The Batman

The Man Who Would Be Bat

Aired Saturday 11:30 AM Oct 30, 2004 on The CW

• Detectives Yin and Bennet think they have come close to discovering the Batman's identity, but it turns out that the person they're after is not the Batman...not exactly. Now Gotham City must survive the wrath of the Man-Bat!

We had the first two OK episodes, followed by the superb Call of the Cobblepot. The first three episodes were generally light-hearted, and now we get a Gothic chiller with a respectable reinvention of the Man-Bat character. The storyline is good, not spectacular, but good all the same. It's really a typical mad scientist theme. A weird doctor with a fascination for bats wants to perform a creepy genetic experiment that will make him like Batman. When Batman investigates he discovers that this doctor has invented a serum that transforms him into the Man-Bat, the evil equivalent of Batman. So we've had the Joker, Bane and Penguin, and now we get Man-Bat. I've got to say, this is a great new version of the character. Dr. Langstrom, the Man-Bat's human form, looks genuinely creepy and disorientated, not the typical eccentric look of a mad scientist, but of a scary, unbalanced man whose using his vast intellegence for the wrong cause, and once in his monstrous form, he does look pretty terrifying and much more scary than the other versions and his roar sounds truly beastly and horrific and really does send a chill up your spine, and there is the crazed look of a mad beast in its eye. As well as the villain, I also like the protagonists. Ethan Bennet and Ellen Yin are excellent in this segement, showing themselves to be truly determined cops who won't let anything get in the way of their duty, and Ethan is shown to be a loyal friend to Bruce, and once Ethan has been kidnapped by Man-Bat in the quite freaky seqence when he swoops down and flies into the night with Bennet in his grip, Batman is shown to be genuinely concerned, evidently showing that the two of them are great friends. Yin is shown to be pretty sharp and suspicious, beginning to realize that Bruce Wayne is not all that he seems and fighting well against the Man-Bat. The episode is not perfect, however. There are a few moments that don't have the intended effect, and at times the character reactions don't seem sufficiently done, but overall this is a great segement, not quite as spectacular as 'Call of the Cobblepot', but better than the first two all the same, and truly shows promise for the series, gaining it an 8.9.