The Animated Adventures of Flash Gordon

Gremlin the Dragon

Aired Saturday 11:00 AM Sep 13, 1980 on NBC

• The beginning of the end

I never saw the second season of Flash during its original run. Having seen it now, I guess I should count myself lucky. The first season was very good, if a little repetitive. Ming captures Flash and his friends. They escape. They encounter and befriend new people they meet, adding their help to the rebellion. Repeat as necessary. But reports were that the second season was terrible. I can see why. While the first season had its highs and lows, it never came anywhere near this episode in terms of being boring and nonsensical. The animation was a big step down from the first season's, and the difference was very obvious since they reused a lot of first season artwork alongside the new stuff. This was typical Filmation work, closer to Hanna-Barbera quality than to the first season. No longer using first season writers Samuel Peeples and Ted Pederson, the new stories made little sense. In this first story written by Tom Ruegger, things were suddenly dumbed down, with a "freeze gun" taking the place of the ray guns of the first season, probably a response to complaints about "violence." Flash suddenly has a rocket pack, making him more like Buck Rogers. Dale, knowing dangerous Beast Men are on the ground, lands the ship so it can be damaged, despite the fact that both Flash and Gremlin can fly. What was a fun show for both adults and kids was now one aimed solely at kids and didn't think much of them, to boot.