A The Assets Community
ABC (ended 2014)

When NBC's Dr. Facehands show Do No Harm debuted to a laughable 0.9 rating in the 18-49 demo, it set a new ratings low and became the worst-rated debut for a scripted series from a major network ever. "It will be a while before another show takes that off the hook," I told myself. Well, myself, I lied. 

ABC's The Assets debuted last Thursday with an embarrassing 0.7 rating, crushing Do No Harm's dubious record in less than a year. The Assets really did some harm to ABC, and ABC paid it back by canceling the series following the second episode's even weaker 0.6 rating and less than three million viewers, according to TV Line

ABC has to take a large portion of the blame here. The network barely marketed the series before it premiered, and announced it by sneaking it into a midseason scheduling announcement with much bigger news around it. When that press release came in, the entire TV.com staff looked around at each other and said, "WTF is The Assets?" Did YOU know what The Assets was?

But The Assets, a Cold War drama about the real-life story of CIA mole Aldrich Ames, was always meant to be a short-run series. Just not this short. Only eight episodes were scheduled, meaning ABC could've easily let it run out to completion if it was feeling nice. But don't worry, if you really want to know how the show was going to end, this site has a nice summary of the whole thing. 

The Assets will be replaced on the schedule by Shark Tank repeats until Scandal returns.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/3/2014

Season 1 : Episode 8

68 Comments
Comments (68)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Congratulations ABC & America for killing a wonderful show that examined a fascinating time in history!

It appears the masses are too stupid to appreciate this subject & perhaps ABC heads are too incompetent to get the word out about a show that deserves far more attention and praise than it has gotten. It always amazes me how these TV people spend so much money creating these shows and then let them die before anyone seems to be aware of their existence.

Idiocracy is proving to be sadly more prophetic by the day, smh.....Its only a matter of time until Ow, my Balls! is #1 in the ratings
Flag
Great news!!!! ABC will be showing the remaining episodes of The Assets!!! It is detailed here:http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2014/07/01/abc-to-now-wrap-the-assets-on-sunday-afternoons-382111/10955/
If you can’t get that link, the show will run as follows:
Look for episodes five (“Check Mate”) and six (“Small Useless Truth”) on Sunday, July 27 at 4:00/3:00c and 5:00/4:00c, respectively; and the concluding episodes seven (“The Straw Poll”) and eight (“Avenger”) on Sunday, August 3, likewise at 4:00/3:00c and 5:00/4:00c.
Read more at http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2014/07/01/abc-to-now-wrap-the-assets-on-sunday-afternoons-382111/10955/#OgUrqeWKT6GzHmFd.99

Flag
I was afraid it got cancelled. I actually liked this show, and was happy is was going to be a complete story. Too bad it didn't get to finish out it's run. I thought the tension was done VERY well. The scene when he's deciding whether to kill himself or not was one of the most dramatic, suspenseful things I've seen on TV in a LONG time (even though I KNEW he wasn't going to die - that's how good it was). No wonder it got cancelled.
Flag
I really enjoyed it. It lacked the artificial big budget look and seemed to actually focus on a real story. I liked that the people just looked like regular people too.
Flag
Are they going to put the other episodes online, it wasn't great but a lot more worse shows run for years.
(Here is something a little amusing, I came on here to see what was happening with the show and typed in The Assets in the search box.
The top entry was this show naturally and the second choice was Pamela Anderson. :)
Flag
*sigh* I had hopes this one would continue. I don't understand why networks seem to underpromote certain new shows and then stuff them in time slots against new episodes of shows like "Elementary." I wonder, can "Shark Tank" reruns really do better?

We can always hope they'll do something to make the remaining episodes available, perhaps airing them on summer Saturdays like they did with "Zero Hour" and "666 Park Avenue" last year.
Flag
I quite enjoyed it, but that^s life...
Flag
Well, that was short and sweet. Pity really, I quite enjoyed it!
Flag
It wasn't that interesting, but I didn't love the first episode of The Americans (it was the music, and they learned from that), even though it began much better than The Assets.

Still, this shows (imo) exactly what would've happened to The Americans had it been shat onto ABC, and since they ended up being fantastic, who can say what The Assets might've become?

So, to sum it up, screw ABC, once again. And screw NBC. They weren't involved here, but screw them anyway.
Flag
This is really kind of stupid. Its a 8 episode mini-series so you cancelled it after 2 episodes? I must be one of the few fools that actually watched it.

