The Andy Griffith Show

Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.

Aired Monday 9:30 PM May 18, 1964 on CBS

• Great Episode

I suppose I'm a bit biased, since Gomer Pyle USMC is also one of my favorite shows, but this episode is just another example of what has made the Andy Griffith show such a shining star for all of these years, and a great springboard to introduce us to the spinoff series.

Gomer is endearing as he sings the Marine Hymn... "from the halls of Montezumer..." and innocent as always when his barracksmates play their prank on him.

Sargeant Carter is just beginning to fill his own shoes, as he is much tamer in this initial episode than you'll see him as the series Gomer Pyle USMC progresses. This is the first time you get to see Carter up in Gomer's face using his soon to be trademark "MOVE IT, MOVE IT, MOVE IT".
  • Gomer joins the Marines!

A very funny entry into the series, with Gomer butting heads (even if he doesn't know he is) with just about everyone in the marines. Andy go along and uses his Mayberry wisdom to figure out a way to get Gomer the help he needs. A fine entry into the Gomer Pyle series, and a nice way to write him out of the series.
WZME