The Batman

Aired Saturday 11:30 AM Sep 25, 2004 on The CW

• Mob bosses who are tired of Batman decide to hire a man named Bane to take him out. At first glance he looks like a normal person but he can transform into a massive monster upon will. His physical strength useless, Batman must find a new method to fight.

The second episode of The Batman continues the nice vibe set by the first. This storyline shifts gears the mob that Batman has been taking down. Sadly, we don't get a lot of insight into these mob figures, with them having extremely little screen time, and are really only shown as a way of getting Bane into the show. We never learn how Batman took them down, or even their names for that matter. However, we do get to see the new version of Bane in all his glory.
    This version of Bane is a bit off, but mostly on. He is depicted as a mysterious figure (we never see his face or learn his real name) but a menacing one none the less. His massive figure when activated is very powerful looking, more so then any other depiction. He is also able to physically defeat Batman, which is a nice change from Joker getting whooped last episode. However, the downside is that the intelligent side of Bane isn't shown, and he is mostly all brawn. Hopefully we'll see more of the strategist side of bane in future appearances.
    The main characters continue to be great, with a very deep subplot that develops the relationship between Bruce and Alfred, and a well intigrated flashback showing the two of them. Using Bruce's injuries as the pivotal point of this, it actually becomes more emotional than originally thought. Plus, the final battle between Bane and the BatBot is just plain cool. Altogether, this is a great episode that builds on the characters established last episode to great extent.