The Andy Griffith Show

Dogs, Dogs, Dogs

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Apr 22, 1963 on CBS

6.3
  • A Beloved Classic

It's not uncommon in small towns, especially ones without enforced leash laws, for a dog or two to find its way to a new home, and even for that dog to bring a few friends. That's the idea behind this beloved classic, as the frantic efforts to resolve the problem in a hurry are funny, but the spirit behind those efforts--no one really wants to turn their back on the poor critters--is part of what makes this series so special. Although the plot is Opie-centric--and Ron Howard does a wonderful job as a little boy with a big heart--it's Don Knotts who steals the show, making the scene where he loads all the dogs into the squad car look so easy. And his dialogue is among the series' best--search out the unedited version on the DVD and listen to Barney's classic speech about dogs looking out for their own vs. giraffes. Also listen to Barney quote Shakespeare (!), another classic exchange. (Note: the TV Land version has some of the most beloved dialogue cut out for time reasons, search out the DVD version for the unedited, classic version.)
  • An Animal Lover's Delight

This one had so many elements of humor. I quote so many lines from it. Giraffes and their selfishness, the quality of mercy, it might work. When Barney is talking about the dogs being alright, he is both sweet and touching. I also learned what a Sam Brown belt is.

It is both funny and meaningful. I love it when Barney says he is driving, and we're proud of em. It shows how animals can be a problem, but can also bring out our protectiveness. Andy, Barney, Opie, and Otis all play a part in the mess of trying to figure out what to do. I don't care what anyone says, I love this.
  • This one goes to the dogs!

I don't really understand what was the point of this episode. I tried to follow the plot line but it lost me there somewhere in the middle. The resolution was weak and ineffectual. It felt as if someone had a really funny idea--but it got lost in translation. You'll have to see for yourself--but I cannot for the life of me figure out what was the point of it all :(