The Andy Griffith Show

The Loaded Goat

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Jan 28, 1963 on CBS

6.6
  • Not a Dynamite Episode

The ridiculousness of this episode's plot might have been acceptable if it weren't riddled with notes of borderline animal cruelty. While most people probably didn't think much of it back in the 1960s, it's hard to look the other way in this day and age.

While they didn't appear to be abusive to the animal on camera, Otis' interaction with the goat seemed like it might've been a little bit rougher than necessary. It makes me wonder how much later it was before producers started asserting that "no animals were harmed in the making of this And (spoiler alert) the solution of taking a goat out to a faraway field and (from what I gathered) tying him to a post is inhumane.

The only part of the episode with any redemption value was the fact that the goat's owner implied that he didn't want the goat to be hurt, and that he thought of him as a sort of friend. I enjoy most Andy episodes, but this is not one of them.
  • Dynamite

3.2
    I am not really sure what to say about an episode in which the goat is the best thing in it. The whole idea is just silly and I felt that there could have been some subplots that would have created more interest. Mayor Stoner is well used in this episode, but I guess I just missed the whole point?