The Andy Griffith Show

CBS (ended 1968)

EarlyMemphis

The Andy Griffith Show Fan Reviews (44)

• A Great Show!

Andy Griffith, Don Knotts, and Ronny Howard were great in this show. It is a comedy that shows the relationship a father and a son can have. As well as the relationship of friends. Andy Taylor is the sherriff of Mayberry and Barney Fife is his funny deputy. Andy is a single parent to a little boy named Opie. Andys aunt helps take care of them and is sweet woman. On the show she is called "Aint B" Overall a fun, family series that will make you laugh.
  • andy griffith show

great comedy ron howard don notts great show
  • A show that stands the test of time

Of all the 1960's siticoms The Andy griffth show is by far my favourite but this needs to qualified. As with most sitcoms it often takes time for a show to cut its teeth so to speak and this show was no exception. In Season one Andy plays the Sherrif as a a very smart good old boy with a southern drawl and some of the episodes come accross as a little hokey. However by season 2 to season 5 until Don Knotts leaves the show, you have one of the most funny intelligent sitcoms ever on TV. The chemistry between Knotts and Griffth is exceptional and Ron Howard proved he is one of the best child actors ever. Unfortunatley by season 6 when the show goes to color and Knotts has left the show goes down hill. One of the simplest explanations other than the absence of Knots is the show is longer funny. The writing in my opinion deterioted considerably. Also the characters of Gober and Howard come accross as dull and unfunny. However for about 120 episodes (season 2 to 5) you have one of the funniest sitcoms ever.
  • a instant classic that still stands the test of time .

andy griffith show is a classic tv show and they still play reruns of the show today. it took place in mayberry. and he was a cherriff . it had a lot of comedy in it and sad moments and there was always lessions to be learned after all it did come out when tv was all about the happey moments . there was tons of good eps . i did not grow up watching the show since it came out in the 60s but i do have all the boxsets and have watched lots of reruns on tv land. and apriate how a good a show it was and still is today.
  • To the Andy Griffeth Show is a classic that stands the test of time.

The Andy Griffeth Show is one of the most loved tv shows there are. While the color episodes might not have been as good, they were still good. The absolute best episodes have to be the first episodes when Opie was tiny and Andy was more of a hick like in his movie No Time for Seargents. These were the best episodes of the series, with the best episode being Opie's Charity. If you haven't heard of this show then you must have been living an a cave all your life. This is a true classic that will hopefully be remembered till the end of time.
  • This TV show had loads of talent, great writers and directors.

This show didn't depend on jokes or wisecracks for laughs, it was natural eveyday southern situations
    with a cast of characters that were just fun to be around.

In Mayberry, they were themselves, the way aunts, uncles and cousins might really be around each other. Where small things were important, going to a movie, a fair, or the diner was the highlight of a day or evening.

Andy was the Sheriff, as you know he had no gun, except when he needed one. Barney being the opposite, the one that took everything very serious sometimes. He may have been a kluts, but he was not stupid.

Mayberry had common sense people, no rockit scientists here, Howard and Helen probably being the smartist, only Howard would flaunt it on occasion.

Only one Barber in town. Floyd took pride in his haircuts. And probably only one Gas Station, Gomer and then later cousin Goober were the friendly Gas Station attendants. They'd give you the shirt off their backs. The best small town comedy on Amercan TV.
  • The life and times of a small-town sheriff and his family, his cooky deputy, and a colorful town populace.

The definitive family show! Plenty of morals and loads of laughs stuffed into one unforgettable half-hour show. Andy proves his worth as the leading man, and works as an ideal straightman to the rest of the cast. Of course, 95% of the classic material is derived from Don Knotts as Barney Fife. Knotts made the show delightful. The show is also very addictive, and is fun to watch at any time. It is family entertainment that may age, but will never be forgotten. The life lessons will apply to all people of all generations. Don't miss this loveable classic program.
  • Andy and Opie are forced to live the single life while Aunt Bee is out of town. However, a local beauty (played by Joanna Moore) comes to their rescue and cooks for the two. Floyd believes she's aiming to be the new Mrs. Andy Taylor!

In my opinion, Joanna Moore's character is far more interesting than Helen Crump ever was. She seems a lot stronger and sings great. Andy made a mistake letting this one go.

