The Andy Griffith Show

Cyrano Andy

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Mar 06, 1961 on CBS

• Andy plays Cyrano to help Barney get the girl, but Thelma Lou decides to power up the jealousy card....

I love this episode for so many reasons. For one, it's the first episode for Thelma Lou - one of the more attractive Mayberry ladies, and two, it's probably the first of the episodes with "behind-the-scenes" shenanigans to help out the characters rather than tease each other, an endearing trait that plays so often through the series. My favorite part, though, is watching Ellie, my favorite Mayberry looker, getting to sex it up and come on to Barney. When she warms up to Barney, she warms me up too! Ellie has always been at the top of my list of female others for Andy, the other being Nurse Peggy. I just never cared much for Helen; I just fear what happened to Opie once Helen stuck her claws into Andy.
  • The eternal Quadrant!

The character of Thelma Lou is introduced in this episode, and the chemistry is an immediate fit. Barney's eyeball action in the epilogue is a PURE FIFE moment. This is a very sweet and charming with Andy being smoother than silk. When Barney thinks Andy is going after his girl, and he decides to woo Ellie--another Barney moment emerges--and becomes an instant classic! A very special episode where we truly get to see the characters of Andy and Barney begin to be truly defined.
WZME