The Andy Griffith Show

CBS (ended 1968)

The Andy Griffith Show Fan Reviews (45)

• a instant classic that still stands the test of time .

andy griffith show is a classic tv show and they still play reruns of the show today. it took place in mayberry. and he was a cherriff . it had a lot of comedy in it and sad moments and there was always lessions to be learned after all it did come out when tv was all about the happey moments . there was tons of good eps . i did not grow up watching the show since it came out in the 60s but i do have all the boxsets and have watched lots of reruns on tv land. and apriate how a good a show it was and still is today.
  • Don Knotts Rules!

Ahhhhh i love this show i always watch the reruns on tv land now this show was so cute and cuddly! Don knotts was so awsome he was even better in threes company. Those were the good old days, it just makes you want to invent a time machine and go back dosen't it??
  • To the Andy Griffeth Show is a classic that stands the test of time.

The Andy Griffeth Show is one of the most loved tv shows there are. While the color episodes might not have been as good, they were still good. The absolute best episodes have to be the first episodes when Opie was tiny and Andy was more of a hick like in his movie No Time for Seargents. These were the best episodes of the series, with the best episode being Opie's Charity. If you haven't heard of this show then you must have been living an a cave all your life. This is a true classic that will hopefully be remembered till the end of time.
  • Andy and Opie are forced to live the single life while Aunt Bee is out of town. However, a local beauty (played by Joanna Moore) comes to their rescue and cooks for the two. Floyd believes she's aiming to be the new Mrs. Andy Taylor!

In my opinion, Joanna Moore's character is far more interesting than Helen Crump ever was. She seems a lot stronger and sings great. Andy made a mistake letting this one go.

With Floyd teasing Andy about a wedding trap being set for him (Barney is out of town. If he'd been there he'd have been doing everything in his power to get these two kids together!), there is a certain fear and that Andy is going to be turn on Moore's character and accuse her of trying to get him to marry her. The tension as we wait for this scene to come is undeniable. Instead its a relief when Andy does not confront her and instead decides to just enjoy. Perhaps he learned from all those embarrassing relationship scenes he had with Ellie. Unfortunately Moore did not return as the series wasn't quite ready to give Andy a regular gal pal.
  • The Andy Griffith Show is a visit to an ideal small town inhabited by some of the most memorable characters ever on television.

The Andy Griffith Show, set in the fictitious western North Carolina town of Mayberry, offered both poignancy and hilarity in its first three years. Sheriff Andy Taylor (Griffith) and his deputy, Barney Fife (played by the inimitable Don Knotts) made Mayberry a safe haven in the era of unsettling social change and in the shadow of nuclear annihilation. The characters were so real, people we would like to be acquainted with. The stories were well-written and absorbing. The many virtues of this show are so well known I will not expand beyond these few words.

Unfortunately, like many television programs which were a big commercial success, it went on way too long. I generally divide the series into episodes filmed before and after November 22,1963, the day President Kennedy died. Practically every episode filmed before that date was excellent to superior while the series steadily declined thereafter. Dull, unlikeable characters such as Helen Crump (Aneta Corsaut) and Howard Sprague (Jack Dodson) were added and the nerve-center of the show, Barney Fife, departed. Andy's quick-witted, ebullient character descended into a doleful, angry funk from which he never emerged. Those episodes filmed in color, with a few exceptions, are best avoided.

One thing I've yet to learn for certain is the reason for the unexplained disappearance of Ellie Walker, played by Elinor Donahue. As Ms. Donahue was top-billed, her departure demanded some form of farewell story. My suspicion is that Andy Griffith wanted to portray the South in a positive light and just before the exile of Miss Walker the infamous marriage of rocker Jerry Lee Lewis to a child-bride hit the fan. Ms. Donahue was nearly twenty years' Andy's junior, she was to play his romantic interest, many people remembered Ms. Donahue as a teen girl in 'Father Knows Best' and Andy did not want to reinforce that Appalachian Pedophile stereotype. So, Ellie had to go, quietly. Later, Andy underscored this when he uttered the line, "Do you actually think I want to marry a silly, giggling girl fifteen years younger than I am?" when hillbilly superstition demanded a union with Charlene Darling Walsh.