It is actually not bad. Its not The Americans standard but the cast were quite good and I was intending to watch it till the end.
Flag
Clearly they planned to axe it all along. They didn't market it, they basically snuck it on to tv when know one was looking and were surprised when it didn't hit numbers? Pathetic.

And quality has nothing to do with it. Under the Dome is getting a second season and everyone on the planet seemed to hate it.

If you're not going to actually get behind a tv series, why bother even green lighting it to begin with. All I see here is millions of dollars flushed down the toilet.
Flag
I agree! And that's not a first for ABC, last year they axed Zero Hour after three episodes after barely promoting it and premiering it on a holiday. I don't get why a network would greenlight a show and then shove it anywhere knowing it will cancel it after a couple weeks, but I have been thinking about eight times before watching anything ABC for a while, having that in mind. I don't think I'm alone in this.
Flag
At least they finished up zero hour.
Flag
They did? And did it have a proper ending? I might check it out, since I abandoned it by the time of the cancellation.
Flag
And my bad spelling. Why no edit button. arrgghhh!!
Flag
Why don't they just these series run their course....ugh. You never know if it might catch on.
Flag
ABC did not advertised this mini series enough but why penalize those of us that were watching it? Only six more episodes remains and I doubt that a repeat of Shark Tank will get more audience than a new show. When they do that what they are doing is sending the audience the show captured, no matter how small, to other network.
Flag
I'm surprised that the show even made it on the air, let alone 2 episodes. Most of the American public would like to forget Aldrich Ames, if only because he wasn't a young, attractive guy. The Americans is easier to watch, simply because it is fiction.
Flag
Where did you find that "most of the American public" part? I was aware of the show and liked what I saw.
Flag
Most people don't like to admit than American in Ames' position would do what he did. It's one thing to read about it in spy novels, and watch it in the movies. It's completely something else when it happens in real life.
Flag
networks can get a not young attractive guy and make it work as the lead character of a fiction or miniseries, but they have to work for that (as for, like, everything else). ABC did nothing of the sort.
However I agree this seems to be mostly food for cable.
Flag
I liked it, I invested time into it and why the heck can't they offer up the rest of the show someother way?
Flag
Agree, there is only six episodes left.
Flag
These kind of shows are for cable networks.
Flag
Specifically FX. Oh wait, they already have as show like that on the air.
Flag
I'm pleased I didn't waste my time watching the first two, then.
I actually would have found this quite interesting, but given the low viewing figures, I decided to keep them until the whole series had been aired, just in case it was cancelled.
Couldn't they have just put the rest on at 2 am or something?
Flag
As Tim said, this was just plain bad marketing on ABC's part. It had the opportunity to hype The Assets as the next The Americans, and to jump on the bandwagon of the short-run limited series. What a wasted opportunity for them.
Flag
*fewer than 3 million viewers. Come on, TV dot com.
Flag
I enjoyed it as it was what I was originally expecting The Americans to be -- a realistic and spy-centric spy drama. I'll be disappointed if the remaining episodes aren't made available.
Flag
I agree. I enjoyed the more realistic approach and looked forward to seeing it play out. The comparisons to the Americans are ridiculous, that is a soap opera. I hope they make the complete series available on a different format.
Flag
Looking at last night's ratings, it did better than White Collar overall, but just a little less in the 18 - 49 demo. If it were a cable show, it might have been given more of a chance. Then again, being cable, it might have gotten about half the ratings it did. Guess we'll never know. It would be funny, kind of, to see this on ABC family. Would be nice if they grew up a little, as ABC / Disney, to my knowledge, has no cable owned network for more adult stuff.

