The Baby Borrowers Forums

NBC (ended 2008)

Poor Babies!

sponge_bob14

[1]Jun 16, 2008
    • level: 12

What crazy parents let their lil baby into the hands of young adults!! i feel so sorry for these kids!!! what do you think would you let your baby (if you had one) on this show?!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bbyboop1977

[2]Jun 16, 2008
    • level: 10
    If you think about it. It's just like haveing someone babysit your kids, but the parents get to watch.

alanshapiro

[3]Jun 18, 2008
    • level: 1
    Yeah, there's no way NBC would let anything bad happen to kids and babies on national tv. It's just going to be awesome tv to watch people who are kids themselves deal with babies. I'm gonna watch. NBC , on the 25th, woot wooo!

Iwant150Bucks

[4]Jun 19, 2008
    • level: 2
    If you have a problem with the kids being loaned out then you should also have a problem with all kids working in tv. in this show the parents are there watching, there are nannies and the kids aren't required to do anything except by kids.

zuberoo20

[5]Jun 19, 2008
    I wouldn't do it for sure. There's no way I could watch my kid screaming on a monitor and some clueless teenager trying to figure out what to do.

I'll be watching though!

lacey72

[6]Jun 20, 2008
    I'm actually really excited for this show. My 16 year old sister wants to ahve a baby and she and her friends think it's cool - hopefully this show will show teens like her that it isn't like a fairytale.

Think86

[7]Jun 21, 2008
    Stupid kids and babies make for great television!

lacey72

[8]Jun 21, 2008
    HAHHAHHA These kids are getting a heck of a wake-up call!

cowgirlkatie

[9]Jun 22, 2008
    Yeah they are. I am looking forward to it.

sassykm11

[10]Jun 22, 2008
    Well in light of that teen pregnancy pact, I think this show has good timing.

toolatesmart

[11]Jun 24, 2008

I'm looking for an answer to these questions. First, how many waking hours a day did the parents spend with their children? Second, in the preparation for the separation, was the possibility of attachment disruption discussed with the parents? Were any specific policies in place to prevent attachment disruption? Third, does anybody really believe that leaving your child with strangers in a strange place, and popping in when things get bad is a good idea? Fourth, has any consideration been given to the possibility that airing the video of this experience on national TV will aggravate the impact on those children, make it a continued reality in their lives long after the initial experience is over?

zuberoo20

[12]Jun 24, 2008
    toolatesmart wrote:

I'm looking for an answer to these questions. First, how many waking hours a day did the parents spend with their children? Second, in the preparation for the separation, was the possibility of attachment disruption discussed with the parents? Were any specific policies in place to prevent attachment disruption? Third, does anybody really believe that leaving your child with strangers in a strange place, and popping in when things get bad is a good idea? Fourth, has any consideration been given to the possibility that airing the video of this experience on national TV will aggravate the impact on those children, make it a continued reality in their lives long after the initial experience is over?

Huh?? maybe you should ask NBC. Or, just relax and enjoy the show.

jjrocker22

[13]Jun 24, 2008
    Sereiously take a chill pill. It's not your kid. It's not your responsibility. It's just a freakin' TV show.

Garegare99

[14]Jun 24, 2008
    does that mean you would let your kid do it? then you might actually care what happens to these kids. someone should start the show baby stealers...that might make outsiders care what goes on with these tv shows...

sballlvr

[15]Jun 24, 2008
    Really? Baby Stealers? C'mon!

zuberoo20

[16]Jun 24, 2008
    No, i wouldn't... but that is a me thing. If other parents are willing to do it, fine. I don't think it is traumatic to the kids.

toolatesmart

[17]Jun 25, 2008

It would be nice if NBC would stop running the promo where that little kid is so upset. It is really disturbing.

sballlvr

[18]Jun 25, 2008
    Yeah, but it's reality.

toolatesmart

[19]Jun 26, 2008

This show is promoted as a way to educate teenagers. The parents of the babies are the models of good parenting. They act as educators, from the lists that they gave the teens to the corrections that they offer when the teens are not doing the right things.

The nannies, whatever other professionals are on staff, the technical crew, they all stand by as the parents of the babies sit in the other room watching the whole thing, aware of the babies' distress for HOURS, and all of them just let it continue. That behavior is not good parenting.

When a baby is in unnecessary distress, a good parent (or a good stranger, for that matter) intervenes. Are there times when it is necessary for babies to be in distress? Sure, shots and other medical things come to mind. So does a carefully considered degree of stress that allows the children to learn to soothe themselves.

The one thing that happens over and over in the show as edited is that the children are in prolonged unnecessary distress and the parents let it continue so that the parents meet the needs of the teenagers to be "educated" instead of meeting the needs of the babies.

What every child really needs is at least one adult who values that child above everyone who is not a member of the immediate family. This program shows parents (not the teenagers, the real parents) who walk right past their own crying children to help somebody else, someone who may be in equal distress, but someone who did sign him/herself up for this. That is BAD parenting. Bad parenting, not contraception, is what this program teaches.

!Hi sballvr! You like my writing, remember? Several layers of meaning. Anyway, still pitching, and you are not getting paid? Or do you work for that stop pupal reproduction thing? That's either your passion or your paycheck!!! GOT IT Too bad, because the means can sink the end. Acknowledging a mistake is the first step in fixing it. I read too much spy stuff.

TVAddict1987

[20]Jun 28, 2008
    • level: 12
    toolatesmart wrote:

This show is promoted as a way to educate teenagers. The parents of the babies are the models of good parenting. They act as educators, from the lists that they gave the teens to the corrections that they offer when the teens are not doing the right things.

The nannies, whatever other professionals are on staff, the technical crew, they all stand by as the parents of the babies sit in the other room watching the whole thing, aware of the babies' distress for HOURS, and all of them just let it continue. That behavior is not good parenting.

When a baby is in unnecessary distress, a good parent (or a good stranger, for that matter) intervenes. Are there times when it is necessary for babies to be in distress? Sure, shots and other medical things come to mind. So does a carefully considered degree of stress that allows the children to learn to soothe themselves.

I think you are taking this way too seriously. Keep in mind that you only know what goes on by what is shown on TV, not behind the scenes. This is not a 72 hour thing! Children(even in a reality show) can only work a certain amount of time each day. Most likely when they show the teens talking to the cameras, the parents are being with their kids. If you think about it, these teens are technically babysitting. Also, many parents at times,do leave their children with caregivers that they have barely met. Ask me how I know- I am a professional nanny. Even at the very beginning of a position,(when the children would not know me well) I have been left with children for several days. Yes, this includes young infants. Guess what- they bonded just fine with Mom and Dad when they came home. I seriously doubt these children will be emotionally scarred. Chill out, and don't watch if you don't like it.