The Batman

Traction

Aired Saturday 11:30 AM Sep 25, 2004 on The CW

• Good For A Early Episode

In this episode, Bane makes his debut in the series. It\'s an very good episode wich is also dramatic and interesting. It also contains a lot of violence.

Banes new form is an good change from the earlier versions: A normal strong man suddenly turns into an monstrous and red super-strong character when a dial is turned. This is an example of an good episode, i hope that Bane will show up again in a later episode.
  • After an encounter with masked assassin, Bane, Bruce is forced to hang up the cape and cowl, until he can recover...

This episode proves that not every series can be 100% brilliant. The "Spider-Man" referneces made me want to kick-in my television in frustartion, while the fight scenes made me wonder just what the writer was thinking at the time. If I had a choice, I'd skip this episode, as even Yin and Bennett are used pourly.
  • Mob bosses who are tired of Batman decide to hire a man named Bane to take him out. At first glance he looks like a normal person but he can transform into a massive monster upon will. His physical strength useless, Batman must find a new method to fight.

The second episode of The Batman continues the nice vibe set by the first. This storyline shifts gears the mob that Batman has been taking down. Sadly, we don't get a lot of insight into these mob figures, with them having extremely little screen time, and are really only shown as a way of getting Bane into the show. We never learn how Batman took them down, or even their names for that matter. However, we do get to see the new version of Bane in all his glory.
    This version of Bane is a bit off, but mostly on. He is depicted as a mysterious figure (we never see his face or learn his real name) but a menacing one none the less. His massive figure when activated is very powerful looking, more so then any other depiction. He is also able to physically defeat Batman, which is a nice change from Joker getting whooped last episode. However, the downside is that the intelligent side of Bane isn't shown, and he is mostly all brawn. Hopefully we'll see more of the strategist side of bane in future appearances.
    The main characters continue to be great, with a very deep subplot that develops the relationship between Bruce and Alfred, and a well intigrated flashback showing the two of them. Using Bruce's injuries as the pivotal point of this, it actually becomes more emotional than originally thought. Plus, the final battle between Bane and the BatBot is just plain cool. Altogether, this is a great episode that builds on the characters established last episode to great extent.
  • Gangsters in Gotham City are finding Batman a problem and so they hire a South American assassin who has the power to transform into a monstrous creature called Bane with superhuman strength.

We had the pretty promising start of a series with Bat in the Belfry and that was OK. Good in fact. It portrayed the Joker as a twisted, phychotic maniac, if a little silly at times, and Batman as a dark, menacing and yet protective, heroic figure. This episode chooses to introduce us to Bane, the villain who is infamous for being the only one to ever actually defeat Batman. Like the last episode, very simple plot, but this time with a little more motive. Gangsters have gathered together, all sick of being beaten by Batman time and time again, and one of them has hired the masked killer, Bane, to destroy the Batman once and for all. Bane has the ability to transform himself into an incredibly powerful beast using the Venom formula, and during his first battle with Batman, he crushes Batman and then proceeds to take over Gotham. This is a pretty good story in itself, but it has its definate flaws. We should have seen Batman busting more crooks before they actually join forces to show that Batman is really frustrating them, and to have Batman shown as a more unstoppable force, seemingly unbeatable, and so there would have been a greater shock element when Bane defeats Batman in battle. After Bane has beaten Batman it all just gets a little far-fetched. Bane starts taking over Gotham- by robbing places and commiting various crimes. A waste of his potential. If he really has all these powers he should be using them to really take over the town, and the Batbot, while undeniably cool, just seems a little too...sci-fi for Batman. The characters are OK in this. Batman is just like last time, a cool, mysterious Caped Crusader who is kind and understanding beneath the cape and cowl and ruthless to his enemies. Alfred is good too, and this episode focuses a lot on his relationship with his master, how he may get fed up of rescuing him all the time and he is genuinely concerned when Batman is so severely injured. It is also shown how he is ever-loyal to Batman and would never leave him, and it is rather touching how faithful Alfred is. As for the villain, the infamous Bane he is good. Just good, not spectacular. His voice is nice and menacing and his new design looks scary, and he is obviously a confident and emotionless killer and it is great to see him as the one who breaks the Bat. But his motive seems unclear after he defeats Batman and so much more could have been done with this character. This episode is like the first one, good, but could have been better. A little worse than the previous episode, but only a little. It has good music, good animation and generally a good cast of characters, but a lot more good have been done with this one, earning it a 7.0, when it could have been at least an 8.5.
  • Bat bot owns all.

Two thugs are frustrated with the vigilante ways of The Batman. They hire a mercenary named Bane. In his first course of action, Bane robbed a truck filled with money. Little did Batman realize that it was a trap to lure him. The two get in a heated battle, but things changed quickly when Bane turned into a hulking red version of himself. Batman was sent flying through a couple walls, and fractured some of his bones. He was unable to fight for a couple of weeks, so he resorted to the next best thing; the bat bot! He caught Bane by surprise. Though even with the bat bot, Batman was still losing. He was able to defeat him by sticking an exposed wire into his injection tubes that makes him the monster he is. Bane was captured.

Interesting episode, awesome fight. I'm a huge fan of mechas, so seeing this episode was a real treat. Just the loud clashes of metal pounding each other, and the electricity that's spilling out of wires from a destroyed arm, just satisfies my tastes. Though even outside of the fights, the episode was at least above average to solid. The relationship between Alfred and Bruce in this episode was a little bit shaky, and that small flashback scene delivered well. Overall, worthwhile episode to watch.