The Americans

Wednesday 10:00 PM on FX Premiered Jan 30, 2013 Returning January 28th, 2015

dhaworth

The Americans Fan Reviews (70)

• I tried but I can't

I tried a couple of times to watch it. But at episode 5 I gave up. This is so not interesting. The characters are dumb, the plot is boring. I can't see why someone loves it so much.
  • Disappointing

This show should have been great. But unlikable characters and shoddily composed story lines have caused it to fall far short of its promising potential. I love a good anti-hero story, but I simply could not bring myself to root for Elizabeth and Philip. Elizabeth, a supposedly brilliant secret agent, is blinded by her own brainwashed upbringing/training to the point of annoyance. She refuses, for instance, to let her daughter go to church camp because "that's how they get indoctrinate them when they're young"-- does she seriously not pause for a moment to contemplate how old SHE was indoctrinated? Really? The story lines are imbued with a darkness reminiscent of a Breaking Bad or Fargo, but without any of the redeeming qualities that would render the show worth watching.
  • It's fun to be the bad guy sometimes

Much like The Sopranos, I love how this show gets you so close to the characters and their beliefs and how they think that what they are doing is right and just that you realise you're rooting for the people who in real life are the baddies. This takes some very clever writing, great acting and relatable pressures, because otherwise we would see only the values and the poliics, the red army, the evil. Instead we are presented with humans, families, realistic people who have grown up in a harsh war-torn country that needs change, and they think they have found it, they think everything is worth creating this better world.

So when you see these people trying to make the world a better place, it's all too easy to forget the world they want isn't the same as the one we want. It challenges our concepts and values and how we make our decisions. This challenge to our values and which side we are on can help to reinforce how lucky we are and that fighting against communism was the right move at the time.

But ultimately, entertainment and story-teling allows us to imagine and experience events and feelings we would never have in real life, so a show like this is addictive, because sometimes, it's fun to play the "bad
  • Wasted Potential

This shows great premise is completely squandered by the poor, incoherent writing. Somehow they've managed to blow a great love story between two likeable leads within the first several episodes and it continues to devolve into a soapy mess.

This show even manages to make sex uninteresting.

What a shame.
  • A Beautiful Wall

I like the show but I LOVE the quilt on the wall behind their bed. How can I get a copy of the pattern?
  • What is the Vault?

In the FBI office where Stan Beeman works, there is a room they call "The Vault".

I'm just wondering if anyone knows why it would be called that and what makes it special?

Presumably, it would be sound proof, bullet proof, maybe even lead lined to protect the occupants from X-rays?

We've seen it used in moments of National Security threats - like when the President was shot. In what other circumstances would it be used?

I would think that if a nuclear bomb ever exploded in Washington, there would probably be little point in thinking that room would provide any protection or would still be able to communicate with other government agencies.

But I'm curious to know if anyone here has any opinions as to what other kinds of qualities would be built into that room and when and how the FBI might expect to use it?
  • Confusion over who the bad guys really are

I'm upset when I read that supposedly loyal Americans are actually rooting

for the 2 evil enemy agents, Phillip and Elizabeth Jennings. Remember that they

are in this country to serve their Kremlin masters and undermine our way of life. Phillip

killed an FBI agent (Amador) and Elizabeth murdered a neighborhood watch policeman

in cold blood. They threatened the lives of both the maid's son and a warehouse

worker and are using their own children as innocent cover for their nefarious

activities. I realize that this is just tv drama but I hope that, in the end of the

series, Phillip and Elizabeth meet a very unpleasant end.
  • Losing Interest

1.5
    The show is beginning to lose my interest. I'm finding it quite an insult to my intelligence that I'm assaulted with every 8 minutes another sexual situation scene. How many times can we watch a fictionally married couple have sex? Have the writers of the show run out of KGB story lines already? I will discontinue watching the show unless the writers come up with better content for viewing. If I want to watch a couple having sex on the screen, I can log onto the internet at any given time. I was hoping to be entertained in a more intelligent fashion, by way of a witty writer giving me a story of a KGB Agent. .
  • Always the same...

I really enjoy the drama of the show. But I am getting bored, after an entire season and into this one, week after week; every mission the Russians run seems to work out. As for the FBI and the Americans, they're always screwing up. The most pathetic part is, every American citizen is a sell out for sex. Have sex with a guy and he's prepared to commit treason. I wonder how the Russians managed to lose the cold war with so many sex crazed Americans with Top Secret clearances ready to give up secrets for some bedroom action.
  • Classic and Amazing!

Actors acting is nice, i like these kind of classic spy dramas. Its interesting to watch, the dialogues and one of the best. After Homeland, this is what i have been watching!
  • KGB NEVER LOOKED SO GOOD

find myself routing for the KGB, love the show and all the charactors.
  • You should be watching this.

Casting- Acting -Directing - All get an A. Great Show !
  • I am totally in love with this serie

It's kinda freak how much I love Elizabeth and Philip because what they do is not right. But the FBI is no saint either. And I think this is the whole point of it: wanting that the FBI destroy the enemy but not wanting it at the same time! I am a great fan of Matthew Rhys and he's amazing!
  • Good, Old Espionage

When I first heard about The Americans, people were saying that it was FX's Homeland. I immediately gave it a pass, since Showtime's terrorist threat-hunt show gets on my nerves. A few episodes and good reviews later, I decided to give it a try - and I was pleasantly surprised. Not only is the show truly riveting and suspenseful, like a true espionage one should be, but it is a powerful drama as well. The undercover Russian spies lead a very suburban life - nice house, two kids. They are so immersed in the American way of life that the husband starts to have a change of heart: is the "enemy" as bad as they say, after all? Or are the agents from both sides just puppets in their government's hands? The Americans addresses these and other questions well. And the fact that it takes place in the 80s, during the Cold war, it gives a nice, retro touch to the universal story of loyalty and family love - and its complexities. Great acting, soundtrack and opening titles. Highly recommended. My only complaint would be the fact that the Russian spies can have an impeccable American accent even though they were born and raised in Russia. Anyone who knows about language learning is aware that this would be almost impossible. A minor flaw, however.
  • Who's not to like? - Everyone (almost).

