The Andy Griffith Show

The Darling Baby

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Dec 07, 1964 on CBS

• Contrasts in culture and attitude are what make this show and this episode work well.

The Darlings are back to to ensure that the mountain custom of betrothing Charlene's infant daughter is carried out.

My favorite episodes of this series are ones that feature contrasts, most often, this means that Andy and the crew are thrown into situations with "city sophisticates" that make them feel lost for a time. What I like about the Darling episodes is the counter situation where Mayberry residents are actually the more progressive and worldly.

Interesting plot, some funny lines about what young Opie stands to gain one day, and for me, my favorite of the Darlings (i.e. The Dillards) songs - "There Is A Time" with Andy providing a few chords on his own guitar. I can be a sucker for bluegrass, and the whistful lyrics of this one are really moving.

The resolution to the dilemna of Opie's engagement is a little hokey, but what the heck, "The Andy Griffith Show" was one of those from the era of "rural comedy" that was often funny enough to overcome it.