is this magic radar you speak of Oleg?"]
Oleg is now some subordinate giving comfort to Arkady [Da comrades die, there is uncertainty in our spy business but cheer up Rez we'll win the next one] I guess Oleg will be pouring himself a drink from one of Arkady's bottles before long.
More+
Flag
Yep, it's spy vs. spy at the Embassy. Arkady used to be the snake, now Oleg is the snake.

It was nice to see Vasili again, and I liked his talk with the scientist. This potential new storyline is born just as Larkin & the Nicaraguan dies off, very smooth.
Flag
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, so I might have overlooked it but the conversation between Oleg and Arkady was very insightful for me. I understood the theory to be that the plans were not bad...the Russians rushed the testing and used a submarine that was much too big for the design. This was a subtle way of showing that maybe Russia was only putting the blame on fake plans to further their cause and not take any of the blame at all. Of course Arkady says "no way Jose" (in a russian accent).
Flag
Yeah, I thought that conversation was excellent - there's much more to it than it seems. Especially when you consider Oleg's saying he wanted a foreign posting - a way to escape Russsia? - and we saw him enjoy playing a computer game. It is always interesting to see the Russians navigate around the joys of Capitalism - and question their government's decisions, especially when we realize how deeply ingrained their ideology was (or was supposed to be)
Flag
Fantastic episode, to put it simply. Beeman really needs a win right about now, especially as Philip and Elizabeth have managed to keep everything (mostly) according to plan. Of course, the show can only survive with the Jennings winning their battles, but with Beeman, it's been one setback after the other and the palpable signs of frustration are becoming ever so taxing on the man (also on account of great acting from Emmerich).

Nice decision by "Clark" to hold off on revealing the tape to Martha, as I agree, she probably would have barged right into Gaad's office and blown the whole wiretapping subplot wide open.

Oleg certainly looks prepared to usurp Arkady's authority and I'd even say his whole routine with Nina is nothing but a ruse; whatever he learned about her "relationship" with Beeman must have piqued his interest greatly, and he's not letting it go. I expect Arkady to be on his way out by the end of the season, even more so given his warning to Nina about Oleg's family, which may as well have been Arkady's "parting words" as I see it.

The final scene with Henry coming clean was touching, it struck the right notes, and established a nice juxtaposition between something as childish as a kid breaking into a neighbor's house for video games with hardened KGB officers living tough double lives. Lastly, the pacing of this show is nearly flawless; it picks up when it needs to but keeps certain interactions slower in order for the viewer to better understand its characters.
More+
Flag
Every so often, I pause the opening credits on random scenes. There is one of a guy with a blue truck, and he looks a bit like the truck driver they had tied up in this episode. Don't look at the still in detail if you don't like spoilers.

I thought Elizabeth was going to go all feminist on Phil's arse when he played the tapes of Agent Gaad talking about Martha. There's been a distinct lack of feminism this season, except for Sandra, who might be a bit of a smouldering bra-burner.
Flag

Jhoon Rhee Commercial
Flag
Ok, not to be nit-picky but Oleg tells us in his conversation with Arkady that the submarine that sank was an Akula-class submarine. And Arkady tells us that 160 men died. How does that work, when an Akula-class submarine has a 73 man crew?
Flag
Could it be the other bit of info that Oleg says.... that the sub was to large for the propeller info that they stole. perhaps the russians eventually take that info and make the akula class sub smaller to work with the propeller that makes the subs quiet.
Flag
Well, historicall, the Akula is the smaller of the two classes the soviets had. There was (is) the Typhoon-class SSBN (ballistic missile sub) which did have a crew of about 160. And the smaller SSN (attack sub) with the 73 man crew.
Of course there are always small variations for all kinds of reasons on those boats but those couldn't explain these differences in numbers. And I don't know that the soviets ever developed a smaller sub than the akula.

I'm not aware that the USSR ever lost a Typhoon in reality. They did loose some Akula's though.
Flag
If I had known that, it would have bothered me, too.
Flag
I was wondering why they have not approach Beeman to turn him completely. He seems now almost willing to do anything just to keep Nina safe. We used to see more tension between Beeman and Nina, now it seems she is winning hands down. I really hope there will be a twist soon that put Beeman back. Perhaps him finding out the cuddling between Oleg and Nina.

Watching the Jennings sometimes makes me forget about their ideologies. Today Elizabeth reminded us about why they are here. The writers should explore Philip temptations more. The show could probably only ends two ways. Either they defect or they die.

I am glad Philip spare that poor driver.

More people need to watch this show !

