The Americans

Pilot

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jan 30, 2013 on FX

• Good start in the premiere episode.

This was a really interesting first episode that introduces the show niecly. While it was a little slow-moving at times, it was generally very interesting. I really enjoyed the covert stuff going on while they lived their regular lives with their children in the process. It was really cool seeing the two sides of the coin.

Kinda funny that the FBI Agent has moved into the neighbourhood and I think that will be a great dynamic for the show.

Overall, i really look forward to Episode 2!
  • Terrific Cold war Spy drama !

Not filled with car chases and explosions. More like the real thing - thoughtful.

If you need training on serious Spy dramas ---

"The Spy Who Came in From the Cold" and "Three Days of the Condor"

would be good training.

Hopefully, there will be enough audience to support this very good Series!

• One of the better Pilots

This episode had action, romance, and intrigue. Everything you could want. Great!
  • interesting

it definetly got my attention, i am going to watch the next episodes as well i believe...
  • Love this pilot

The premise is awesome - Keri Russell is terrifyingly cold, Matthew Rhys is very believable as a husband who is tired of his sacrifice, and tension is literally built into every scene as a result of the CIA agent living next door. Noah Emmerich was great as well. Excited to see where they take his investigation. Much like Hank Schrader on Breaking Bad, I could easily see the audience rooting for him by the season finale.

I only had a few gripes - 1) Kerri Russel's Russian accent and 2) Phillip's revenge attack on the brute/pedophile from the mall, which felt a little bit too action movie forced. I realize he's a spy, but I don't think he'd search out unnecessary danger and he probably wouldn't be capable of taking that guy down so thoroughly. I prefer the idea that his wife is the badass, while he's the brains.
  • Pilot

The first episode of The Americans is a little slow-moving, definitely not for everyone, but this show does have some appeal. They built up the three main characters well, and they established where the drama will come from this season.

It has the potential to be better than Homeland, but I am not someone who worships that show either. I would urge you to give it a chance, because while it is not action-packed, it is one of the best dramas FX has to offer.
  • Eat the Brownie

Not sure the concept is timely, not sure I can take much more of the elongated stares, but I love the characters and the snippets of backstories presented in this pilot. This would have been better in a shorter timeslot, I think. It was very drawn-out, with scenes lasting a lot longer than they had any right to. The biggest draw, as previously mentioned, are the characters. However, there weren't any hooks beyond that. A few more episodes will tell if this is worthwhile or not.
  • COLD WAR HEATS UP

Keri Russell finally finds a role that highlights her two best skills - conveying emotion and kicking ass. The Cold War brought clarity to international politics, and this show brings clarity to why FX is ascending in the quality drama department. Let talented folks make quality tv with quality actors. Keep it up. TAW