The Batman

Swamped

Aired Saturday 11:30 AM Jun 11, 2005 on The CW

• Decent fight sequences, Bruce using some brains

I don't typically write Batman reviews, but I liked this epidofr. There were a few implausibilities - Croc seems to know an awful lot about Gotham and its pumps, for just arriving. And there wasn't really much to this episode - basically an excuse to haul out a new Batman suit for the Walmart figure sales, a new villain, and some fight sequences.

But it's a really good villain, and some really good fight sequences. Ron Perlman brings his usual voice talent to the episode, adopting a Cajun accent (sorta - it tends to come and go). Croc is more-or-less updated for the new animated series and is drawn to convey a very impressive and awe-inspiring physical appearance. He's overconfident, but rightly so - he walks all over Batman in most of their fights. You get the impression that Bruce has to work to beat this bad guy, rather then just racking them down and then beating them in the inevitable fight scene.

The fight scenes are also different because both because Croc is faster then he looks (look at Bruce trying to hit him initially) and that he's basically armoed, so a lot of Batman's punches and kickes aren't doing much. Usually the fights are one martial artist against another (Penguin, Joker, Catwoman), or Batman versus some guy with superpowers with no fighting abilities (Mr. Freeze, Firefly), so this fight definitely stood out as different. Here we had Bruce fighting a guy with a different fighting style.

Bruce also has to outsmart Croc, but use his physical skills to initiate his plan and stop him. He has to break free and figure out how to stop Croc since his opponent doesn't have gills. So it's a better wrap-up then the usual "punch them until they drop." They could use more "defeats" like this one.

We also get to see Batman publicly put up his opponents and maybe get a bit of recognition at the end.

I could have lived without all the water-related puns - you have some on this show every episode, sure, but there seemed to be more then usual. Still, overall, a pretty good episode.