Flag
"When you get down to it. Buying a car is about feel. How does it make you feel"

I was wondering what this episode was building towards. Actually, the past few episodes. But then there is was at the end, Henry crying on his bed pleading with his parents and himself but also pleading as his parents, as their lives as both parents and spies that they are good people, despite all that they have done, they are good people. Keidrich Sellati (Henry) and the writers really knocked it out of the park with that end scene. He encompassed the whole of the Jenning's problems in one very well thought out scene. They kill people, they betray those that trust them, they intimidate weaker people, they blackmail, they steal, they lie, they do anything for the greater good of their country. But they are good people. This has to have echoed in both Elizabeth and Phillip's head time and time again. We just saw it when Phillip was dealing with the Mossad Agent calling him a monster. Utterly fantastic ending to the episode.

And that wasn't the only great parts in the episode. We all new Lucia wasn't long for this world, just as we know that Martha isn't long for this world. But seeing Elizabeth consent to it, someone that trusted her, someone that was on her side that looked up to her and that she could have easily stopped Larrick from killing her. That resolute look on her face was great. That look dealing with Henry, likely mirroring what she was screaming in her own mind was phenomenal. And the nonchalance of Larrick was superb. "Get that body out of my house" perfect line. And with that she knows who she is dealing with. Larrick isn't likely long for this world either, but dammit after this episode I kind of want him to stick around for a while.

Phillip buying the car was kind of hilarious. Him enjoying himself and saying that he is enjoying not only the US but the job was again kind of a mirror to Henry. And perhaps also a warning. There is nothing wrong with enjoying your work. But only to a point, at some point that enjoyment becomes happiness and that happiness becomes complacency and that complacency in Henry's case led him to fall asleep on the couch of his target's house. Phillip's complacency could get him and his family killed. Actually that is a perfect mirror to the family that was killed, perhaps they got complacent in their roles. Complacency kills boys and girls, complacency kills.

Nina, Oleg and Beeman. Beeman is so far out of his depth right now that it would be kind of painful to watch if it wasn't so damn fun to watch Oleg and Nina. I mean fun, damn Nina has Beeman not knowing what way to go. And I seriously don't think that Beeman is a match for her, let alone her and Oleg. Their budding relationship and whether or not it is real for Nina is fantastic. Nina is such a strong character and very interesting in what she is doing. Likely she is just looking to get out of this whole thing alive and is willing to do whatever to achieve that. But she is written so well. I have to also say that with Keri Russell that Annet Mahendru also should get an award for her role.

Also, we don't know that the US fed them false submarine plans. As Oleg said, they pushed the testing phase way too fast and the captain took it down farther than it should have. Now that could have been Oleg showing off to Arkardy, kind of showing that Arkardy is out of his depth with the technical side of this. It could be Oleg siding up to take Arkardy's spot.

Fantastic episode.
More+
Flag
Staff
I can accept that the "fake plans" were indeed an excuse sent down to hide Moscow's mistake, but I'm still puzzling over why Oleg would agree that there's no way of knowing whether or not the subsequent plane plans would result in an equally damaging accident, or as Arkady put it, "fall out of the sky." I'm guessing Oleg means that the same sort of irresponsible testing/execution by a separate department could mean more deaths.

Also, when Oleg mentioned that Moscow had someone in our Navy, did he mean Brad?

I feel like Kate is going to be the lynchpin in the Jennings' discovery of their superior's misinformation. For all the talk she's had about governments lying to their own people, it seems natural that there'd be some sort of confrontation with this (still) mysteriously assigned handler. Her meetings with Philip must be building to something.
Flag
Oleg probably knows more than anyone, including us. Granted Brad is someone in the Navy, but that is operations in that Brad is a SEAL rather than someone in the Surface Fleet or even the Submarines those are two entirely different parts of the navy that really only interact when the SEALs need a ride to a mission. My guess is that there is someone other than Brad that they have.

I have been thinking about Kate. Presumably Elizabeth and Phillip are some of their most productive spies. You have to think that warrants a good handler. And once again, Kate, like they did with Nina, can literally go anywhere as a character or nowhere.

The one thing we still don't know is the family from the first episode. Among the things that we don't know about them is what they were working on. Something that could have easily resulted in their death. They could have been on the Fleet, they could have had someone in the Navy. granted it could have just been the Mossad. But I am still not sure about that because the son was left alive and they aren't that sloppy.

This season has a lot of plates in the air so to speak. There is so many places that this show can go.
More +
Flag
There's something about Kate I don't like or trust. I think she will be big trouble for the Jennings in the future.
Flag
As far as the question of "who is to blame" goes, we can't really rule out a basic disinformation campaign by Moscow in order to cover up any mistakes or faults on their side. So as far as that goes, I'm more inclined to agree with Oleg. He probably has the most information and is not reliant on info the burocracy provides.

