The Americans

Wednesday 10:00 PM on FX Premiered Jan 30, 2013 Between Seasons

dhaworth

The Americans Fan Reviews (80)

• Disappointing

This show should have been great. But unlikable characters and shoddily composed story lines have caused it to fall far short of its promising potential. I love a good anti-hero story, but I simply could not bring myself to root for Elizabeth and Philip. Elizabeth, a supposedly brilliant secret agent, is blinded by her own brainwashed upbringing/training to the point of annoyance. She refuses, for instance, to let her daughter go to church camp because "that's how they get indoctrinate them when they're young"-- does she seriously not pause for a moment to contemplate how old SHE was indoctrinated? Really? The story lines are imbued with a darkness reminiscent of a Breaking Bad or Fargo, but without any of the redeeming qualities that would render the show worth watching.
  • this show sucks

nothing to like a bout this show
  • Good Plot - Extremely Poor Taste!

2.5
    I was not aware of this show until fairly recently, as I pay little if any attention to the FX channel. Though I had not seen any of the first two seasons, I decided to try watching season 3. I found that I could pretty much follow the story and plot despite not having seen what preceded it.

But after two episodes I am "turned off' of this show. Graphic explicit simulated(?) sex scenes in one episode, and showing a woman sitting on a toilet bowl urinating in a second episode, are highly repugnant. Whether the producers/directors/writers were trying for "shock value" or they wanted to show how "liberated' they are from having to observe conventional decency is irrelevant. Those scenes displayed an extreme lack of good taste.

This is a shame because the story is intriguing (no pun intended) and the characters both interesting and well written. It would have been enjoyable to continue watching the show. Instead, I will not bother with it any further and will go back to ignoring the FX channel.
  • Wasted Potential

This shows great premise is completely squandered by the poor, incoherent writing. Somehow they've managed to blow a great love story between two likeable leads within the first several episodes and it continues to devolve into a soapy mess.

This show even manages to make sex uninteresting.

What a shame.
  • Confusion over who the bad guys really are

I'm upset when I read that supposedly loyal Americans are actually rooting

for the 2 evil enemy agents, Phillip and Elizabeth Jennings. Remember that they

are in this country to serve their Kremlin masters and undermine our way of life. Phillip

killed an FBI agent (Amador) and Elizabeth murdered a neighborhood watch policeman

in cold blood. They threatened the lives of both the maid's son and a warehouse

worker and are using their own children as innocent cover for their nefarious

activities. I realize that this is just tv drama but I hope that, in the end of the

series, Phillip and Elizabeth meet a very unpleasant end.
  • Divestment

Just watched the tire burning scene on the latest episode. With the two main characters constant killing of people and watching this cruel execution I am finding myself wanting the main characters caught, tried and executed for their violent crimes. This show needs to change it's direction or viewers are going to stage a mass exodus and it will be cancelled. I am very serious here. Hard to like them when they are extremely evil people.
  • Watcable

4.5
    Although not a revolotionary plot, it's watchable with good characters. But the sound mixing is nothing but terrible!
  • Who's not to like? - Everyone (almost).

I guess all this fascination with this series has a lot to do with being American. Even though I can appreciate the craftsmanship in the writing, directing and acting of it, and even though I appreciate the historical context being woven into the action, I must say that I am quite disappointed about the main characters' "vibes": there is hardly anyone to like (or even to hate, for that matter). The acting is fine, I guess (and I am especially fond of Nina, Stan Beeman and Claudia - but the leads are still somehow dull and robotic, even. - But maybe that's what life as a spy inmidst enemy territory does to you.
  • I tried but I can't

I tried a couple of times to watch it. But at episode 5 I gave up. This is so not interesting. The characters are dumb, the plot is boring. I can't see why someone loves it so much.
  • too slow moving

3.5
    I was a real fan of the Americans, but season 3 is just too slow moving. Everythiing so far should have been in just 3 episodes. The show has gotten away from spying and into endless unrelated diversions which die of their own weight. The whole South African saga was a waste of time and not connected with the main focus of FBI vs. KGB. Phililips' fake affair with the teenager is pathettic and not appropriate. The killing of the old lady in the computer repair shop was unbearable and cruel.

