The Andy Griffith Show

Andy's Trip to Raleigh

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Oct 02, 1967 on CBS

• Andy and the Female Lawyer

Andy\'s sunburn is a sight to see! It\'s a hysterical episode where Andy inadvertedly gets caught in his own lie. I loved seeing the ethical Andy try to keep the peace at all costs with Helen. Andy is supposed to go to a dance with Helen but has to go to Raleigh to give a deposition to a lawyer. Turns out the lawyer in question is a beautiful blonde with a swimming pool. Andy acquires a blazing red sunburn while trying to get his work done. Trying to explain away his sunburn to Howard and Helen while not revealing that the lawyer in Raleigh is a woman is a wonderful knot of complications. All ends well of course, with Helen giving Andy a taste of his own medicine.
  • The Best Episode of the Final Season

Sure season 8 is a far cry and a million miles away from what this series was at it's zenith (somewhere around season four). Somehow Goober, Howard, and Emmitt just don't hold a candle to Floyd, Otis, Gomer and of course Barney. Maybe it's because they're in color. But "Andy's Trip to Raleigh" is my favorite season eight episode. It's funny, cleverly written, and unlike most of the final season it focuses on the namesake of the show, Andy. Certainly the way Andy acts, lying to Helen, is more like something Barney would do, but in Barney's absence it's nice to have some solid comedy. I particularly enjoy seeing Andy's ridiculous sunburn and hey, couldn't have seen that in black and white!