I think the various parties in the spy game (will) use this incident to further their own goals and motivate their people, to whatever end.
Flag
I love the pace of this show. Sometimes it seems a bit slow, but then I appreciate that it's not all action all the time. I think it makes the show much more realistic.

I was really worried that Oleg would be nothing but trouble for Nina, at first. He could still cause her problems, he's a bit reckless and he seems to like American things, but since he seems to understand the flaws in his own country it seems less likely that he would purposely do something to get Nina in trouble.

Flag
Staff
You know, it's interesting you mention pace - that's an area I think about a lot while watching this show, or comparing it to others. The Americans has one of the strongest handles on pacing I've seen in a while (Breaking Bad being another), and it's because there are so many story threads and character levels to access, each with their own intensity. There aren't really dull plots or filler-scenarios because the spy genre organically deals in subtle and overt storytelling in featuring nuanced subterfuge alongside straight up action. There's never a sense of taking a break from the overall mission statement because there are so many ways to access the initial premise of identity and personal relationships in the context of larger concerns.
Flag
Another thing about the pace, sometimes when things seem to be a little slow they're actually building up to some emotional revelation, like Philip buying the car was the beginning of something. He was feeling American, he got a Camaro! Then it all crashes down. He finds out about the propeller and the deaths and Lucia and her death and he's pulled back. The ebb and flow of this show is fantastic.
Flag
This show is never too slow for me. There is always so much happening, even if there's not much action. Sometimes I struggle to keep up with the action, like that episode where Beeman killed the Vietnam veteran on the rooftop.
Flag
What a SOLID show. I can't identify a single weakness so far.. Love it. The hour goes by so quick
Flag
Wow, that scene with Lucía was bone-chilling. The face that went through Elizabeth's face while she was being choked was too much. Can't way to see what's going to happen this season.
Flag
Nice touch, tv.com, with the red color all over the community page. At first I thought there was something wrong with my configurations.

Flag
Staff
huh, we didn't do that - looks like a computer in Russia hacked in to our servers...
Flag
Hmmm... COMMUNIty reminds me of COMMUNIsm. I knew it!
Flag
RIP, Lucia. You were really annoying. Not sad to see you go.

On the other hand, Kate is so adorable and sweet, I almost feel like working for the Soviets.

Damned conniving, scheming, untrustworthy Americans. Just imagine, planting decoy plans to be stolen. There's no honor in the world of espionage anymore. Seriously, I think it's the job of the spies to get the best intel they can, but it's up to the Soviet scientists and engineers to tell if the thing even works. And to the politicians to properly test the equipment.

Elizabeth must have had all her fears of materialism confirmed by Hery's actions. (By the way, Henry is getting much better story lines than that Brody kid that never speaks in Homeland.) Just imagine, breaking into other people's home for something as superfluous as a video game. But then, kids will be kids.

Personally, I wouldn't defend a Spartan, Soviet life style, but kids are spoiled these days. I have two nephews (11 and 14) and recently they both got smartphones which are better than the one I have. When did kids start getting phones that many adults find too expensive to waste their money on? And they also talk about the price of things, usually electronic gadgets, in terms of what is "cheap" and "expensive," even though they have zero money of their own. And they are very tolerant about what they consider cheap. Yep, spoiled kids living in a capitalist world. Or is it the parents that have lost perspective?

But man, that Camaro does look cool! I would even have it in this present day and age.

Beeman is beginning to look like a product of the Reagan foreign policy. to him murder is becoming an alternative he won't have problems with. First, Vlad. Now, Oleg. And I thought he was one of the good guys. Well, this show doesn't have good guys. or bad ones. They are just guys...

By the way, he could miss a few encounters with lovely Nina and use the time to clean up his garage. It's a shame!

Hey, what if Martha gets pregnant?

More+
Flag
It's also supposed to be the job of the (soviet) engineers to evaluate those plans and adapt them, not just blindly follow them no matter any other parameters.

Kids are spoiled, because stuff is cheap and available everywhere and anytime. But it is cheap because of peoples and companies strive for profit (and greed) and that in turn creates innovation. And that is exactly what the soviet economy lacked: A drive for innovation motivated not by fear and empty ideology but by real human motivators: money, power and status.
Flag
Oh, basically I agree with you, and what you said about the Soviet economy is right. But as I said "cheap" is a relative term. I'd say stuff is affordable, not necessarily cheap, and a lot of money goes into iPads, iPods, iPhones, Wii, Playstations, etc, and when the credit card bills come...

