The Batman

The Batman vs. Dracula

Aired Saturday 11:30 AM Oct 18, 2005 on The CW

• A great animated movie, made mediocre by the cliches

Firstly, I would like to point out that I wasn't impressed when I heard that an animated movie "Batman vs Dracula" was going to be out, considering the idea unoriginal.
    However, I must admit that the movie was a good one, it lasted as long as it should have (unlike "Ultimate Avengers" for example, which was too short) and it had an interesting array of characters.
    Why is this mediocre then? Because it had one cliche after another. Starting with Joker's escape immediately after a convict said he could not, continuing with the bizarre coincidence that Penguin would somehow decided to open Dracula's crypt, not to mention the fact that Bruce Wayne was just experimenting with a machine which would create sunlight, Dracula's main weakness (and many, many, many, many more).
    Even more, some illogical facts, such as Dracula's body being moved to Gotham City (I don't think it should have existed when Dracula was killed), the fact that all the cliche weaknesses of a vampire are inserted, not to mention the antidote serum (copied from Blade).
    The movie had some good scenes too: the one when Batman chases Dracula over the rooftops (we see a resemblance between the two), the scene where Batman defeats Dracula (the shadow he casts is nicely done) and the Lost One's are superbly drawn.
    All in all, this is not a bad animated movie and you should really give it a go if you are a Batman fan. Otherwise, unless you like action cartoons or vampires, you can afford to miss it.