Wrong information on one program

GaryRemm

[1]Apr 17, 2007
    • level: 1

In the episode where Andy has to evict one of the old residents because he did not pay any taxes on his house.

Andy Clyde the character, says he received a old article that was from the 1906 Worlds fair in St. Louis.  Trouble is, St. Louis held the Worlds Fair in 1904.

Gary

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Robbbber

[2]Apr 24, 2007
    • level: 1
    If this is the episode I think it is, where the old man suddenly discovers that he owns investment bonds that his relatives bought back in 1861, and Mayberry finds itself in financial difficulty to honor those bonds at this time, the conclusion was that since the bonds were purchased in Civil War times bought with Confederate money, Mayberry didn't actually owe the old man anything since Confederate money was of no value nowadays.  Although, in one sense that may be seen as true, the fact that Mayberry itself was a part of the Confederacy and recognized Confederate money as the currency of the time, Mayberry actually should owe him full reimbursement for the value of the city bonds his family bought decades earlier and the value of the Confederate money could actually be converted into current U.S. dollars and brought up to the current value from 1861.  The fact that the Union may have dictated that Confederate money was of no value does not alleviate the honorable responsibility of the town fathers to honor the old man's 1861 city bonds, and reimbursed him IN FULL, and he could've bought those little things he found in the catalogs that would make his home more comfortable.  Those Mayberry town Fathers should be ashamed of themselves, especially the Mayor, for weasling out of the honorable responsibililty.  I hope I am recalling the same episode you are, and if not, that  you can remember the one I'm talking about.  Robbbber.

TurtleRB

[3]May 21, 2009
    • level: 5

I'll trust that OP GaryRemm was right about the St. Louis World's Fair. I wanted to chime in on Robbbber's comments about repayment. Sorry for arriving 2 years late to the party.

If Frank Myers (and check that name against crew credits at the end of b/w eps) held a city bond, then the currency in which it was bought makes no difference. Sorry, Mayor Pike. The bond was bought with Confederate money, but it wasn't a bond on the Confederate States of America-- it was a bond on your town. It was an investment in any future value of your town, Mayor, and so long as the town operates, it is obligated to value those investments and their good faith and to repay them, unless the town has declared bankruptcy, which was not the excuse offered. Whatever Mayberry did with Granddaddy Myers' money back in 1861 presumably contributed to the town's value: sawmills and bridges built or land bought with Confederate money still contribute value in 1962 (unless such were destroyed by Yankees, or otherwise lost, but then that should be reported in a town financial statement, and ultimately declared in a bankruptcy defense against Frank Myers' legitimate massive lawsuit).

By Mayor Pike's reasoning, if a person bought United States bonds in 1922 using only cash in the form of $2 bills, then the present U.S. government is not obliged to honor those bonds because the U.S. does not presently issue $2 bills. There's a reason that physical money is called "currency" -- "efectivo" in Spanish-- because it is just a "current" or "effective" representation of true wealth. Bonds supposedly are wealth. Granddaddy Myers bought "wealth" in Mayberry, and the "current, effective" way of expressing that wealth shouldn't matter.