The Andy Griffith Show

Opie the Birdman

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Sep 30, 1963 on CBS

One of the quintessential episodes that perfectly melds humor, drama and warmth. Barney's "bird talk" scene is priceless and the final exchange between Opie and Andy is one of the best ever written for the small screen. If you're not reaching for a Kleenex at the conclusion, check your heartbeat. A must see for any budding Andy Griffith Show fans....and an all time favorite of Andy veterans. Along with Man In A Hurry, this episode manages to wrap up all of the qualities that have made this show legendary. The sterotypical "I laughed, I cried," but it rings true in this case.
  • THE BEST EVER!!!

THE BEST EVER!!! T. V. needs more programs like this. But alas, we do not have writers and produces today that can do this type of programs.
    I use this program in my church for adults. None could be better.
    Please do\'t ever colorize this original program.

Thanks for the chance of reviewing this once =in= a lifetime production.
  • The meaning of life

This is of course the most dramatic and emotional episode of the entire series. Watching Opie pick up the dead bird that he hit with his sling shot is a heart-tugging moment. It is the moment when Opie realizes that his actions have consequences. A moment we can all relate to. A moment that defines for us life and death. Ron Howard's acting in this is dead on--and one of the reasons why he was such a star. Andy and Barney are superb in the support of this young star--particularly Barney who acts much like Doctor Dolittle in one particular scene, as he explains how birds talk (!) A not to be missed episode.
WZME