While it was probably too much to expect in the pre-Civil Rights era, I believe only one black actor ever spoke a line on the Andy Griffith Show. There were a few black extras in some outdoor scenes but apparently Jim Crow was alive and well in Mayberry, N.C. Curiously there was at least one gay character, Gomer Pyle (played by Jim Nabors).

The Andy Griffith Show, now more than forty-five years after its debut, is still shown on a few UHF broadcast stations and on TV Land on cable or satellite. Regrettably it has several minutes of each episode cut out so the broadcaster can cram in a even more commercial advertisements. So get the first three seasons on DVD or VHS and enjoy The Andy Griffith Show as it was originally broadcast.

jHh
  • Good, wholesome family entertainment.

As pure as mountain spring water, as cold as the rocky mountains, this is Andy Griffith to television. The great aspect of the show, being able to picture yourself coming home to a freshly baked pie and aunt Bee waiting for you when you get home. Barney was the supporting character that really make me look at supporting characters and see that even they can steal the show. Gohmer was the dumbest most loving character in the whole show, his dim-witted ways were comic gold and he was just as much a part of the show as little Opie. Thank goodness for t.v. from the past, they don't make them like this anymore.
  • A classic American comedy.

a very funny family oriented show from the 1960's. It was a little bit different family sit com especially for the times with a single father bringing up his son. The Andy Griffith Show of course starred Andy Griffith as sheriff Andy Taylor and a young Ron Howard as his son Opie Taylor. Don Knotts played Andy's deputy Barney Fife in one of TV's most classic roles. Jim Nabors stared as Gomer Pyle before he got his own spin-off show. Other cast members included Parley Baer as Mayor Stoner, Frances Bavier as Aunt Bee Taylor, Jack Burns as Deputy Warren Ferguson, Clint Howard (Ron's brother) as Leon, Hal Smith as town drunk, Otis Campbell, Elinor Donahue as Elinore 'Ellie' Walker, Ken Berry as Sam Jones and Jack Dodson as Howard Sprague. This was a good show with good writing.
  • andy griffith show

great comedy ron howard don notts great show
  • The life and times of a small-town sheriff and his family, his cooky deputy, and a colorful town populace.

The definitive family show! Plenty of morals and loads of laughs stuffed into one unforgettable half-hour show. Andy proves his worth as the leading man, and works as an ideal straightman to the rest of the cast. Of course, 95% of the classic material is derived from Don Knotts as Barney Fife. Knotts made the show delightful. The show is also very addictive, and is fun to watch at any time. It is family entertainment that may age, but will never be forgotten. The life lessons will apply to all people of all generations. Don't miss this loveable classic program.
  • The andy griffith show seasons 6-8 wheres my laughter.

Well season 6 starts out with a dud.I just watched seasons 1-5 laughed myself to tears many times.
    I barely get a chuckle out of seasons 6-8 except for the don knotts episodes this show probally should have been called the don knotts show with andy griffith the first five years maybe if jerry van dyke would have came on instead of warren who is not funny at all in fact if not for floyd and gober theres not really any funny left at all.The show just lost its charm and humor after don knotts left i dont think changing to color hurt it.Some shows play better in black and white in my opinion dark shadows for one.
  • Great family comedy on the same level as The Brady Bunch. Show strenghs include great supporting and memorable characters, the black-and-white aspect of the show giving it a classic feel, and the theme of family values prevalent throughout the show.