Boring sessions with Gabriel seem to be a part of each episode I can't believe he is the model of a KGB controller, assigned to the US.. In those days, it would more likely be some tough guy who looks like Ivan Konev or Georgi Zhukov or Vladimir Putin. How come Gabriel never seems to interfact with the KGB Rizidentura or Arkady or Oleg who are more believable. The only saving grace of this show is Paige (Holly Taylor) who will really be a star and Annet Mahendra (Nina) who is also terrific and the guy who plays Arkady and Oleg. . .Finally, it is incredible showing the FBI so incompetent that they are not staking out Martha's home to see who goes there (Philliip) There is no real story to season 3, it is just a collection of reactions. I wish Stan (Agent Beeman) had more of a love interest in TORI, she is HOT and she had her own TV show about a sports psychologist.
  • I give up on this

The show has way too many characters to have a big impact. There are countless FBI, Russian, whatever spies now that I have to get a pen and paper to keep track. No good or bad guys, am I suppose to root for Russia or USA. This show has probably got good reviews due to being off the beaten path. The most overrated show on TV.

FX- you killed off " The Bridge" and let this garbage go on! How bad is that.
  • what is wrong with this show?

2.5
    I've tried to like this show, but there is something not right about it. I thought after three episodes I should have been hooked - I wanted to be hooked, but I found myself trying too hard to make it work. Something disingenuous about it, can't put my finger on it. Production value is good, direction is good, acting isn't bad, it's when you assemble the whole package, just doesn't work.
  • Writer's need a pill!

I really like the show and have been watching since day one. Sometimes the writing is too obvious when you know whats going to happen ahead of time when Keri and Matt's character are taken and beating up in a basement. Seen that a mile away! Besides thinking about that time when all clandestine Russians must have rank, so when Keri beats up her boss, its like a captain beating up a colonel or major and that just does not go away.

My wife watches too and her only problem is why the FBI guy who may be a great character, but is really ugly for him to have a young gorgeous wife and in the last episode fools around with the beautiful Russian. C'mon, he doesn't have the looks, personality or NOTHING!!. My wife says if she was the Russian, with not only fooling around with her old boss and now the FBI guy, she is definitely better in the GULAG!

• It has turned into a SOAP OPERA

1.5
    I had high hopes after the first few episodes. However, as is increasingly prevalent, writers get lazy and, when they can't think of any REAL plot lines, resort to the simpering, whiney, oh-so-emotional soap opera shit.

Grow up ....... get off your butts ....... write something INTERESTING.

Stop wasting some great actors.
  • Classic and Amazing!

Actors acting is nice, i like these kind of classic spy dramas. Its interesting to watch, the dialogues and one of the best. After Homeland, this is what i have been watching!
  • SEXY AND KILLER!

I expected more from this show but it's still sometimes awesome.

• what year was this again?

i didn't pay attention to the intro so i didn't see that it started in the 80s and i never caught on, so when the went back to 1960 whatever i assumed i was watching what was going to be Fringe's i saw the TVs lol.

this show seemed like it could be more gritty more feels like they are holding back in places and letting fingers up butts in other wasn't sure what to expect. but all in all a pretty good it, like follow the stupid style that other shows like walking dead and game of thrones have where it answers your questions in the leaves u with a cliff hanger at the show keeps a steady pace of suspense, drama and i like how in the back of my mind once i realised that it was in the 80s that this show doesn't need future spin offs but rather just shift into the future and have the kids in office or something... they are already dropping hints to the son that its enough to just get into Space which could have room for fan fiction which keeps most shows alive these days.
  • Never watched this show.

I keep on seeing ads for the americans and paid em no mind, but i didnt realize the show is on FX.

Fx is one of the best networks on tv. It has had the best tv series overall hands down. So i'm gonna have to watch it. The reviews here say its great but i'm not really surprised. This is should be interesting.