With Floyd teasing Andy about a wedding trap being set for him (Barney is out of town. If he'd been there he'd have been doing everything in his power to get these two kids together!), there is a certain fear and that Andy is going to be turn on Moore's character and accuse her of trying to get him to marry her. The tension as we wait for this scene to come is undeniable. Instead its a relief when Andy does not confront her and instead decides to just enjoy. Perhaps he learned from all those embarrassing relationship scenes he had with Ellie. Unfortunately Moore did not return as the series wasn't quite ready to give Andy a regular gal pal.
  • The andy griffith show seasons 6-8 wheres my laughter.

Well season 6 starts out with a dud.I just watched seasons 1-5 laughed myself to tears many times.
    I barely get a chuckle out of seasons 6-8 except for the don knotts episodes this show probally should have been called the don knotts show with andy griffith the first five years maybe if jerry van dyke would have came on instead of warren who is not funny at all in fact if not for floyd and gober theres not really any funny left at all.The show just lost its charm and humor after don knotts left i dont think changing to color hurt it.Some shows play better in black and white in my opinion dark shadows for one.
  • One of the best of all time

Who can say enough good things about the Andy Griffith Show? It is simply one of the best shows ever on TV. Everything from the actors and writers down to the sets and costumes. But most of you already know that. I personally love the stories and down home atmosphere of the show. Mayberry in the 1950s and 60s is a place many of us would like to visit (if not live). It is a place there people genuinely cared about each other and there was a true sense of right and wrong. We live in a different world today, so it's refreshing to visit a world where we can take off our shoes and here some good stories, laugh, and even cry together.

Next time you're down, visit Andy and the gang. They'll lift you up!
  • This is a true classic.

I grew up on this show. One of the classics that I always love to watch whenever it comes on. Good, clean humor that you can't find in many of the more modern television shows that come on now. Every episode makes me laugh, especially Barney Fife because he reminds me of some people that I know. This show is kind of like my comfort show, when I get sick or anything I watch the Andy Griffith Show, and it makes me feel better, because it reminds me of when I was younger and we would all sit in the living room and watch the show. I love this show. :)
  • Great family comedy on the same level as The Brady Bunch. Show strenghs include great supporting and memorable characters, the black-and-white aspect of the show giving it a classic feel, and the theme of family values prevalent throughout the show.

I must admit that when flipping the channels, I didn't stop long on the channel showing repeats of The Andy Griffith Show because something about it told me that it was a boring show. I usually enjoy comedies where the laughs keep on coming almost non-stop, such as All in the Family. For some reason, I thought that The Andy Griffith Show fell in the category of dramedy, as some episodes had a serious tone to them. That didn't appeal to me in a comedy. Then one day in year 2007, I suddenly got hooked to this show to the point where it has become almost addictive. I can't remember how I got hooked; perhaps I was watching another show that lead into it, I left the television on while doing something else, and began to laugh at Barney's antics. From then on, I kept watching every episode that came on every night. Here in New York City, we usually get two episodes back-to-back on TV Land; actually four if you stay up late past midnight. Unfortunately, you also get the annoying commercials and certain scenes cut out. Have no fear: thank the people who invented DVD. I got so hooked on this show that I went out and bought Seasons 3 and 4, two of the best seasons of the show, and will be purchasing other seasons as well. This show is really enjoyable to watch, and I soon discovered that the elements of seriousness were really not that bad. A lot of those scenes involved Andy and his son Opie, such as in the episode "Mr. McBeevie" in which Andy thinks that his son is lying about the existence of the character and threatens to punish him. This is a great family show, on the same level as the Brady Bunch in terms of the values that the parents attempt to teach their children; in this case, Andy teaching his son. I love the black-and-white aspect of the show and enjoyed those seasons more so than the colorized episodes. I think I also enjoyed the black-and-white episodes due to the Barney Fife character, who left the show after season five I believe. This is not intended as a knock on the title character of the show, but I think that Barney or Don Knotts, the actor portraying him, was the heart of the show. Both he and Andy had great chemistry together. I also got a kick out of the other supporting characters, including Otis the town drunk, Floyd the barber, Aunt Bee, and Opie. The Helen Crump character was a good love interest for Andy, but I thought she came across as a drama queen in some episodes. Overall, I love this show and would put it up there with the greats such as I Love Lucy and The Honeymooners.
  • classic!

