The Americans

Tuesday 10:00 PM on FX Premiered Jan 30, 2013 Returning 2018

dhaworth

The Americans Fan Reviews (86)

• Good Plot - Extremely Poor Taste!

2.5
    I was not aware of this show until fairly recently, as I pay little if any attention to the FX channel. Though I had not seen any of the first two seasons, I decided to try watching season 3. I found that I could pretty much follow the story and plot despite not having seen what preceded it.

But after two episodes I am "turned off' of this show. Graphic explicit simulated(?) sex scenes in one episode, and showing a woman sitting on a toilet bowl urinating in a second episode, are highly repugnant. Whether the producers/directors/writers were trying for "shock value" or they wanted to show how "liberated' they are from having to observe conventional decency is irrelevant. Those scenes displayed an extreme lack of good taste.

This is a shame because the story is intriguing (no pun intended) and the characters both interesting and well written. It would have been enjoyable to continue watching the show. Instead, I will not bother with it any further and will go back to ignoring the FX channel.