The Baby Borrowers Forums

NBC (ended 2008)

Information about NBC and the show that you might find interesting.

toolatesmart

[1]Jun 25, 2008
    • level: 2

Call NBC at 212 664 4444. That's NBC. Ask for the comment line, they will let you leave a message. The messages are checked every 30 minutes. If you leave your own name and # it makes your opinion verifiable. I won't try to influence your opinion, but please, please, call them today!!!!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TVAddict1987

[2]Jun 30, 2008
    • level: 12
    toolatesmart wrote:

Call NBC at 212 664 4444. That's NBC. Ask for the comment line, they will let you leave a message. The messages are checked every 30 minutes. If you leave your own name and # it makes your opinion verifiable. I won't try to influence your opinion, but please, please, call them today!!!!

Why are we calling them? And where is "the information about the show that we might find interesting"?

toolatesmart

[3]Jul 3, 2008
    The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry is calling for NBC to cease showing the program. NBC will probably show the remaining episodes. It is too bad. It seems to me that the theme of the show is that being in a human family is too hard for teenagers. That's got to really pull down on teenagers' self-esteem. When teenagers get feeling bad about themselves, you know, they might just go out and "mess around" to make themselves feel better. Next thing you know, more teenage pregnancy! OOPS!

KP1935

[4]Jul 3, 2008

toolatesmart wrote:
    The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry is calling for NBC to cease showing the program. NBC will probably show the remaining episodes. It is too bad. It seems to me that the theme of the show is that being in a human family is too hard for teenagers. That's got to really pull down on teenagers' self-esteem. When teenagers get feeling bad about themselves, you know, they might just go out and "mess around" to make themselves feel better. Next thing you know, more teenage pregnancy! OOPS!

I'm not even sure how to respond to this post. So your theory is that this show might contribute to more teen pregnancy? If teens take the time to watch this, I'm guessing it will lower the teen pregnancy level.

toolatesmart

[5]Jul 3, 2008

I think that the show was ill-conceived (pardon the pun) in the beginning, a blatantly exploitative move on NBCs part. I think that the kids who were on the show probably didn't get pregnant while the show was being taped. I think that very few teenagers will get pregnant while they are watching the show with their parents.

I think that instead of showing teenagers how useless and silly they can be, it would be a good idea to show teenagers who are making profound differences in the world. The ones who have garage sales and bake sales and send the proceeds to Myanmar, the ones who work hard in school despite difficult circumstances and grow up to become responsible parents and contributing members of society, the ones who do take care of aging grandparents and develop intergenerational ties and respect for the way things used to be.

I think if you showed teenagers a vision of how great they can be, they might become great. If you show teenagers they are useless and silly, they might believe you. That would be sad.

TVAddict1987

[6]Jul 3, 2008
    toolatesmart wrote:

I think if you showed teenagers a vision of how great they can be, they might become great. If you show teenagers they are useless and silly, they might believe you. That would be sad.

I don't think this shows teenagers that they are useless and silly; I think it shows teenagers that parenthood is a difficult thing,and is a reality that they are not emotinally equipped to handle.Period. While I do agree working with kids to show them how they can make adifference in the world is great, even the best behaved, high achiever kids get pregnant. So many kids think it is so easy, and I think this show is a good reality check. Most seemed to handle the responsibility well.

Tsanii

[7]Jul 7, 2008
    • level: 10
    toolatesmart wrote:

I think that the show was ill-conceived (pardon the pun) in the beginning, a blatantly exploitative move on NBCs part. I think that the kids who were on the show probably didn't get pregnant while the show was being taped. I think that very few teenagers will get pregnant while they are watching the show with their parents.

I think that instead of showing teenagers how useless and silly they can be, it would be a good idea to show teenagers who are making profound differences in the world. The ones who have garage sales and bake sales and send the proceeds to Myanmar, the ones who work hard in school despite difficult circumstances and grow up to become responsible parents and contributing members of society, the ones who do take care of aging grandparents and develop intergenerational ties and respect for the way things used to be.

I think that very few teenagers will get pregnant while they are watching the show with their parents.

Because no teenager would do it with their parents in the room. Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Depends on the teenager, really. Personally, having recently excaped my teen years I wouldn't have fallen for that sappy stuff. Might be just me, though. I've been told I'm rather level headed, but that whole sappy 'oh look what you could be doing for your community' stuff didn't and doesn't wash with me. Which would probably why I hate Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. I'm not an average American Teenager, being as I'm not American or a Teenager. But I've never done drugs or had a drop of alcohol before it was legal for me to do so in my Provence. In my family, I'm kinda the good child.

I like this show, actually. And I wish a few of my pregnant and/or baby-toting younger friends had seen it before getting pregnant. It shows how much of a responsibility having a baby is, and that most teenagers don't have the maturity level or the ability to put their baby first and themselves second. I know a few teen moms who are great mothers, and some who probably could've used a nice big reality check before bringing a life into the world.

It really depends on the circumstances. I found it interesting that the teens in the show want babies at such a young age, thinking they're ready. Most of the girls I knew didn't want a baby until they knew they were pregnant. And some of them didn't want a baby even then (would rather not get into a pro-life/pro-choice debate here, if possible).

It's an okay show. Not the best show. Not a sappy 'do good in the world' teenager show. Just one that shows pretty good indication of how much work goes into having a little baby, which will maybe make a teenager think twice before signing that pregnancy pact with her girlfriends.

Good god but I ramble sometimes, no?

Helostwin

[8]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 18
    I think NBC went out of their way to find the most incompetent teens possible. I'm a 17 yr old guy and I'm a better babysitter than some of the GIRLS on this program.

J-Fein

[9]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 4

I have some information about NBC and the show that you might find interesting. On the Baby Borrowers forum on the NBC website, there is a thread where the parents of the babies and the toddlers talk about their experiences, both on camera and some of the off-camera produciton matters. The thread is entitled "The Parents Respond to Fans' Comments". It's an open forum so if you have comments/questions to ask/tell the parents, go there and check it out. It's very interesting to see what some of the parents say.

Edited on 07/11/2008 2:59pm

ugamom

[10]Jul 16, 2008
    I think the guys on this show are much more responsible than the girls. But, I work with Head Start with 3 and 4 year old children, and consistently, the dads are the more dependable parent for the children in our program. Thumbs up for the boys that seem to be "stepping up to the plate" and caring for their children. This is a role reversal that was needed in the past. NOW, if we could just get the girls to come around and not be so spoiled and self centered - the balance would be beneficial to the children and to society as a whole. Two active, participating parents who care deeply for their children and are involved in their lives would be a blessing for everyone!

cassamaki

[11]Jul 18, 2008
    I am years younger than the people on this and I am a better babysitter than like, everyone on the show. And I was Red Cross Certified a year ago!