This show needs to STAY on the air. It's an awesome wholesome show for the family. My kids enjoy watching it. I enjoy watching it. It's one of those shows where you can watch it over and over and over again and never get tired of it. Andy Griffith is awesome in every episode, the "perfect father" who is capable of making mistakes, but still comes out looking like the hero.

While I never lived in the 50's, it's kinda interesting to see what it must have been like in small town America in the 1950's. Classic! Great show for the family!
  • The Andy Griffith Show is a visit to an ideal small town inhabited by some of the most memorable characters ever on television.

The Andy Griffith Show, set in the fictitious western North Carolina town of Mayberry, offered both poignancy and hilarity in its first three years. Sheriff Andy Taylor (Griffith) and his deputy, Barney Fife (played by the inimitable Don Knotts) made Mayberry a safe haven in the era of unsettling social change and in the shadow of nuclear annihilation. The characters were so real, people we would like to be acquainted with. The stories were well-written and absorbing. The many virtues of this show are so well known I will not expand beyond these few words.

Unfortunately, like many television programs which were a big commercial success, it went on way too long. I generally divide the series into episodes filmed before and after November 22,1963, the day President Kennedy died. Practically every episode filmed before that date was excellent to superior while the series steadily declined thereafter. Dull, unlikeable characters such as Helen Crump (Aneta Corsaut) and Howard Sprague (Jack Dodson) were added and the nerve-center of the show, Barney Fife, departed. Andy's quick-witted, ebullient character descended into a doleful, angry funk from which he never emerged. Those episodes filmed in color, with a few exceptions, are best avoided.

One thing I've yet to learn for certain is the reason for the unexplained disappearance of Ellie Walker, played by Elinor Donahue. As Ms. Donahue was top-billed, her departure demanded some form of farewell story. My suspicion is that Andy Griffith wanted to portray the South in a positive light and just before the exile of Miss Walker the infamous marriage of rocker Jerry Lee Lewis to a child-bride hit the fan. Ms. Donahue was nearly twenty years' Andy's junior, she was to play his romantic interest, many people remembered Ms. Donahue as a teen girl in 'Father Knows Best' and Andy did not want to reinforce that Appalachian Pedophile stereotype. So, Ellie had to go, quietly. Later, Andy underscored this when he uttered the line, "Do you actually think I want to marry a silly, giggling girl fifteen years younger than I am?" when hillbilly superstition demanded a union with Charlene Darling Walsh.

While it was probably too much to expect in the pre-Civil Rights era, I believe only one black actor ever spoke a line on the Andy Griffith Show. There were a few black extras in some outdoor scenes but apparently Jim Crow was alive and well in Mayberry, N.C. Curiously there was at least one gay character, Gomer Pyle (played by Jim Nabors).

The Andy Griffith Show, now more than forty-five years after its debut, is still shown on a few UHF broadcast stations and on TV Land on cable or satellite. Regrettably it has several minutes of each episode cut out so the broadcaster can cram in a even more commercial advertisements. So get the first three seasons on DVD or VHS and enjoy The Andy Griffith Show as it was originally broadcast.

jHh
  • A beloved show.

The Andy Griffith Show may have been before I was born, but I love watching repeats of the show when it airs on Tv Land. What I love about the show is how all the characters reflect people in small town America, where the biggest crises they would deal with was not know what to do for a Saturday night date, or something else that would seem trivial in this day in age. One thing that I loved about the characters, mainly Barney had to carry his one bullet in his pocket so he wouldn't shoot someone on the street, or when he would always try finding a wife for Andy. I also loved how Andy was the straight man to Barney's comedic antics and would always be the voice of reason when someone would try to pull off some outrageous antic that would prove harmful to their friends or family. The supporting cast was another thing that was great about the show, with Otis always stumbling into the courthouse after having one drink too many, Floyd working hard to give the men in Mayberry good haircuts, and Ernest T. Bass, the crazy mountain man who always had a rock to throw through a window when someone made him mad. These are just a few of the reasons why I love watching the show. The situations that the characters are at times believable and can always put a smile on the viewers face.
  • Aw Pa!

