The Andy Griffith Show

Sam for Town Council

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Mar 11, 1968 on CBS

• A Poorly Written Episode

When Emmett wants to run for office, Goober, Howard and Andy all think he isn't fit for the job. They then decide Sam (a character that comes out of nowhere) is a suitable candidate and they go on a mission to make him win. I don't know why they are so uncharacteristically unkind to Emmett in this episode and I am confused as to why they thought Sam would do a much better job for town council. This episode has to be my least favorite TAGS episode because it's plot is contrived, disjointed and not particularly funny.

I believe the character of Sam was introduced in this episode and then made the star of the often forgotten spin-off "Mayberry RFD". Even though the other reviewer on here thinks the character of Sam was "appealing" I found him rather bland, a poor man's version of Andy Taylor.
  • Sam versus Emmett

Ken Berry as Sam is so appealing--one wishes they would have made him a character a long time ago---the story is contrived and predictable--no real surprises. The ending is strange because it almost feels that it should have been in the middle and been the true thrust of the story--small town politics. Instead it becomes a race for the votes--and Sam doesn't really do much to justify winning over Emmet who's got a real political machine cranking out the votes. Not one of the best written episodes and it suffers because of it.