I must admit that when flipping the channels, I didn't stop long on the channel showing repeats of The Andy Griffith Show because something about it told me that it was a boring show. I usually enjoy comedies where the laughs keep on coming almost non-stop, such as All in the Family. For some reason, I thought that The Andy Griffith Show fell in the category of dramedy, as some episodes had a serious tone to them. That didn't appeal to me in a comedy. Then one day in year 2007, I suddenly got hooked to this show to the point where it has become almost addictive. I can't remember how I got hooked; perhaps I was watching another show that lead into it, I left the television on while doing something else, and began to laugh at Barney's antics. From then on, I kept watching every episode that came on every night. Here in New York City, we usually get two episodes back-to-back on TV Land; actually four if you stay up late past midnight. Unfortunately, you also get the annoying commercials and certain scenes cut out. Have no fear: thank the people who invented DVD. I got so hooked on this show that I went out and bought Seasons 3 and 4, two of the best seasons of the show, and will be purchasing other seasons as well. This show is really enjoyable to watch, and I soon discovered that the elements of seriousness were really not that bad. A lot of those scenes involved Andy and his son Opie, such as in the episode "Mr. McBeevie" in which Andy thinks that his son is lying about the existence of the character and threatens to punish him. This is a great family show, on the same level as the Brady Bunch in terms of the values that the parents attempt to teach their children; in this case, Andy teaching his son. I love the black-and-white aspect of the show and enjoyed those seasons more so than the colorized episodes. I think I also enjoyed the black-and-white episodes due to the Barney Fife character, who left the show after season five I believe. This is not intended as a knock on the title character of the show, but I think that Barney or Don Knotts, the actor portraying him, was the heart of the show. Both he and Andy had great chemistry together. I also got a kick out of the other supporting characters, including Otis the town drunk, Floyd the barber, Aunt Bee, and Opie. The Helen Crump character was a good love interest for Andy, but I thought she came across as a drama queen in some episodes. Overall, I love this show and would put it up there with the greats such as I Love Lucy and The Honeymooners.
  • A feel-good series

I have a friend who used to say that if he won the lottery, he would buy a TV station and play The Andy Griffith Show 24 hours a day. Sure, there was never much that went on in dear old Mayberry, but the classic series always left me with a warm feeling. Opie was a precocious, but well-mannered kid. Aunt Bea was like everyone's favorite aunt. She took care of everyone, and she was impossible to not love. Barney, with his single bullet and tenacity in following the law to the letter, provided the comic relief. In the end, good old Andy was there to sort the messes, rein Barney in, and provide a moral for the story. It's still feel-good television, and it's sadly missing in most of today's series.
  • This is a true classic.

I grew up on this show. One of the classics that I always love to watch whenever it comes on. Good, clean humor that you can't find in many of the more modern television shows that come on now. Every episode makes me laugh, especially Barney Fife because he reminds me of some people that I know. This show is kind of like my comfort show, when I get sick or anything I watch the Andy Griffith Show, and it makes me feel better, because it reminds me of when I was younger and we would all sit in the living room and watch the show. I love this show. :)
  • A funny family oriented show from the 1960's.

This was a funny family oriented show from the 1960's. It was a little bit different family sit com especially for the times with a single father bringing up his son. The Andy Griffith Show of course starred Andy Griffith as sheriff Andy Taylor and a young Ron Howard as his son Opie Taylor. Don Knotts played Andy's deputy Barney Fife in one of TV's most classic roles. Jim Nabors stared as Gomer Pyle before he got a spin-off show of his own. Other cast members included Parley Baer as Mayor Stoner, Frances Bavier as Aunt Bee Taylor, Jack Burns as Deputy Warren Ferguson, Clint Howard (Ron's brother) as Leon, Hal Smith as town drunk, Otis Campbell, Elinor Donahue as Elinore 'Ellie' Walker, Ken Berry as Sam Jones and Jack Dodson as Howard Sprague. This was a good show with good writing.
  • Go to a Classic Tv channel and watch this with your family.

The Andy Griffith show is a true classic for Famlies. I rember watching it doing the theme song whistle watching Barney, Otis and Andy every day on AZ TV [classic tv here in AZ] and Andy is still as funny as it was back then. Long live this show and RIP Don Notts.
  • Great show. Very funny and sometimes serious that will help teach a family how to cope with difficulties. Very family oriented and enjoyable to watch. HIGHLY RECOMMEND to everyone!!!!

