The Andy Griffith Show

Opie's Drugstore Job

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Jan 15, 1968 on CBS

7.7
  • Opie grows up!

I like this episode for several reasons. Primarily because we see Opie grapple with the truth and its consequences in a very real way. Opie is tempted to cheat his way out of his accident but ultimately comes clean. Another reason I love this episdoe is watching Andy puff up with pride at his son's growth and maturity. Andy doesn't always play the proud papa, but when he does, it's quite touching. I also like the way the drug store owner comes to Andy and inquires whether or not Andy feels Opie is mature enough to handle the responsibilty of this job. We see Opie in several training situations and his ability to be "grown up" is quite touching--particularly for long time viewers of the show--it's as though we are proud of Opie ourselves, as if he is a real person we have watched grow up. I was reminded of an episode early in the series when Opie was quite young and he got a job delivering groceries--and I couldn't help but think, oh, my little Opie is almost a man. How silly is that--but if you love this show, you'll love watching Opie the young man in this episode!
WZME