The Celebrity Apprentice

Season Finale (2)

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Dec 15, 2005 on NBC

7.3
  • It's "The Apprentices" NOT "The Apprenti"!

It boggles my mind how such a well-educated and, clearly, very intelligent business man such as Randal could make such an obvious (and smug) mistake! Did anyone ever teach him how to correctly put words in the plural form? Not only was his selfish behavior embarassing, but this just added insult to injury. Does anyone really care who wins this anyway? How would Randal's "fame" be diminished by Rebecca's hiring? They chose different projects, anyway. I was disappointed because I wanted to believe Randal had more character and class than that.
  • Was Randal ungracious? His education, business experience and track record on the show (Rebecca's 1-2 record vs Randal's 3-0 record) were HEAD and shoulders above Rebecca's. Combine that with outstanding leadership and incredible likeability. So why the

Now I am not taking anything away from Rebecca. She is bright, hard working, and determined. She overcame some incredible odds and thrived under pressure. She even completed the season with a broken ankle. In the grand scheme of things though, people forget that Randal was coping with the death of his grandmother which is an even MORE traumatic experience than a broken ankle.

Why the controversy? Was Randal being selfish or was some other dynamic at play? Was this an example of the age old advice that many Black parents give to their children "You have to be twice as qualified to get the same job as a White person"?

Contrast the question that Randal was asked with what happened during the season one finale.

I don't for a second want to take anything away from Bill Ranic but let's look at what transpired. This time we have African American Kwame facing off against Bill. Kwame had FAR more experience than Rebecca. He held a B.S. in Business Administration (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) and an MBA (Harvard). He had entrepreneurial experience with a number of dot coms and experience with Fortune 500 companies including solid sales and marketing experience with Procter & Gamble a stint as an Investment Manager for Goldman Sachs on Wall Street.

Yet despite all of this, was Bill asked if Kwame should be hired?

The results of a poll on the NBC's official Web site for The Apprentice are telling. People were

Who would you have hired?

- Randal 42%
    - Rebecca 58%

It is unbelievable that, despite his STELLAR track record, Rebecca was STILL perceived as the better performer.

The comments on THIS site are also revealing. It boggles my mind that so many people have insulted and put Randal down merely for asserting himself.

A relatively inexperienced Caucasian woman whose only win on the show was virtually handed to her by Randal was perceived as so much of a super-star that consideration was given to having TWO Apprentii. It all comes down to perception and a lot of this is unconscious. Sadly, even in 2006, a person of African descent has to out perform his White co-workers by a LONGSHOT to be even CONSIDERED as an equal. On the Apprentice we once again saw "art imitates life" demonstrated in FULL force. The more things change, the more things remain the same.

No Randal was not ungracious. He was appropriately assertive in response to a very difficult and unexpected question. Good for you Randal!
  • Randall Is S.T.U.P.I.D.

0.2
    Randall Is S .T .U .P .I .D.
    what a jerk how can you do this that selfish stupid person ahhhhh he makes me mad i lost respect for him i wanted him to win but now i think he is a jerk. Thanks for ruining the show randall! bye!
  • This season of the Aprrentice was the best so far in my opinion. In the finale, I was rooting for Rebecca, but I wouldn't have mind if Randal won. However, at the very end when Donald Trump hired Randal, the real Randal was revealed. Randal is a very self

2.7

However, at the very end when Donald Trump hired Randal, the real Randal was revealed. Randal is a very selfish punk! I cannot believe what he did to Rebecca! It would have been so cool if both of them were hired, but narcissistic Randal turned Rebecca down!?! Poor Rebecca. Donald Trump made a very BIG mistake hiring that vile Randal!

Of course Rebecca will be very successful and I wish her the best of luck. But I wish the very worst luck for Randal. I hope Randal fails and Donald Trump fires Randal some time in the near future and decides to hire Rebecca. I wish I can just claw Randal's eyes out!

• It's about time a black person became the apprentice and i think selecting Rebecca would have overshadowed Randal as Tramp's choice! Sure Randal was Nasty but remember this is as real as real gets!In life we are all self centred!

This was a great season thoroughly enjoyed the unpredictviveness of Tramps Random firing when he fired those 4 guys-no one saw that coming..not even Tramp himself. Then when he swiped Brian and Marshawn in one motion...then Alla and Felicia...reality TV doesn't get any yummier...undoubtedly on eof the best seasons of APPRENTICE
  • I want to destroy Randel.

6.8
    Wow. How could someone be so selfish? I really liked both Rebecca and Randal the whole entire show. I was ecstatic to find out that they were the final two. I really wanted Rebecca to win, but knew Randal was slightly more qualified. However, for the whole episode they made both of them out to be complete superstars. They were setting it up as if they were going to hire both of them the whole show and I was totally cool with that because I thought both would be great.

But alas, after the Donald hired Randal he asked him what he thought about hiring Rebecca. Randal selfishly and sarcastically answers: "this is the apprentice, not the apprenti." What an idiot. I completely lost all respect for him at that moment.

First of all, Randal showed no loyalty to Rebecca and was not giving the Donald unbiased advice. He was giving him selfish advice. The whole purpose of the show is for the Donald to discover great talented executives to work in his company. Rebecca would have been superb, and Randal knew that, he just didn't want her to out-shine him at her task. That showed a pretty big character flaw in Randal. He has no loyalty whatsoever. Rebecca was the queen of loyalty this season and would have told the Donald to hire Randal in a heartbeat.