I would highly recommend this show to everyone young or old and everywhere in between. The setting in North Carolina really is superb for its time frame. A definite must if you like the older series of shows and if you like Opie you can watch him grow up year by year before following his career on past Mayberry. Just watching makes you get lost into a reality we only dream of nowadays but have to go back to reruns to attempt to live in them. Hated to see the ending shows but the spinoffs were some good and some flops. All the characters are portrayed in fine fashion that would make a person want to go to find that special TOWN.
  • This TV show had loads of talent, great writers and directors.

This show didn't depend on jokes or wisecracks for laughs, it was natural eveyday southern situations
    with a cast of characters that were just fun to be around.

In Mayberry, they were themselves, the way aunts, uncles and cousins might really be around each other. Where small things were important, going to a movie, a fair, or the diner was the highlight of a day or evening.

Andy was the Sheriff, as you know he had no gun, except when he needed one. Barney being the opposite, the one that took everything very serious sometimes. He may have been a kluts, but he was not stupid.

Mayberry had common sense people, no rockit scientists here, Howard and Helen probably being the smartist, only Howard would flaunt it on occasion.

Only one Barber in town. Floyd took pride in his haircuts. And probably only one Gas Station, Gomer and then later cousin Goober were the friendly Gas Station attendants. They'd give you the shirt off their backs. The best small town comedy on Amercan TV.
  • A different family sit com especially for the times with a single father bringing up his son.

A different family sit com especially for the times with a single father bringing up his son. The Andy Griffith Show of course starred Andy Griffith as sheriff Andy Taylor and a young Ron Howard as his son Opie Taylor. Don Knotts played Andy's deputy Barney Fife in one of TV's most classic roles. Jim Nabors stared as Gomer Pyle before he got a spin-off show of his own. Other cast members included
  • Detective officers Barney Fife and Andy Taylor go around and solve crimes.

The Andy Griffith Show is the perfect comedy show for the whole family. It curently airs on the TV Land show channel 56. This show was very funny. Unfortunetley, one of the stars had died. The star was Don Knotts. He was on of tv`s biggest stars he appeared on Stanford and Son {or Different Strokes}. He also appeared on an episoide of The Simpsons as Barney Fife on the tv. He was also on some episoides of Scooby-Doo. On Chicken Little he was Mayor Turkey Lurkey.-Battlestar 94
  • I love this show!

I love everything TV Land has to offer. A lot of people including myself are tired of rich pretty people and their tideous problems. I like to view programs with more reason and an actual plot. It feels good to watch a show that doesn't have swearing, sexual refrences, and brutal injuries. I'm not trying to shut myself out of the real world, but TV viewing is used to calm down and relax while you eat your dinner (no one eats at the table anymore deal with it) and it's nice to watch something that is just silly and fun.

Three cheers for Andy Griffith!
  • Great show that will charm the wits out of you.

While sometimes cheesy and unrealistic this show is ultimately funny and wholesomely good. It revolves around the lives of Andy Taylor, a sheriff, his son Opie Taylor and the ever worrisome deputy Barney Fife. There are adventures and fun times and scary ones too. But the trusted gang of the town of Mayberry can always pull through fine when they have their friends beside them. Barney in particular seems to find the most trouble and Andy often has to find himself as devising a plan so Barney won't look like the laughing stock of the town. This show was cleverly written and has plenty of charm for any show. I would recommend it to anyone.
  • This is a CLASSSIC in every sense of the word.

I was to young to watch this in prime time. But thank goodness for reruns.The interaction between the characters is wonderful.Barney is hilarious when he try\'s to do real police work, and his facial expressions are incredible. The show works for me because the characters are beleievable and true to life.
  • Classic!

The Andy Griffith Show is a classic. It takes you back to a happy time in the quiet little town of Mayberry, North Carolina. Back when life was simple. Nobody had to worry about the fears of present day life. Every time you watch this show you get a taste of those days. This show can always make you feel good and cheer you up. The jokes were always funny. Andy, Barney, Gomer, Goober, and the Darlings could always make you laugh, no matter how down you were feeling. The Andy Griffith Show is a timeless classic that will stand the test of time.
  • This one is just the example of classic!

