The Batman

Batgirl Begins (1)

Aired Saturday 11:30 AM Sep 17, 2005 on The CW

• Batgirl rules all.

What it seems is technically the third season premiere of The Batman opens with one of the series' best episodes. I missed "Strange Minds" and "Night and the City" the past two weeks, so, when I saw Batman fighting Poison Ivy and Batgirl showing up at the beginning, I was afraid I had missed their introduction somehow. This fight scene pauses, however, when Batgirl breaks in with narration and starts telling the story over from the beginning. This is a good way of gaining viewer interest and, I must say, I really liked Barbara/Batgirl's voice-over and dialouge in general. She just seemed to have a really natural but great sense of humor and wit about all the events going on. Her starting off as an eco-vandal with Pamela Isley (soon to be Poison Ivy) was a nice touch, and the connection formed between Pamela and the muscle-bound thug du jour, Temblor, was handled smoothly and made a lot of sense.

Pamela Isley seems to be one of the most realistic villains on The Batman as she, like many teenagers, can get really obsessive about a cause when they first discover it (I went through a similar phase myself), and drawing Barbara part way into her eco-terrorism was very believable.

Barbara Gordon, while not shown becoming Batgirl in this episode, has got the set-up for doing so down-pat. Her father, Commissioner Gordon, establishes that Barbara tends to fluctuate between friends and passions in life (starting out wanting to be a detective, then a bee farmer, then a saver of the environment), so, when she sees Batman and goes "He is so cool!" it makes a lot of sense that she'd make her new passion in life vigilanteism.

All in all, this episode was mostly set-up, but the glimpses given of the "future" keep it from going stale, as we're eager to see what leads to that state of affairs. Add in the brilliant characterization of Batgirl (excuse me, Batwoman), the typically great fight scenes, and some moments of great humor (Pamela balancing the lives of teenage girl and criminal mastermind really had me cracking up) and this is an episode that rivals "The Laughing Bat" and "Traction".