All Things Avengers (Q&A Thread)

edmasterchaos

[1]Apr 26, 2012
    • level: 41

Everyone else starts talking about how cool that storyline A:EMH referenced? No idea who that guy is? Someone used a power you're sure is completely unrelated to the character? You're bamboozled that everyone is ok with Jubilee of the X-Men being a vampire?
    This is the thread to go!

Comic books are one huge on-going story that has seen all the trends circa 60s to now, it gets convoluted and messy at times, downright confusing, or very normal but obscure, so in a modern day comic-book cartoon adaptation, specially one written by Chris Yost, it's more than normal for references to be made to things that even the average comic-book nerd won't know, and that's the purpose of this thread, for everyone to know what's going on!

Ask about why X character did Y action, who Z person is, or just ask anything you're curious about the Avengers or the Marvel Universe in general (since about two-thirds of that universe have been a kind of Avenger at some point anyway)

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MajLorne

[2]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 21
    Not sure where to post this, but anyone psyched about the movie coming out in a few days? What really surprised me was how well recieved it was by the critics. I mean sure I ignore what they think, but as of recently most have given it about 95% good. That's like Dark Knight ratings. I would love to see this movie go well above the $1 billion mark. Overseas numbers are very promising as well.

MarvelComics1

[3]May 1, 2012
    • level: 15

That's a great thing to post here. This can be used for questions, background, miscellaneous information, and other "off-topic" posts. Thanks to edmasterchaos for thinking of this and being considerate enough to run the idea by me before posting it!

I'm not sure what to think of the movie coming out soon. I can imagine it making the same mistakes that Iron Man 2 and Thor made and focusing too much on characters and special effects. I think a lot of people (including me) will see it just to see the biggest superhero team-up in Marvel film history, regardless ofthe quality.I'm not sure how interesting the plot will be. Of course, from the critics' reaction I assume that this really is a good film. I guess we'll find out...

edmasterchaos

[4]May 1, 2012

I'm gonna try and see the movie on Thursday, (yay mexico) i've heard it's really good from many places. And from friends who went without me.
    EDIT: Saw it, pretty good stuff. Final fight was hardcore. I'll wait 'till more people see it before telling more.

Oh, and, amusingly enough, before the movie started i went to a book/stuff store in the mall and found a collected edition of the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes tie in comics, all four. Seemed pretty neat, a story was in a drawing style similar to the show while the next would be in a more 'sketchy' (yet fittingly cartoonish. Sorta like an introduction to 'mature' drawings') style and then back to the show style. The last story, which was in the cartoony style, was pretty awesome:
    Wasp wants to take a group picture. And the masters of evil grab ultimo or something, but Wasp tries to take a picture and at first everyone has a different reaction
    Tony just says no or something
    Steve says that there are better ways to spend time
    Hank is just working on something and ignores her
    Clint threatens to destroy the camera with an arrow
    T'Challa stays but tells her that his suit is invisible to most technology
    Hulk is eating and isn't sure what Wasp wants
    Thor says "This 'digital camera' is just another one of your soulless inventions. If you want a portrait then you should hire a real painter."

Then the masters of evil show up, big fight, there are many one-page spreads drawn in the style of the other issues with post-it notes from Wasp (like, something about Hulk making a bad decision while the page shows him getting lasered. With a P.S. saying that he survived) and when they finally beat Ultimo and the masters, Wasp insists one more time about a group shot and everyone agrees, so...

Wasp: You, kid, what's your name?
    Guy: Peter. Peter Parker!
    Wasp: Here, take a picture of us!

Spidey's first official Avenger adventure :3

Also, fun tidbit, Scott Lang's daughter, Cassie Lang, from To Steal an Ant-Man: Best super heroine ever?
    She lives with the F4 for a while when her dad worked for them, she had a crush on a Latverian, she saw a vision of the future that helped the Heroes 4 Hire save the planet, she had a mom and step-dad who didn't understand her love for super heroing and took custody of her after Scott lost his job due to the Fantastic Four gone missing (Again), she ran away from home after her dad died and then joined the Young Avengers because she grew Ant-man's powers due to exposure and, like the animated Ant-man, she can go both giant and small.

In Secret Invasion (basically the Skrull plot we're seeing in the animated series) she punches out a Skrull Yellojacket.
    She also tries to score the job as the babysitter of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, but Squirrel Girl gets that job.
    Also saved her dad with time travel, but then Doom killed her and i think she's still dead right now.

