The Andy Griffith Show

Opie and the Spoiled Kid

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Feb 18, 1963 on CBS

7.9
  • One of my favorite episodes!

I still remember watching this with my Mom when it first aired. I was just a kid, but I remember Mom LOVED the way Andy handled Opie's tantrums because she totally agreed with Andy's laid-back parenting style. There were 8 of us, so Mom HAD to remain calm with all those kids -- and she often mimicked Andy's cool, calm demeanor whenever any of us got excited about something, or if we misbehaved. In viewing this episode as an adult, I also LOVE watching how Andy maintains his parental authority without resorting to yelling. It shows his absolute confidence as a parent. I think parents today could learn a lesson or two from Andy. I also love the conclusion -- Opie's apology shows his respect and love for his "Paw", and he also learns a valuable lesson on how NOT to behave in order to get his own way. I love this episode!! One of the best!!
  • Opie Misbehaves!

This is an O.K. episode where we see Opie struggle with some basic value issues. His friend Arnold is a spoiled rich kid who tries to convince Opie that parents are supposed to give you an allowance--you don't have to work for it. He also shows Opie how to throw fits, cry and stomp his feet if he doesn't get his way . The trouble is that we know Opie far too well by this point and that it is completely out of character for him. The writing is a little poor in this episode, and the plot lines just don't add that typical Andy Griffith punch. Still watchable--but a little forgettable.