Now that I think of it, neither does CBS except premium channel Showtime (?), but no basic cable station, if I am right.
Flag
CBS has TV Guide Channel, although its programming isn't clear yet. ABC had the recently defunct SoapNet, which of course wouldn't have handled the Assets.
Flag
I was looking forward to watching it. I thought the first episode was pretty good. I was planning to DVR the rest and watch it all in a row. Maybe they will do like they did with "Zero Hour", which I thought was a good show, (if it was meant as a mini-series) and run the rest of the episodes during the summer.
Flag
"Duh" is right, you don't market a show, what the fuck do you expect? This is where I remind folks that ABC was originally started as a spin-off radio network from NBC, now it makes perfect sense, right? Exactly!
Flag
Whatever level of marketing they did found me. I liked what I saw.
Flag
Yeah, sadly you are in the crowd of those who gets the shortest end of the stick.
Flag
I will never understand why networks cancel stuff and then just pull it entirely, you've paid for it so let it air.. I honestly don't believe reruns will do any better. I usually know about a good bit of TV but this totally went under my radar but once I found out about it, I was planning on watching it when it was done since it was a "miniseries event" or whatever.. should just air the other 6 episodes and get it over with. could do three a night for two Saturdays.
Flag
Reruns cost less to air and make sponsors happier than new-run failures like this. That airtime is still valuable, and the network is too stupid to do any legwork to get viewers into the show, so they would make more money airing reruns of The Bachelor or Shart Tank. Heh heh, "shart".
Flag
that's why Nielsen is crap lol I don't honestly believe most people would watch an episode they've seen than something new. seems to me they either have seen it or don't watch the show anyway.
Flag
It's true though, and keep in mind that not everybody watches a first-run show, sometimes they just tune into something safe without caring if it's new or rerun, especially something like Shark Tank where there's no serialization, or a sitcom, easy viewing stuff. That's what America is looking for, "easy viewing", it's what makes lowest common denominator television so popular on network.
Flag
"Starkist don't want tunas with good taste, they want tunas that taste good."
Flag
With ratings that bad, reruns of Shark Tank will probably pull in better ratings.
Flag
Since ABC already paid for it, they should run it.
Flag
I saved the first two episodes. I was going to watch them this weekend. Should I? What to do now? (No, you don't have to answer...)
Flag
Geez ABC, haven't you heard of the Four Episode Test?
Flag
With ratings like those, looks like nobody was showing up for that exam anyway.
Flag
Oh I see what you did there (;
Flag
WTF is The Assets?
Flag
... said all of America.
Flag
... then said no one at all
Flag
I gues a brand spankin new show that lasted one whole episode. A blatant rip off of FX's The Americans, 80's Cold War drama. This one was focusing on Aldrich Ames.
Flag
I don't think it was a rip-off of The Americans since The Assets is a true story.
Flag
Well that is true. But it is strange timing to have another Cold War 1980's spy thriller this soon after the success of the Americans. The central theme was identical. Feels like big time theft to me.
Flag
I don't think I'm missing the point; I'm just looking at it differently. After OUAT became a hit, all the networks looked for fairytale-type themes, same with pirates. Those aren't stolen concepts, it's recognition of viewing tastes and hope (pleas to the gods) that their network's spin on the concept is as successful. It's not a ripoff, it's just business as usual.
Flag
I just disagree. You guys miss the point. I know it is based on a true and different story. The story has been around 30 years. Coincidence this was developed after the success of another 80's spy drama? The Americans - that was the network copying that success with their own story, and stolen concept.
Flag
@thanatos34 Ames has stated that in addition to the money - and there was an obscene amount of it - he betrayed the spies to protect himself from exposure. I agree, two different stories.
Flag
If they wanted it to be as successful they should have at least advertised it. It doesn't really feel like theft to me because The Americans is about Russian spies living in the US. The Assets is about an American selling the names of our assets in Russia to the Soviets and not for any kind of ideological reason. They just both happen to be set in the 80s.
Flag
People more interested in the entertaining version of this called "The Americans" Anytime these networks blatently rip off other concepts. I cheer loudly when they fail. Hell - networks rip off themselves (CSIs NCISs Law and Orders Chicago (fill in the blank) etc etc... But at least it was THAT NETWORK'S concept. This kind of crap is just emabarrassing. Waiting for Canadian Scary Show to air eventually.
Flag
the americans is a soap by comparison. I really shouldn't be surprised any more though really. I live in a state that votes to keep marijuana criminalized while not insisting that GMO foods be labeled as such.

additionally you are watching a show rooting for russians in that particular game of spy vs. spy.
Flag
Scottish Frightening Episodes?

(tap tap) "is this thing on?"
Flag
Mexican Frightening Series? No? Just wait.
Flag
Wow, I am surprised. I mean with beating everyone over the head with it in commercials, trailers etc. All of that money and nothing.

Seriously though, I had no idea this was even on. Sounds like they tried to do an american version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. But in TV format and with less awesome actors.
Flag
Haha Fail.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members