When you look back at this show, as I have for over 40 years, you see genuine strokes of genius in the writing. The characters are incredible. Howard Morris as Ernest T. Bass is one that is just incomparable! The Darling family, Goober, Gomer, the "fun" girls....and those aren't the main characters! What a hoot. I use this show to teach interpersonal communication. My Fair Ernest T. Bass is a favorite, as is Barney & Thelma Lou Pfftt! I think I'm going to write a doctoral thesis some day entitiled "All I Need to Know About Human Behavior, I Learned From Andy Griffith."
  • It was WAY before my time, but I like it. :)

I love the Andy Griffith Show. I usually watch it once or twice a week when I have time. I love the setting of it. A rural, southern town, where everyone knows everyone and they're all friendly. The characters are awesome too. Don Knotts did an outstanding job as Barney. LOL!!! Barney was my favorite character, and I was so sad when he left around the time the color episodes started to air! Andy Griffith was awesome as Andy Taylor. Ron Howard was the perfect match for Opie Taylor, as well as Frances Bavier was perfect as Aunt Be. Andy Griffith is a great show, and a definate classic if it can still be on the air 40 years later.
  • Classic!

The Andy Griffith Show is a classic. It takes you back to a happy time in the quiet little town of Mayberry, North Carolina. Back when life was simple. Nobody had to worry about the fears of present day life. Every time you watch this show you get a taste of those days. This show can always make you feel good and cheer you up. The jokes were always funny. Andy, Barney, Gomer, Goober, and the Darlings could always make you laugh, no matter how down you were feeling. The Andy Griffith Show is a timeless classic that will stand the test of time.
  • Great show that will charm the wits out of you.

While sometimes cheesy and unrealistic this show is ultimately funny and wholesomely good. It revolves around the lives of Andy Taylor, a sheriff, his son Opie Taylor and the ever worrisome deputy Barney Fife. There are adventures and fun times and scary ones too. But the trusted gang of the town of Mayberry can always pull through fine when they have their friends beside them. Barney in particular seems to find the most trouble and Andy often has to find himself as devising a plan so Barney won't look like the laughing stock of the town. This show was cleverly written and has plenty of charm for any show. I would recommend it to anyone.
  • One of the best shows ever.

This show may be the greatest show EVER. TAGS was awesome. They truly loved and cared for each other. They looked out for each other. Sheriff Andy and Barney were a great team. Andy always protected him and made Barney into a hero. I love how the show did things. He loved Aunt Bee and Opie and all his friends. I love how he helped many people and helped keep the peace in Mayberry. There was great morals and lessons and people learned. The comedy was great. Each episode was great and I love the show so much and it is a true classic.
  • Good, wholesome family entertainment.

As pure as mountain spring water, as cold as the rocky mountains, this is Andy Griffith to television. The great aspect of the show, being able to picture yourself coming home to a freshly baked pie and aunt Bee waiting for you when you get home. Barney was the supporting character that really make me look at supporting characters and see that even they can steal the show. Gohmer was the dumbest most loving character in the whole show, his dim-witted ways were comic gold and he was just as much a part of the show as little Opie. Thank goodness for t.v. from the past, they don't make them like this anymore.
  • This show is a Classic.

The Andy Griffith Show and 24 are the best shows of all time the reruns of this show is the only thing that everyone in my family can agree to watch other wise we can not agree on anything to watch with Barney being the funniest tv cacter of all time. this is this is the only show i rather watch in black and white then colar and that is the truth I'm not saying the colar ones are bad but when Barney left and it whent in to colar it just wasn't the same this and 24 are the best shows of all time.
  • This one is just the example of classic!

There has got to be very little people that do not know of this classic by now. It has been airing for decades! The whistle used as the theme song has been stuck in my head from the very first time I heard it. From the whistle to all the characters in the little town of Mayberry this one is absolutely unforgetable. Mayberry has a very strong fan base to this day. I think it is because people miss the small rural town life that is very uncommon or in the past to most people today. With this classic it lives on. Long live the Andy Griffith Show!
  • A classic American comedy.

a very funny family oriented show from the 1960's. It was a little bit different family sit com especially for the times with a single father bringing up his son. The Andy Griffith Show of course starred Andy Griffith as sheriff Andy Taylor and a young Ron Howard as his son Opie Taylor. Don Knotts played Andy's deputy Barney Fife in one of TV's most classic roles. Jim Nabors stared as Gomer Pyle before he got his own spin-off show. Other cast members included Parley Baer as Mayor Stoner, Frances Bavier as Aunt Bee Taylor, Jack Burns as Deputy Warren Ferguson, Clint Howard (Ron's brother) as Leon, Hal Smith as town drunk, Otis Campbell, Elinor Donahue as Elinore 'Ellie' Walker, Ken Berry as Sam Jones and Jack Dodson as Howard Sprague. This was a good show with good writing.
  • this show is superb its like a lullaby

