A The Awesomes Community
Hulu (ended 2015)
So, it's been seven episodes since last I wrote a review. Not that the episodes weren't good. But there weren't any truly great over-the-top ones. The show is still good, the characters are still funny. You can only say that so many times and then you're not really reviewing anymore.

But we come to the end of season 3, and I'd have to say this was probably the best episode of the series so far. It seemed to have a season-long arc, for one thing. The last two seasons have had storylines, but they often seemed like a framework for the jokes. This year, it seemed like the jokes were the accessories.

To sum it up: Mr. Awesome turned evil after a reverse blood transfusion with Malocchio at the end of last season. He disbanded the Awesomes and brought in his own team, while The Awesomes worked out of Prock's childhood home as heroes for hire. Rescuing cats and finding missing bikes, that kind of thing. Eventually Prock found out that Perfect Man is Mr. Awesome's son and Prock's half-brother. They needed Perfect Man's blood to cure Mr. Awesome, and had to free him from where Mr. Awesome imprisoned him in the Ice Prison. Through a remarkably clever plan on Prock's part, they succeeded in curing Mr. Awesome. Now that the Awesomes and Malocchios are reunited, it's one year later and now they have to deal with an alien invasion. Cue end of season.

This episode featured... well, everyone. The Euro-Awesomes, Joclyn, Musclegirl, Indiana Johnson, Black Irish, Teleportation Larry. They all showed up to take on the evil Mr. Awesome. If you wanted to see superhero battles, we also saw the Awesomes take on the New Awesomes and defeat them pretty easily. And the Awesomes actually make Mr. Awesome (Superman, basically), break a sweat. Even he was impressed by that.

Besides, how can you not like a Spanish hero named Crotch Puncher? Because any animal can punch in the face or body, but it takes skill and precision to punch in the groin every single time.

The show also managed to humanize Perfect Man. Which is surprising because he was an unlikable jerk in season 1, and insane in season 2. Kudos to the animators and Josh Meyers for making PM likable this year.

If there was a weak link, it was probably Dr. Malocchio. He refuses to use his mind control power for fear he might backslide. Malocchio is always funny, but he really had nothing to do in the finale. Even his nutty wife Lady Malocchio had more to do than he did.

We also got some touching father-and-son moments between Prock and his father.

So how was the season overall? I'm not sure if I'd say it was the best. There was more of a through-line, and every episode touched on it somehow. But episodes like "Les MiserAwesomes," 'Indiana Johnson...", "The Dames of Danger," and "The Gayfather" probably could have been skipped. But then we would have lost the Les Miserables and Indiana Jones pastiches, and the female heroes making a showing in "Dames." "Gayfather" is the only one they really could have lost without much damage.

We got Hotwire's pregnancy, which they dwelt on for a couple of episodes and then pretty much backburnered. She did have a successful birthing experience, as we saw in the "One Year Later" tag at the end of the finale. Cute kid. We didn't really see much of Prock and Hotwire together throughout the season.

The real question is assuming they get renewed, where do they go from here? There don't seem to be any major threats on the horizon. Sure, there's aliens arriving to enslave seven billion humans. But with Mr. Awesome and Perfect Man and the Awesomes and Malocchios, that's not a season-long story. Lady Malocchio mentioned her family of criminals, so maybe they're going that way.

So really, they're going to have to pull in something entirely new. Which is different from the last two years, which have really been building up to the whole Mr. Awesome Turns Evil and Tries to Conquer the World story.

We've seen everyone at their lowest: the Awesomes forced to work for food, Mr. Awesome evil, Malocchio exiled to space with amnesia. Prock is now a world-renowned superhero, and Joyce Mandrake is the U.S. President in a funny bit.

Character-wise, pretty much everyone had their moments. Tim/Sumo was probably the only one who got downplayed. Frantic and Impresario were still weirdos, and Muscleman had a hero sandwich. Concierge came off pretty well for someone without superpowers. Gadget Gal is always funny. Okay, Hotwire didn't have much to do except be pregnant, but oh well.

But I'll look forward to season 4. More Tim, More Hotwire. Give them something to do, because they sure didn't have much this year.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?
6 Comments
Comments (6)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Apr 02, 2016
what happened to the opposite universe. i'd like to know more about those guys
Flag
Nov 06, 2015
there's also Prock's power secret that he keeps from everyone, i want to know more about that !
Flag
Nov 06, 2015
That's really about the only outstanding plot. But it doesn't seem like something to build a season-long arc around, unless it's having worldwide/cosmic implications.
Flag
Nov 05, 2015
I had to stop watching after the first two episodes of season 3. After that I'd need a subscription, and I'm not willing to pay. I hope the rest of season 3 will be free sometime soon.
Flag
Nov 05, 2015
There are places online where you can just... watch it. No bittorrnting, no Usenet.

I think the Seaman episode was probably the best of the season, but "The Final Showdown" either rivalled or bettered it. But then, what do you expect? Seaman gets everywhere... :)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members