I guess all this fascination with this series has a lot to do with being American. Even though I can appreciate the craftsmanship in the writing, directing and acting of it, and even though I appreciate the historical context being woven into the action, I must say that I am quite disappointed about the main characters' "vibes": there is hardly anyone to like (or even to hate, for that matter). The acting is fine, I guess (and I am especially fond of Nina, Stan Beeman and Claudia - but the leads are still somehow dull and robotic, even. - But maybe that's what life as a spy inmidst enemy territory does to you.
  • Great series

I loved this series. I was saddened that we seemed to be a step behind the KGB at all times. I hope that wasn't the case in real life.
  • Great show - story, acting, staging, editing all superlative.

Truly impressed with this show from the authentic early 80s cold war feel and scenery to the high caliber acting top to bottom through the cast. I loved - LOVED - the setting of the pilot to Tusk by Fleetwood Mac and the wrap of the last episode to Games Without Frontiers by Peter Gabriel - that was some serious editing GENIOUS you just don't see on TV very often anymore. Really looking forward to S2.
  • Smooth and slick, a visual feast with a measured rhythmn

Excellent show, enough pace to keep the drama going and just enough work on padding out the characters. The attention to detail within the period is also fantastic. Strong acting throughout and great to watch. Roll on S02!!
  • Watcable

4.5
    Although not a revolotionary plot, it's watchable with good characters. But the sound mixing is nothing but terrible!
  • Spy's have painful sex and men have good Disguise's

Highlight of this show is how well the disguise's work on Matthew Rhys our male lead. He looks like a totally different person every time. There are so many different looks it's amazing.

This show is pretty good once it got past the first two episodes, but at times it still can be slightly hard to follow. You really have to pay attention, this show you will have to sit down to watch and do nothing else; I like that. Things always make since by episode end but a few times I was like "What is happening?" It moves really fast and is exciting during action scenes that look and feel realistic. Dialogue is very well written and intense. One thing that made me rate it a seven is because the sex scenes are horrible and there are too many of them. Every character seems to be in pain during these scenes, thank god they are short. There are few instances where they improperly have 90's references in a show that's supposed to be set in the 80's. I'll continue to watch it, I recommend it hoping they fix some of these issues in season 2.
  • Interesting view

Very nice show, the spy couple are amazing with their doubt and loyalty to their country and family. It is good to be back in the 80's.
  • Never watched this show.

I keep on seeing ads for the americans and paid em no mind, but i didnt realize the show is on FX.

Fx is one of the best networks on tv. It has had the best tv series overall hands down. So i'm gonna have to watch it. The reviews here say its great but i'm not really surprised. This is should be interesting.

Ok I watched a few episodes and this show pretty much continues that trend. I'm hooked, awesome edgy thriller , love the cold war 80's setting , interesting talented and diverse cast, great storytelling. hell its the same old thing. The Americans is excellent and FX is the best network on tv. 10 stars for the americans and fx

rated 10 for FX
  • Not high tech, but still exciting.

Easy to follow, many twists and turns that keeps the excitement and some killer episode endings that keeps you awake at night and counting hours until the next episode will air. Kerri is great! (Wondering why she hasn`t been in more shows. ) Was a little skeptical in watching a show taking place in the 80`s, but I was only positively amazed to see what spy kits they had that time. Will definitely follow this show till the end.
  • As good as TV series get!

Very well done. Old technology spy techniques from the 80s done with good actors with great chemistry. For my money this is on par with The Sopranos. Gripping, you get to know the characters, you get just enough without a lot of extra drama or blubber. Each segment flies leaves you wanting for more. Keep up the good work and bring it back for many seasons to come!
  • Great Series so far s01e09

NO spoilers but this has so far been a fantastic series. Me and Wife are really enjoying this, great to see the turmoils of the cold/revolutionary wars and what tactics had to be done in an era with no smartphones.

Gotta catch up to ep 13 now.
  • love it

Great show. Personally, I like it more than Homeland. Nick Brodie is a douche. Philip and Elizabeth are awesome.
  • Fascinating story and solid acting

Provocative story line which really gets you thinking about war, enemies of the state, and what that means. Excellent performances by Keri and Matthew, who play the married couple in truly remarkable fashion. I love the constant plot twists that you don't see coming.
  • Long may it wave

I really like this show and have enjoyed every episode so far. Love Rhys -- he was wasted in "Brothers and Sisters," a mush of sentimentality that wasted the talent of wonderful Rachel Griffiths and everyone else involved. I also like Keri Russell. There is a lot to be quarried from this story-- but I can't find out whether there were spies from Russia in real life in the 80s in Washington and all over the US. I understand there was a spy scandal recently, but how accurate is "The Americans?"

In any case, I love it, and would like to see it go on for as long as it can.
  • really good show

In fact, it's my stand-in favorite now that Justified and Walking Dead are on intermission. Kinda like The Sapranos but with Borscht and vodka
  • It has turned into a SOAP OPERA

1.5
    I had high hopes after the first few episodes. However, as is increasingly prevalent, writers get lazy and, when they can't think of any REAL plot lines, resort to the simpering, whiney, oh-so-emotional soap opera shit.

Grow up ....... get off your butts ....... write something INTERESTING.

Stop wasting some great actors.
< 1 2 3