Edited on 05/03/2012 8:56pm
    Edited 2 total times.

RaizenYusuke

[5]May 6, 2012
    • level: 28
    The movie succeeded in juggling all six of these characters and making sure they all gotenough screen time. The ighting scenes were excellent, especially the climax when they all worked together.

MajLorne

[6]May 12, 2012

Saw it few days ago. It was Awesome! It was 'geekdom paradise'! You get the: Cap-Ironman 'spat' and team up; Hulk vs Thor fight; Black widow vs Hawkeye fight

Helicarrier was amazing! It starts off as a 'typical' aircraft carrier and then the blades rises and it turns into the flying fortress. I hope to see more of that in the future movies.

The final battle scene in NYC was amazing. Also the humor was totally unexpected and downright hilarious. I won't spoil it, but I'll say that Hulk doesn't treat the Asgard 'brothers' kindly Just youtube Hulk vs (thor/loki) and you'll know what I mean.

The obvious sad moment was
    ***SPOILER***

Fury was just badass when he held that rpg and shot down one of his own planes. Way better than all of his Star Wars scenes combines. That was one BMF!

I love the set up of the future villain being
    ***SPOILER***

. The 2nd post credit scene was ok, but still pretty funny.

Now 2d vs 3d: trust me, 3d didn't really add much imo. You won't miss much watching this in 2d, save the money. also it is a good thing there isn't the cheap 'arrow pointed in your face' type scenes just to justify the 3d stuff. So if you see it in 3d, it doesn't really distract you at all.

Edited on 05/12/2012 10:29pm

edmasterchaos

[7]Jul 3, 2012

I think this might interest people.

Essentially, Marvel's doing a very soft-reboot on their universe starting October. What this means is that Avengers Vs X-Men will have some impact (like Civil War) on the larger Marvel Universe and so many books will be relaunched afterwards, 22 to be exact. Which essentially means that the books will continue with new writers and artists but will have a flashy #1 on them. No continuity being scrapped.

Among these books are Remender's (Recent books include the surprisingly well-received Venom [Flash Thompson now uses the Symbiote and, well, his life is hell in an incredibly good way to read] and a rather sensational run on Secret Avengers) Uncanny Avengers (basically, Avengers with a bunch of X-Men in the team. Their first villain will be Red Skull!) as well as Hickman's (Writing FF and Fantastic Four, which are critically loved books at the moment and do a terrific job at working through a huge-long plot) Avengers (twice a month book, is going to have many five-six parters as well as one-offs story, he also promises an 18-character roster!) Bendis will deal with The All New X-Men, but, eh.

There are still many more books going on, but from October to February there will always be a new #1 every week so it'll be an ideal time to jump on the comics.

wittydal

[8]Sep 25, 2012
    • level: 3

I don't know about you folks, but miss the Hulk on The Avengers show. I wish they'd bring him back. Any one heard of they're planning on bringing him back to the show?

RaizenYusuke

[9]Sep 25, 2012
    He eventually comes back. I believe he returns in the episode, The Deadliest Man Alive.

RaizenYusuke

[10]Nov 24, 2012

I am confused about the new Avengers Assemble series. Now I heard it is supposed to be a direct sequel to the A: EMH instead of being set in the same universe as Ultimate Spider-Man. When did this happen or is it just a rumor?

MajLorne

[11]Dec 9, 2012

No idea. I also don't get why they'd drop: Vision, Black Panther, Ms marvel, Wasp, YJ either [I know it's because they want to have the characters from the movie]. The point is, why drop some of their most powerful allies and keep an ordinary human [even though BW is hot]?

But if they can do that, well fingers crossed they just keep out the over the top stupidity rampant on Ultimate Spiderman.

I still don't get why the episode 'Powerless' was never shown. That's so crap to keep it as a DVD extra. If they were saving it as part of a Sutur storyline to get wrapped up, then I could understand if they aired it last. Now it doesn't seem like they'll ever air it and we have only 51 episodes aired.

Edited on 12/09/2012 2:01pm

edmasterchaos

[12]Dec 11, 2012

RaizenYusuke wrote:

I am confused about the new Avengers Assemble series. Now I heard it is supposed to be a direct sequel to the A: EMH instead of being set in the same universe as Ultimate Spider-Man. When did this happen or is it just a rumor?

It could just be lies to ease in the fans, like how The Amazing Spider-man was claimed to be canon with Raimi's films at first.