And let's not even consider planned obsolescence, because soon these models are outdated and people, which includes kids, want new models. I'm very glad we have the option of buying stuff we want, but we have to spend wisely and with criteria. And kids often lack that. Oh, spoiled kids really annoy me, I tell you, and my nephews have no idea about the real cost things have. They just want, and their parents indulge them.

Specifically about the show, Phil indulged himself with a shiny new car (by the way, as a spy, wouldn't it be wiser to buy a car that wouldn't stand out so much?), and Henry has a consumer electronics desire of his own. And I can imagine how Elizabeth must be feeling, because as a kid she might have broken into somebody else's home to get food, not to play with an expensive toy. Henry's situation will only strengthen her resolve against the American way of life, and she's simply incapable of appreciating the fact that their kids don't have to stand in line for old bread and soup.

And now I'm curious how the sentence was going to end when she said "And just ten miles from here, there are people..." People who...? Live in slums, in crime-infested neighborhoods? I'm not aware of the American reality in the 1980s? What was so troubling about the way people were living 10 miles from the nice suburban zone where the Jennings live (lived)?
More +
Flag
I can't believe Phil already took the new car to meet Kate. The Camaro is a good part of the cover, only if they don't use it for spy business.
Flag
Oh, I won't contradict you on spending wisely - just the opposite - I think in todays economy it is a nescesary skill.

True, it is not exactly an undercover sort of car, just like Oleg's Citroen wasn't.
Not only do their kids not have to stand in line for food, the cheapest car Phil could have bought would probably still have been better than any car he could have gotten back "home" in the USSR.
Flag
1. Poor Elizabeth :( She had to look on her protégé's death. At least she found comfort in Philip's arms.

2. Poor Henry :( I wanted to hug him when he started to cry. The worst punishment is the one we inflict on ourselves.

3. That Camaro was just sweet! Philip has a good taste.

4. When Beeman gave Oleg the report I kind of expected Oleg to say: "Welcome to KGB".

5. Where was Paige this week?

Thanks for review, Ryan!
Flag
"I'm not a bad person." If Henry only knew what his parents get up to.

You know Philip is going to punctuate a conversation by crashing that Camaro.
Flag
Yeah that poor, gorgeous Camaro will end up in junkyard :(
Flag
I only had a problem was with Lucia fighting Larrick. You mean a Navy Seal can't beat a young women in a fight in 30 seconds? Even if he is drugged? Please.

Hur-Hra! Marines!
Flag
This was a very morose sort of epiosde huh? Geez. I need to rethink watching it right after a bunch of people sacrificed themselves on the Ark and Ollie being self flatugulating. I am rethinking all Nina and Arkady conversations now he appears to actually care about her. Maybe I missed something why wouldn't the trash guy look at Elizabeth?
Flag
I enjoyed the Russians' reactions to the news that the Americans had planted fake plans for submarines for the Russians to steal. How dare they do that! It shows how blind ideologies can make people.
Flag
Great episode. It opened with the old Jhoon Rhee commercial: "Nobody bothers me!" That counterintelligence sub design scam was pure pwnage. It was weird to see the russians talking about Ronald Reagan like he was Satan himself.
Flag
Oh my gosh, I travelled back in time over 30 years -- and cheered out loud -- when I saw them watching the Jhoon Rhee commercial. To those unfamiliar with what we're talking about, Jhoon Rhee ran (and still does run, apparently) several tae kwon do schools in the Falls Church / D.C. area. That one commercial ran so often (and was just bad enough) that it oddly became a favorite, forever ingrained in many minds. To this day, I can still recite the song by heart that was sung in it.

This was easily the highlight of the episode for me. Such a classic.

Flag
That really shows just how much work goes into this series, the research, the locales, even tv shows and ads. I've lived in DC all my life, so when I see spy meetings taking place in familiar settings or car chases around Walter Reed hospital and piney branch road... its like mind blowing because lots of this stuff looks the same as it did it the 80s. Like traveling back in time.
Flag
I found it oddly nostalgic. Without going all political on a forum dedicated to television art, it has always puzzled me how most Americans failed comprehend people in the rest of the world were shocked a B grade actor more famous for informing on his friends, colleagues and fellow union members to Joe McCarthy than any movie role he played, was elected US president.

Those were more innocent times and the notion that any white male with a full head of hair and the right media advisers could sell himself like detergent was a lot more scary then than it is now.
Now average Joes & Joans regard the expectation of the democratic process selecting a leader who is not a narcissistic tool of the rich & powerful, as immature fantasy.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members