Ok I watched a few episodes and this show pretty much continues that trend. I'm hooked, awesome edgy thriller , love the cold war 80's setting , interesting talented and diverse cast, great storytelling. hell its the same old thing. The Americans is excellent and FX is the best network on tv. 10 stars for the americans and fx

rated 10 for FX
  • Their relationship.

"Phillip" and "Elizabeth" complicated relationship is what I find so interesting, Elizabeth finally feels passion for Phillip but after he sleeps with his old girl friend and lies to her about it, and finds out, she just cuts him off, I hope they get back together.
  • Losing Interest

1.5
    The show is beginning to lose my interest. I'm finding it quite an insult to my intelligence that I'm assaulted with every 8 minutes another sexual situation scene. How many times can we watch a fictionally married couple have sex? Have the writers of the show run out of KGB story lines already? I will discontinue watching the show unless the writers come up with better content for viewing. If I want to watch a couple having sex on the screen, I can log onto the internet at any given time. I was hoping to be entertained in a more intelligent fashion, by way of a witty writer giving me a story of a KGB Agent. .
  • Great series

I loved this series. I was saddened that we seemed to be a step behind the KGB at all times. I hope that wasn't the case in real life.
  • Not high tech, but still exciting.

Easy to follow, many twists and turns that keeps the excitement and some killer episode endings that keeps you awake at night and counting hours until the next episode will air. Kerri is great! (Wondering why she hasn`t been in more shows. ) Was a little skeptical in watching a show taking place in the 80`s, but I was only positively amazed to see what spy kits they had that time. Will definitely follow this show till the end.
  • Downhill?

I really liked the pilot for this show. But since then it has gone downhill. It has become (to me) very boring and dull. Am i missing something when I fall asleep?
  • Spy's have painful sex and men have good Disguise's

Highlight of this show is how well the disguise's work on Matthew Rhys our male lead. He looks like a totally different person every time. There are so many different looks it's amazing.

This show is pretty good once it got past the first two episodes, but at times it still can be slightly hard to follow. You really have to pay attention, this show you will have to sit down to watch and do nothing else; I like that. Things always make since by episode end but a few times I was like "What is happening?" It moves really fast and is exciting during action scenes that look and feel realistic. Dialogue is very well written and intense. One thing that made me rate it a seven is because the sex scenes are horrible and there are too many of them. Every character seems to be in pain during these scenes, thank god they are short. There are few instances where they improperly have 90's references in a show that's supposed to be set in the 80's. I'll continue to watch it, I recommend it hoping they fix some of these issues in season 2.
  • Don't look it up on IMDB unless you like spoilers.

It tells you how many episodes each actor is in, and from that you can deduce how long each character survives in the world of The Americans.

I'd be really happy if someone wrote a long thoughtful review for comment.
  • love the actress

who was in house. I hope this turns out to be a good show.
  • This is a great quality show

I just came on to take the trouble to say this is a a great show. Intelligent and realistic. Kudos to the writers and all involved. Dont screw this one up and make sure there will be more seasons. Notwithstanding some valid points made by Howard Berger below in comments. Still a great show.
  • Margo Martindale(Claudia) never got clobbered like that.....

in her role as Mags in Justified Elizabeth would have been swallowing some of Mags elixir in a hurry had she tried such a thing over there.

Best TV show in forever.

• Long may it wave

I really like this show and have enjoyed every episode so far. Love Rhys -- he was wasted in "Brothers and Sisters," a mush of sentimentality that wasted the talent of wonderful Rachel Griffiths and everyone else involved. I also like Keri Russell. There is a lot to be quarried from this story-- but I can't find out whether there were spies from Russia in real life in the 80s in Washington and all over the US. I understand there was a spy scandal recently, but how accurate is "The Americans?"

In any case, I love it, and would like to see it go on for as long as it can.
  • Fascinating story and solid acting

Provocative story line which really gets you thinking about war, enemies of the state, and what that means. Excellent performances by Keri and Matthew, who play the married couple in truly remarkable fashion. I love the constant plot twists that you don't see coming.
< 1 2 3