This is what I wish the Donald would have said to Randal: "I asked you to give me advice and you gave me this selfish crap. Your loyalty is atrocious. You know Rebecca has been a superstar and would be a great addition to the Trump organization. And Randal, you're not the only one who has been on this show before. There are many "apprenti" already. Remember Bill, Kelly and Kendra? You have to share your title with them. You're not the sole apprentice. Your lack of character disgusts me. Randal you're fired, Rebecca you're hired!"

What kind of person would turn down the opportunity to give someone else a 6 figure a year job? Not the kind of person who I would want working for me.
  • Randal is a bastard

7.2
    So, Randal gets the dream job of working for Trump, dissing Rebecca in the process. Rebecca does nothing but complement Randal in the process of trying to say why she is better than he is. Randal bags Rebecca out the whole time he tries to explain why he is better.

Then, Randal is given the power to hire Rebecca or not as well, which would have no effect on his project as both of them chose different ones, and he says no! What a f...kn pr...k

Not happy at all with that outcome, what a let down. Sure Randal was more qualified for the job but why not let Rebecca work for him too?
  • Entertaining end to another great season, but ultimately I lost respect for Randal

Going into the episode I was torn between the two finalists. Both are outstanding candidates. I had respect for both of them. But the key word there is HAD.

I completely lost respect for Randal after watching the finale. Rebecca was nothing but complimentary to him. When Trump questioned her, she talked about her strengths without demeaning Randal. But Randal constantly bashed Rebecca. I couldn't believe it. Someone who was supposedly a trusting and nice guy completely slammed her for no good reason. It really showed that he felt threatened by her. Then at the end, when Trump asked him "if you were me, would you also hire Rebecca" he completely shut it down. Wow. I was just in complete shock that he would first stoop so low to talk crap about her, and then finish it off by preventing her from a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity because he just wanted it to himself.

I'm also shocked that Trump didn't even comment on Randal's behavior. I felt his diminishing her compared to her clean demeanor was fairly obvious, and he's usually quick to point out things like that.

I know Rebecca will go on to have a highly successful future, and I'm sure Randal will excel as well, but Randal no longer has my respect as a human being, and I think after his atrocious display on the finale, Trump made the wrong choice.
  • Randel did his thing and I completely respect him for it.

I keep hearing about all these people who wanted a fairy tale ending where Randal allowed a person who was clearly well below him in terms of skill win alongside him. I congratulate him for not giving into the peer pressure of the crowd and stating his honest feelings about the situation. Now Randal was asked through an interview whether or not he regretted his decision and he stated his answer as such.

"I'm satisfied with the decision I made and I'm pleased with the arguments I presented. As I said last night, 'in a competition there is only one winner.' You wouldn't ask the gold medalist in the Olympics to share with the silver medalist. Unfortunately for those that wanted to see a double hiring or see Rebecca win, I ended up being the bearer of bad news. However, at the end of day all I did was give Mr. Trump my recommendation. It was ultimately his decision to not hire Rebecca."

Hear that? It was ultimately Trump's decision not to hire Rebecca, it was a recommendation and I'm sure given his own intelligence he had the insight to know that Rebecca might not have been able to handle the job. I mean really, no money was donated to her charity as far as we know except for that sad helping hand by yahoo, personally I thought that was a glaring flaw in the task. Randal completely deserved the win, trump among others questioned his toughness and his ability to survive in New York?, well I think he showed everyone that he has what it takes through his bold answers that quite literally had me laughing at times considering he was out of her league. Congratulations Randal
  • omg!! What an episode!

This is a great season finale! It was very expected that Randal was going to getting hired from the begining. But what he said about Rebbeca was very unexpected!! I had repect for Randal throughout the whole series but what he said comepletly changed my opinion about him. He was acting very rude and childish saying stuff like "there is only one apprentice not 2 apprentie." If he said yes, Donald Trump would have hired Rebbecca right then and there!
  • Randal shouldnt have won

6.2
    I dont think that Randal should have won, because he changed during the final episode. Rebecca was all respectful of him, and said nice things about him, while still trying to make herself look better, and look more qualified, and Randal just dissed her and said that she sucked and that he was the obvious choice is the way he made it seem. And then at the end when he got chosen, and had the chance to get Rebecca a job too, he said no, and I know that if Rebecca had been chosen, she would have gotten Randal a job. Randal makes me mad.. and I just wanna break his big nose!
  • Randall Randall Randall, his true colors finally revealed on national television.

The whole show really boils down to the last 15 mins. Trump sitting there looking at Rebecca and Randall. Both doing their best to have Trump pick them. Then Trump decides to hire Randall, his first mistake. His second mistake was asking Randall who in the middle of his victory dance if he would have hired Rebecca as well. And then Randall's true colors are revealed. He said there can be only one apprentice. Randall who could have shown just what a good person he was, instead showed just bad of a choice Trump made in selecting him.

All of this being said, Rebecca is going to be the winner. Trump knew the second he said Randall that he lost a very very good potential money maker for Trump org. But she will be receiving all the calls and she will get to pick much better jobs and better paying opportunities.

Good Luck Rebecca!