The Andy Griffith Show

Bargain Day

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Mar 23, 1964 on CBS

• Aunt Bea, CALL THE MAN! And stop being a ninny!

7.8
    Despite a plot centered on a caricaturish Bea, I give this episode a C+ for a generally comfortable feel and a (mostly) sensible, well-written plot with an actual solution. Along the ride, we have an appearance by Gomer, some memorable lines ("call the man!;" "It's anti-freeze or sump'm!" / "It's tear gas!;" "150 pounds of TOUGH beef!;" "Aw, it's nothing; just Aunt Bea and Opie pulling a wagon being followed by a bunch of dogs...I'll call ya back!!"), and what I think is our only look at the Taylor's back porch with outside freezer. What is most fascinating for me here however, is Bea, with her "reasoning" and behavior.

Aunt Bea was generally portrayed as a sometimes-naive but basically very dignified Older Woman of an Older Time. Exceptions to this were usually pretty glaring, and together make up what I call the "Ninny-fication of Aunt Bea," a process that reached it's peak (or low point) in the color Chinese restaurant episode. In "Bargain Day," Bea Taylor, otherwise a master of home economics, inexplicably gets the idea that bargain-priced food from an unknown source simply MUST BE of higher quality than full-priced food from a long-time known source. She goes on to reason that Andy MUST SHARE that notion; and that Andy MUST KNOW that she has purchased bargain meat; and thus that Andy SHOULD FIND that meat better than any before; and thus finally that when Andy comments that he finds the meat to be less than stellar, he MUST BE only saying that to deliberately insult and hurt her. That utter illogic, leading to her self-pitying response/eruption toward Andy ("Don't eat it if you don't want it! ...Throw it out!") seems to me to be that of a certified Ninny. Bea's Redemption was still to come.
WZME