The Americans

Wednesday 10:00 PM on FX Premiered Jan 30, 2013 Between Seasons

dhaworth

The Americans Fan Reviews (69)

• this show sucks

nothing to like a bout this show
  • Losing Interest

1.5
    The show is beginning to lose my interest. I'm finding it quite an insult to my intelligence that I'm assaulted with every 8 minutes another sexual situation scene. How many times can we watch a fictionally married couple have sex? Have the writers of the show run out of KGB story lines already? I will discontinue watching the show unless the writers come up with better content for viewing. If I want to watch a couple having sex on the screen, I can log onto the internet at any given time. I was hoping to be entertained in a more intelligent fashion, by way of a witty writer giving me a story of a KGB Agent. .
  • It has turned into a SOAP OPERA

1.5
    I had high hopes after the first few episodes. However, as is increasingly prevalent, writers get lazy and, when they can't think of any REAL plot lines, resort to the simpering, whiney, oh-so-emotional soap opera shit.

Grow up ....... get off your butts ....... write something INTERESTING.

Stop wasting some great actors.
  • what is wrong with this show?

2.5
    I've tried to like this show, but there is something not right about it. I thought after three episodes I should have been hooked - I wanted to be hooked, but I found myself trying too hard to make it work. Something disingenuous about it, can't put my finger on it. Production value is good, direction is good, acting isn't bad, it's when you assemble the whole package, just doesn't work.
  • Disappointing

This show should have been great. But unlikable characters and shoddily composed story lines have caused it to fall far short of its promising potential. I love a good anti-hero story, but I simply could not bring myself to root for Elizabeth and Philip. Elizabeth, a supposedly brilliant secret agent, is blinded by her own brainwashed upbringing/training to the point of annoyance. She refuses, for instance, to let her daughter go to church camp because "that's how they get indoctrinate them when they're young"-- does she seriously not pause for a moment to contemplate how old SHE was indoctrinated? Really? The story lines are imbued with a darkness reminiscent of a Breaking Bad or Fargo, but without any of the redeeming qualities that would render the show worth watching.
  • Wasted Potential

This shows great premise is completely squandered by the poor, incoherent writing. Somehow they've managed to blow a great love story between two likeable leads within the first several episodes and it continues to devolve into a soapy mess.

This show even manages to make sex uninteresting.

What a shame.
  • Downhill?

I really liked the pilot for this show. But since then it has gone downhill. It has become (to me) very boring and dull. Am i missing something when I fall asleep?
  • Writer's need a pill!

I really like the show and have been watching since day one. Sometimes the writing is too obvious when you know whats going to happen ahead of time when Keri and Matt's character are taken and beating up in a basement. Seen that a mile away! Besides thinking about that time when all clandestine Russians must have rank, so when Keri beats up her boss, its like a captain beating up a colonel or major and that just does not go away.

My wife watches too and her only problem is why the FBI guy who may be a great character, but is really ugly for him to have a young gorgeous wife and in the last episode fools around with the beautiful Russian. C'mon, he doesn't have the looks, personality or NOTHING!!. My wife says if she was the Russian, with not only fooling around with her old boss and now the FBI guy, she is definitely better in the GULAG!

• Watcable

4.5
    Although not a revolotionary plot, it's watchable with good characters. But the sound mixing is nothing but terrible!
  • Who's not to like? - Everyone (almost).

I guess all this fascination with this series has a lot to do with being American. Even though I can appreciate the craftsmanship in the writing, directing and acting of it, and even though I appreciate the historical context being woven into the action, I must say that I am quite disappointed about the main characters' "vibes": there is hardly anyone to like (or even to hate, for that matter). The acting is fine, I guess (and I am especially fond of Nina, Stan Beeman and Claudia - but the leads are still somehow dull and robotic, even. - But maybe that's what life as a spy inmidst enemy territory does to you.
  • Always the same...

I really enjoy the drama of the show. But I am getting bored, after an entire season and into this one, week after week; every mission the Russians run seems to work out. As for the FBI and the Americans, they're always screwing up. The most pathetic part is, every American citizen is a sell out for sex. Have sex with a guy and he's prepared to commit treason. I wonder how the Russians managed to lose the cold war with so many sex crazed Americans with Top Secret clearances ready to give up secrets for some bedroom action.
  • Spy's have painful sex and men have good Disguise's

Highlight of this show is how well the disguise's work on Matthew Rhys our male lead. He looks like a totally different person every time. There are so many different looks it's amazing.

This show is pretty good once it got past the first two episodes, but at times it still can be slightly hard to follow. You really have to pay attention, this show you will have to sit down to watch and do nothing else; I like that. Things always make since by episode end but a few times I was like "What is happening?" It moves really fast and is exciting during action scenes that look and feel realistic. Dialogue is very well written and intense. One thing that made me rate it a seven is because the sex scenes are horrible and there are too many of them. Every character seems to be in pain during these scenes, thank god they are short. There are few instances where they improperly have 90's references in a show that's supposed to be set in the 80's. I'll continue to watch it, I recommend it hoping they fix some of these issues in season 2.
  • Entertaining

Another good program from FX Canada. Needed something to fill in the void after season 3 of the Walking Dead.