This is one of my favorite shows of all time,in my top 3! A great show.Its timeless i watch it every night b4 bed recommend it to anyone and their folks! Andy Griffith and Don Knotts were perfect for each other,and they compliment each other. Don was just born to do 30 min comedy sitcoms what with his nervous demeanor and skinny frame.I think the best hookup for Andy was Hellen(the school teacher) whew she was good looking even in b/w. I wish James Best(Dukes of Hazzard) could have been in a few more episodes i really liked his character.
  • Black-and-White Mayberry over Mayberry in color!

It may be impossible to find the all-time greatest tv series of all time, but The Andy Griffith Show is definitely in the top ten. It had the warmest, most realistic characters and the best writing ever for a family series. This show created the best characters out of Andy, Barney, Opie, Aunt Bee, Otis, Floyd, Ellie, Helen and Thelma Lou. Unfortunately, it had just as many clunkers with the extremely irritating and illogical Gomer, Goober, Warren, Howard and Emmett. The best thing about the show was the camaraderie of Andy Griffith and Don Knotts who despite their fights and teasing, you knew they cared about each other. It was this kind of compassion that made everyone connect with the series. Knotts' departure from it was the removal of all the heart as during the rest of the show's run Andy went around irritated all the time. It's these color episodes that are the only thing wrong with the otherwise impeccable show. If Bewitched can be divided into two different series, one black and white, one in color, then the same ought to be done for Andy, and spare the lovers of the series from having to see the worst. I will watch any of the black and white episode at anytime, but if it's one of the color episodes, I'm switching the channel!
  • One of the all-time classics!

Andy and Barney's relationship was one of the classic moments on TV. They took care of each other and was a great comedy team, neither of them tried to steal the show from the other. You don't find a team like that today. Ron Howard has to be one of the greatest kid actors ever. Opie is a great addition to the show, he never had a bad shot on the set. Aunt Bea was a charming site to see each week. I don't think anyone on the show was a wrong character, each adding something special to the show.
  • Go to a Classic Tv channel and watch this with your family.

The Andy Griffith show is a true classic for Famlies. I rember watching it doing the theme song whistle watching Barney, Otis and Andy every day on AZ TV [classic tv here in AZ] and Andy is still as funny as it was back then. Long live this show and RIP Don Notts.
  • A funny family oriented show from the 1960's.

This was a funny family oriented show from the 1960's. It was a little bit different family sit com especially for the times with a single father bringing up his son. The Andy Griffith Show of course starred Andy Griffith as sheriff Andy Taylor and a young Ron Howard as his son Opie Taylor. Don Knotts played Andy's deputy Barney Fife in one of TV's most classic roles. Jim Nabors stared as Gomer Pyle before he got a spin-off show of his own. Other cast members included Parley Baer as Mayor Stoner, Frances Bavier as Aunt Bee Taylor, Jack Burns as Deputy Warren Ferguson, Clint Howard (Ron's brother) as Leon, Hal Smith as town drunk, Otis Campbell, Elinor Donahue as Elinore 'Ellie' Walker, Ken Berry as Sam Jones and Jack Dodson as Howard Sprague. This was a good show with good writing.
  • The greatest show of all time!

I am a young man but I grew up watching this show, it was a family favorite of my mother's an' father's an' I quickly became right there with them. Andy Taylor was everything a lead character should be. He's the guy who you want to talk with when you're feelin' down 'cause you know he'll make you see it's not all that bad. This certainly was a hilarious show, an' I do admit that the first five seasons when Don Knotts was still a regular cast member were certainly the mos' comic an' giddy, but even after Barney Fife bid farewell to Mayberry the charm of this small little North Carolina town an' its colorful characters was everlasting. It is a show from the '60s but it not OF the '60s. It is a town unaffected by social an' culture change in America, because life in Mayberry is already as truly egalitarian as it gets. Everyone looks out for everyone, everyone respects everyone else's place. Things move slowly, nothing is perfect, but nobody would have it any other way. Yes, I LOVE this show.
< 1 2