The Andy Griffith Show

The Darlings Are Coming

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Mar 18, 1963 on CBS

• One of my favorite episodes!

The Darlings Are Coming is one of my favorite episodes of The Andy Griffith Show. It's a classic. I love all the bluegrass singing and playing the Darlings do. I really enjoy every time I hear them. And Denver Pyle is always hilarious as Briscoe Darling. He's so serious and yet so funny at the same time. And I love how Charlene kept flirting with Andy, and Briscoe always accused him for it! I think the entire episode was just very very well written. It was a good story. The Darlings Are Coming is and will always be one of my favorites.
  • Meet the Darlings!

Althought this episode has some problems with the "point" of it all, it succeeds on sheer entertaintment and acting ability. The Darlings are wonderful and this is their first entry in the series. The scene in the hotel room where the darlings are hiding out in one tiny room, trying to remain incognito from the hotel clerk is classic. I particularly enjoyed Andy's guitar playing with them--and the songs they play are wonderful toe tapping little diddlies--wonderful for country/western music fans.
WZME