Watched the pilot -- what hooked me was the action started right away with Fleetwood Macks Tusk playing in the background.

I like the strory line but they need to pick up more of the physical action & kills -- and less of the whoring around with all these characters -- never knew spys had so much sex while at work .

Sort of reminds me of Arrow -- started out great but gets watered down once you pry too deep with the characters love life.

Would not go as far as saying it's the "best show in years" just an above average entertaing program that is worth a look.
  • Don't look it up on IMDB unless you like spoilers.

It tells you how many episodes each actor is in, and from that you can deduce how long each character survives in the world of The Americans.

I'd be really happy if someone wrote a long thoughtful review for comment.
  • Confusion over who the bad guys really are

I'm upset when I read that supposedly loyal Americans are actually rooting

for the 2 evil enemy agents, Phillip and Elizabeth Jennings. Remember that they

are in this country to serve their Kremlin masters and undermine our way of life. Phillip

killed an FBI agent (Amador) and Elizabeth murdered a neighborhood watch policeman

in cold blood. They threatened the lives of both the maid's son and a warehouse

worker and are using their own children as innocent cover for their nefarious

activities. I realize that this is just tv drama but I hope that, in the end of the

series, Phillip and Elizabeth meet a very unpleasant end.
  • Interesting view

Very nice show, the spy couple are amazing with their doubt and loyalty to their country and family. It is good to be back in the 80's.
  • Interesting

The Americans an espionage during the cold war is a refreshing show with good writing and direction from the show runners. its the 80's 24 and its funny to see how they struggle with lack of technology back then. The pacing of the show is great and a bit believable, the get potential but must improve certain aspects like how the KGB gets a field day on American soil with not much interference and i will like to see more struggles for Phil and Elizabeth in their operations than the smooth passage every episode.
  • love the actress

who was in house. I hope this turns out to be a good show.
  • This is a great quality show

I just came on to take the trouble to say this is a a great show. Intelligent and realistic. Kudos to the writers and all involved. Dont screw this one up and make sure there will be more seasons. Notwithstanding some valid points made by Howard Berger below in comments. Still a great show.
  • SEXY AND KILLER!

I expected more from this show but it's still sometimes awesome.

• Great Tv

Great Writing and the acting does the writing justice.

BeatTheNifty
  • Margo Martindale(Claudia) never got clobbered like that.....

in her role as Mags in Justified Elizabeth would have been swallowing some of Mags elixir in a hurry had she tried such a thing over there.

Best TV show in forever.

• the americans

really like it something different well written
  • Thrilling

A true spy thriller! Great to watch! Great acting and actors!
  • what year was this again?

i didn't pay attention to the intro so i didn't see that it started in the 80s and i never caught on, so when the went back to 1960 whatever i assumed i was watching what was going to be Fringe's i saw the TVs lol.

this show seemed like it could be more gritty more feels like they are holding back in places and letting fingers up butts in other wasn't sure what to expect. but all in all a pretty good it, like follow the stupid style that other shows like walking dead and game of thrones have where it answers your questions in the leaves u with a cliff hanger at the show keeps a steady pace of suspense, drama and i like how in the back of my mind once i realised that it was in the 80s that this show doesn't need future spin offs but rather just shift into the future and have the kids in office or something... they are already dropping hints to the son that its enough to just get into Space which could have room for fan fiction which keeps most shows alive these days.
  • A Beautiful Wall

I like the show but I LOVE the quilt on the wall behind their bed. How can I get a copy of the pattern?
  • What is the Vault?

In the FBI office where Stan Beeman works, there is a room they call "The Vault".

I'm just wondering if anyone knows why it would be called that and what makes it special?

Presumably, it would be sound proof, bullet proof, maybe even lead lined to protect the occupants from X-rays?

We've seen it used in moments of National Security threats - like when the President was shot. In what other circumstances would it be used?

I would think that if a nuclear bomb ever exploded in Washington, there would probably be little point in thinking that room would provide any protection or would still be able to communicate with other government agencies.

But I'm curious to know if anyone here has any opinions as to what other kinds of qualities would be built into that room and when and how the FBI might expect to use it?
  • I am totally in love with this serie

It's kinda freak how much I love Elizabeth and Philip because what they do is not right. But the FBI is no saint either. And I think this is the whole point of it: wanting that the FBI destroy the enemy but not wanting it at the same time! I am a great fan of Matthew Rhys and he's amazing!
  • Long may it wave

I really like this show and have enjoyed every episode so far. Love Rhys -- he was wasted in "Brothers and Sisters," a mush of sentimentality that wasted the talent of wonderful Rachel Griffiths and everyone else involved. I also like Keri Russell. There is a lot to be quarried from this story-- but I can't find out whether there were spies from Russia in real life in the 80s in Washington and all over the US. I understand there was a spy scandal recently, but how accurate is "The Americans?"

In any case, I love it, and would like to see it go on for as long as it can.
  • really good show

In fact, it's my stand-in favorite now that Justified and Walking Dead are on intermission. Kinda like The Sapranos but with Borscht and vodka
< 1 2 3