The Batman

Batgirl Begins (2)

Aired Saturday 11:30 AM Sep 24, 2005 on The CW

• A good episode with a few shocking moments.

As cartoon series season openers go, this one was pretty nicely done. The animation was great, the plot was well-written, and there was some nice character development on the part of the three leads (Batman, Barbara, and the Commish). They took a very clever two-part episode idea- show a cliffhanger where we're not clear what is going on, then flashback to show what is going on, then end the first part with another cliffhanger, then in the second part develop things further and resolve both cliffhangers- and did a nice job with it. My applause.

On the characters- Batgirl is a nice addition to the show's cast. The witty banter between Batman and his various allies has always been my second favorite part of the Batman mystique (my first is the many Bat-gadgets). Bringing another ally onto the show to further interact with Batman is surely a good thing. And once again this show has taken a well-established character of the Batman saga and redefined that character in a positive way. I already like the show's Clayface and Catwoman better than the original versions, its Riddler and Penguin have also been great (though not as good as Burgess Meredith or Jim Carrey, these characters have at least shown me why Penguin and Riddler are good Bat-villains)- and the show's Batgirl is great too. A well-developed (for only two episodes) character, a source of much comedy, and a good role model for young women. I especially liked the way Batman came to see himself in her and how he immediately figured out who she was. A detective he is indeed (which reminds me- this show needs Ras! :). I only hope that Batman's relationship with his newest ally doesn't come to eclipse his relationships with his other allies. Detective Yin was a good addition to the cast, the first Gotham police officer I've really liked other than Gordon (IMO Bullock and Montoya were always very stereotypical and little more than that). She just has this certain vibe about her that would charm a gargoyle (:), and Gordon can't always be the cop Batman talks with. Plus they can't just throw away all the great moments Yin and Bruce Wayne have had this season (Fire and Ice, Night and the City). That would be a mistake.

Speaking of great moments, this show had quite a few of them. Since I can't post quotes till I'm Level 2 I will mention them herein:

Barbara : "Hello, Commissioner. This is the Batman. Care to go bowling?"

Alfred: A Bat...girl, sir? Perhaps I should have the Batcave equipped with a doggie door in case a Bat-Hound decides to join the team!

Gordon: Batgirl, I'm in your debt.
    Batgirl: It's Batwo...Forget it. Batgirl it is. Uh, thank you, uh, citizen. Just doing my job.
    Gordon: Another red. What are the odds?

Batman: Not every child gets to rescue their parent.

Great lines, all of these. I hope more are ahead. I can hardly wait to see how Batgirl interacts with the more established villains of the show- like Catwoman and Riddler. Those two have had the best moments of interplay so far with our hero (Ragdolls to Riches, Riddled, Night and the City) and their reactions to his new sidekick will doubtless be interesting. (Riddler- "There is now another riddle in the hearts and minds of Gotham City- who is Batgirl?)

My only complaints about this season-opener are the somewhat abrupt ending of the second part, and the fact that Poison Ivy was a bit over the top. Should her power really have developed that quickly? It was almost too much for Batman to handle, even with new gadgets and Batgirl's help. I think they may have given the audience a very heavy impact on their suspension of disbelief. The script did make up for this a bit, though- I got the idea that a lot of Ivy's power was unconscious, instinctual- like nature itself. It seemed she was just reacting to whatever situation she was in and trying to win however she could- and the powers that popped out both surprised and gladdened her. Yes, it was sudden and over-the-top, but Ivy soon got used to it and developed it well. The writers of shows like Teen Titans and X-Men Evolution could take lessons from how well this process was written here. I shudder to consider the kind of threat Ivy will be to Gotham City once she further learns just how to control her powers and use them wisely. It was also a good thing the writers gave her an in-depth relationship with Barbara on par with Bruce's relationships with Ethan/Clayface and Catwoman/Selina. That's more than any Batman writer I've seen has ever done for Ivy- and very welcome. She's hardly the show's most original antagonist (that award has to go to Chief Rojas, who was very well-written and showed what was probably the most likely response a police chief would give to someone like Batman in the real world- ), but in this two-parter Ivy was very good. A welcome addition to the ranks of Joker, Penguin, Riddler, and the rest. Let's hope the other incoming new villains measure up.

