The Andy Griffith Show

Mr. McBeevee

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Oct 01, 1962 on CBS

• Andy tries to see if Opie's friend is really real.

Watching this episode last night on TV land marathion reminded me why this is such an awesome great episode and one of my very favorite eps. Andy thinks Opie's new friend Mr. McBevee is imangiary because of Opie's play horse. Then Andy wants to know where Opie is getting the gifts from. He struggles wanting to believe his good son. The scene when he says he believes in his son is awesome, as when he meets Mr. McBeevee. This is an awesome ep in the relationsip of father and son, Opie and Andy.
    Bravo.
    Btw, Mr. McBeevee, Karl Swenson, played Mr. Hanson on LHOTP.
  • No one believes Opie

This is a quiet little episode that deals with a universal growing up situation--when children tell stories. Of course, Opie isn't telling stories, he just is describing the man as he sees him in his 7 year old head. The poignant scene when Opie asks his dad "don't you believe me Pa?" and Andy answers after a long pause I believe you", speaks to a child's need to be understood and respected. This episode is an important one in that the moral of the story touches upon the parent/child relationship, and it delivers a quiet but impactful punch.