The Andy Griffith Show

Opie's Charity

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Nov 28, 1960 on CBS

• Opie teaches us all about Charity.

This episode stands out as being very, very special. The message and the dialogue remains outstanding, even after all these years. Opie's "Poor Horatio," conversation with Andy is so memorable. Half a boy indeed. We learn that Opie is more than just one boy with his charitable heart. Andy appropriately does an about-face after learning of Opie's plan to save enough money to buy Charlotte a coat. Andy tells Opie and Aunt Bee that he'll be having crow for dinner. The episode is well scripted and the story is a timeless tell of moral behavior. I rank it as one of the finest of the series.
  • Opie Teaches Andy About True Charity!

This is what makes Mayberry Mayberry! An extremely well written episode, with a hysterical subplot of a husband returning from "the dead" which actually fits in with the morale of the story. Aunt Bee's speech to Andy re Opie is brilliant and not to be missed. This is a very touching and sweet episode, that drives home the message that sometimes we all get caught up in "image" rather than substance.