The Andy Griffith Show

Rafe Hollister Sings

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Feb 11, 1963 on CBS

7.6
  • Hillbilly Rafe Hollister sings his heart out and shows the townspeople of Mayberry that you can\'t judge a book by looking at it\'s cover.

You know, the Andy Griffith Show continually showed us the reality that television can deliver a moral messsage while mixing unforgettable comedy.
    In "Rafe Hollister Sings", we meet Rafe, a backwoods hillbilly who just so happens to have been blessed with a beautiful voice. Rafe reveals that beautiful voice at an audition for someone to represent Mayberry at the Ladies Musicale. Rafe beats out Barney and other "try-outers" to capture top honors. However, the ladies over the musicale wish to "clean" Rafe up to make him presentable and wish that he not speak to others at the musicale due to his "un-sophisticated" demeanor.
    The two things that stand out to me in this episode is the fact that Barney suffered a major blow of humility without blowing his top like he usually does. And I also loved the fact that Rafe and Andy decided that Rafe, in his regular clothes and his regular demeanor, was what the people should see. Needless to say, Rafe was a hit among the ladies. The mayor and the two "proper" ladies were taught the age old lesson that you can't judge a book by looking at it's cover.
    What a great episode and a true testimant to the values and goals of the Andy Griffith Show.