Why Did Andy Change in the Later Seasons?

Missynotprissy

[1]May 17, 2006
    • level: 2
    Even though Barney was normally the scene stealer, Andy was also very funny in the early years always picking at Barney, etc. However, the last couple of years, he rarely smiled and became very serious. Anyone know why?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

knock7785

[2]May 17, 2006
    • level: 11
    It is my understanding from what I have read that Andy Griffith had decided that his time on the show was coming to a close so the scripts were written that explored the other characters more and placed Andy in more of a straight-man role. The first season or so Andy had all the Southern charm and witticisms which were further diluted as the show progressed. (Please don't get me wrong- this is one of my favorite shows, even the color episodes!)

tornadochaser

[3]May 25, 2006
    • level: 4
    Yes and in addition to that, the friction between Andy and Francis Bavier (Aunt Bee) continued to grow. Combine this with a loss of Barney's contagious hilarity thatĀ helps to offset Andy's troublesĀ and it becomes more and more difficult for Andy not to get irritable.
    Edited on 05/25/2006 12:29pm

McLarenDude1

[4]Aug 27, 2007
    • level: 6
    I noticed

tvking1

[5]Aug 27, 2007
    • level: 42

I have always noticed this myself, and was going to start a thread on this same subject.

All the reasons submitted here are probably relevant, and in addition I've always suspected that Helen had something to do with it. Andy seemed a little more serious around women, and this became more noticable when she came along, and especially as their relationship grew. To be honest, I didn't really like her. She was too serious herself, at least at first, though in the later episodes she seemed to fit in better, even as Andy seemed to grow more apart.

I started a similar thread on the Gomer Pyle guide about Sgt. Carter, whose situation seemed to be the opposite of Andy's.

revbucky

[6]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 22
    Yes, you can definitely see a change over the years. I like the early Andy best.

millerem99

[7]Jul 24, 2008
    • level: 51
    It's bizarre to contrast the later seasons Andy to the first. In Season One, he's portrayed as much more backwoods, often leaping to false conclusions, buffoonish, even a simpleton at times. In the last season, he's refined, subdued, and charming. TV Land went from playing the last season's episodes tonight to the first, and it's uncanny. Characters naturally evolve in a series, but he actually took on a whole new personality!

shouge2

[8]Aug 8, 2009
    • level: 1
    Barney definitely had a huge influence on Andy's early characterizations as Barney turned in the comic with his wacky motions and Andy had a natural feel for the straight man and helping Barney with his fragile self esteem - which was the main theme to many of the first 5 seasons.

EvilHelen

[9]Mar 17, 2010

It was jealousy. When Don Knotts was offered movie roles, Andy Griffith complained at the time that all hehad wasthis show. In the later years, it looks like he's just going through the motions, and his heart wasn't in it any more.

vidking

[11]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 5

In the first episodes in season one Andy played a southern buffone like character ( something like his chacthor in "No Time for Sergents")and him and Barney were cousins. Later on they made no mention of them being cousins anymore and changed his chacthor.

(typo) spelling.

AlbertGiesbrech

[12]Jan 28, 2012

One too many trips to Raleigh to meet with lady lawyers I reckon.

Edited on 01/28/2012 3:58am

archangelwho

[13]Jul 6, 2012
    • level: 19

A rarity at the time when actors was not even paid for reruns Andy Griffith, an undone actor to most and one who was getting his first TV show, demanded and got part owner of the show. When time came that he wanted to do other things he wanted to keep the show going. There was a lot of events going on at the time and some has been covered here. Alnon with them Grffith was not thinking as a star leaving a show, he was thinking as a producer losing his star.I believed that they should had ended Griffith's run with him being killed in the line of duty. They could have then have Sheriff Taylor regenerate allowing them to use another actor.