There has got to be very little people that do not know of this classic by now. It has been airing for decades! The whistle used as the theme song has been stuck in my head from the very first time I heard it. From the whistle to all the characters in the little town of Mayberry this one is absolutely unforgetable. Mayberry has a very strong fan base to this day. I think it is because people miss the small rural town life that is very uncommon or in the past to most people today. With this classic it lives on. Long live the Andy Griffith Show!
  • this show is superb its like a lullaby

This is one of my favorite shows of all time,in my top 3! A great show.Its timeless i watch it every night b4 bed recommend it to anyone and their folks! Andy Griffith and Don Knotts were perfect for each other,and they compliment each other. Don was just born to do 30 min comedy sitcoms what with his nervous demeanor and skinny frame.I think the best hookup for Andy was Hellen(the school teacher) whew she was good looking even in b/w. I wish James Best(Dukes of Hazzard) could have been in a few more episodes i really liked his character.
  • A tale of small-town life set in the South, The Andy Griffith show is a timeless classic. A study in character humor, the show surrounds a sheriff who is a single father, his son, aunt and a deputy who is always getting into a jam.

Mayberry may never have existed, but that hasn't stopped millions of viewers from wishing it did. The town setting for The Andy Griffith Show was something of a character in and of itself because it had an effect on every outsider who visited.

The town sheriff, Andy Taylor, was the wizard of Mayberry in that he possessed the heart, soul, and brains of the town. There wasn't anything Andy couldn't handle. And his deputy, Barney Fife gave him plenty of things to deal with. Starring old friends Andy Griffith and Don Knotts who played off each other with uncommon chemistry, the show is as funny today as it was 45 years ago when it debuted. Griffith is often quoted as saying the show was crafted to give viewers an escape from the turbulence of the 60's. And, it still provides that type of escape today, with no end in sight.

Based on character humor, rather than one-liner jokes, the viewer is part of the action because you know the characters. Whether its Barney trying to be super-cop or Otis staggering in from another bender, you always know Andy will fix everything.
  • It was WAY before my time, but I like it. :)

I love the Andy Griffith Show. I usually watch it once or twice a week when I have time. I love the setting of it. A rural, southern town, where everyone knows everyone and they're all friendly. The characters are awesome too. Don Knotts did an outstanding job as Barney. LOL!!! Barney was my favorite character, and I was so sad when he left around the time the color episodes started to air! Andy Griffith was awesome as Andy Taylor. Ron Howard was the perfect match for Opie Taylor, as well as Frances Bavier was perfect as Aunt Be. Andy Griffith is a great show, and a definate classic if it can still be on the air 40 years later.
  • My favorite TV sictom

I Love it

I love it

I LOVE IT!!!

My favorite TV sitcom and maybe even my favorite TV show
  • A Great Show!

Andy Griffith, Don Knotts, and Ronny Howard were great in this show. It is a comedy that shows the relationship a father and a son can have. As well as the relationship of friends. Andy Taylor is the sherriff of Mayberry and Barney Fife is his funny deputy. Andy is a single parent to a little boy named Opie. Andys aunt helps take care of them and is sweet woman. On the show she is called "Aint B" Overall a fun, family series that will make you laugh.
  • A show that stands the test of time

Of all the 1960's siticoms The Andy griffth show is by far my favourite but this needs to qualified. As with most sitcoms it often takes time for a show to cut its teeth so to speak and this show was no exception. In Season one Andy plays the Sherrif as a a very smart good old boy with a southern drawl and some of the episodes come accross as a little hokey. However by season 2 to season 5 until Don Knotts leaves the show, you have one of the most funny intelligent sitcoms ever on TV. The chemistry between Knotts and Griffth is exceptional and Ron Howard proved he is one of the best child actors ever. Unfortunatley by season 6 when the show goes to color and Knotts has left the show goes down hill. One of the simplest explanations other than the absence of Knots is the show is longer funny. The writing in my opinion deterioted considerably. Also the characters of Gober and Howard come accross as dull and unfunny. However for about 120 episodes (season 2 to 5) you have one of the funniest sitcoms ever.
< 1 2