All in all, this episode was one of my favorites thus far. I hope the third season continues in this vein.
  • Better Then The First Part!

This episode was way better than it's first part! It was great!

Batwoman's costume was great, I liked how she was tring to fit in with Batman.

She reminds me of Robin in BGK.

It was nice seeing a side kick, I'd prefer Robin, but he's in the Titans in this ime period.

Batman found out her identity, way to fast.

This episode seems like Batman TAS's introduction of Batgirl, but without Robin. In both, Batman figured out her identity.

Having batgirl in this episode gives ignorent people the oportunity to see how good TB is. This episode is the best two parter and people should learn to live with Batman TAS being canceld. Bruce Timm and them had their fun, but it's someone else's turn as Paul Dini said. Bathound's mention was cool. This is the second time in a Batman show, he was mentioned. It was great. I wonder if Bathound or the real Batwoman will appear in any time soon. Anyway, this episode was great! I hope more stories in this season will be this good.
  • Difficult to get past a lot of the unbelievable stuff, but it's still pretty good.

6.6
    I understand that I have to suspend my disbelief to watch That Batman, in fact, any comic book-based show. And I think I do a pretty good job of it. But this episode certainly tests my ability to do it.

I can buy that Poison Ivy telepathically controls the genetically altered plants. And I can believe that even a teenaged girl can don a cape and cowl and become a superhero. I'll even buy into Poison Ivy's ability to control others with her hypnotic dandruff. What the heck, I'm on board with her ability to talk to unaltered plants. But here's where I draw the line: How the hell does Poison Ivy make regular plants, plants unaltered by ChloroGene's substance, grow and move around in an instant? It just doesn't make sense. You don't see Aqua-Man making his sea creatures do supernatural things, do you? Poison Ivy should only be able to make the ChloroGene altered plants move like that. Otherwise, it would be as if all plants COULD do it, they just choose not to. Or they need a leader to prod them into doing it. It's absurd.

I also have a problem with Batgirl. Okay, I get that Barbara Gordon is an excellent gymnast, but you don't see Mary Lou Retton crime fighting or even getting into and winning a lot of fights. That's because gymnastic ability does not translate into fighting ability. In Batman: The Animated Series, Barbara had at least taken some self-defense classes. Is it too much to ask that The Batman's Barbara had something more than doing well on the uneven bars to translate into crime-fighting success? I guess it is.

On the other hand, as far as origin stories, this one is pretty good. I like that Poison Ivy is a teenager and that she and Barbara were friends. That's a nice twist. And I love what Poison Ivy was able to do with the plants (I just wish she had done with genetically engineered plants, grrrr). BTAS was never able to have Poison Ivy work on such a grand scale.

So in conclusion, if you have a superheroic ability to suspend disbelief, you should really enjoy this episode. However, if you are a mere mortal like I am, it's fairly entertaining, with big streaks of annoying running through it.
  • Good, but not quite as good as the first part.

6.6
    Yeah, this episode was pretty awesome. Everything just seemed so rushed, and I hate Batman's "Freeze Bombs", it seems like such a cop-out to have him use those every single time to catch these villains with super-natural powers. (Clayface, Ivy)

However, Ivy was awesome. Her design looks alot better in action than her cel did. Voice-Acting was once again really wonderful on Piera's part, and I really liked some of the plant creatures she controlled.

The only annoying thing was the backstory screw up, Poison Ivy is supposed to have engineered these plants. The fact that she got these powers through accidental science that wasn't her own weakens her as a character.

Overall, great episode, just not as good as part 1.